What's new

I'm looking to upgrade my display TV I've been reading about lip sync issues. (1 Viewer)

Mike Clemens

Auditioning
My current system is a Panasonic Plasma TV connected via HDMI to Yamaha AV receiver. I get my TV via ROKU which goes into the Yamaha and provides sound from speakers connected to the Yamaha. I don't use the TV speakers at all. My sound syncs perfectly with the TV.

I want to upgrade the TV to either an LG 77 inch CX OLED, or a Samsung 85 inch Q90T. Both are 4k. Do you expect I'll have sound sync because of the TV's input lag? If so, what to do?

I'd also like comments about which TV I should choose.
Thanks in advance.
MikeC

Mike Clemens

Auditioning
Yes. My Yamaha RX V3900 does have audio delay settings, but it's not 4K. How about if I run the 4K Roku and Blue Ray player into two HDMI ports on the TV, and run the TVs optical audio out into the Yamaha?

Also, I've decided to go with the Samsung 85 Q90t with local dimming. Not as good a picture as OLED, but I've read enough about oled pixel wearing and burn it to scare me away. Sure the TV looks good when new, but there are plenty of burn in pics on the web after only a few weeks of use. Kind of reminds me of my KLOSS Novavision projector of long ago. The phosphorus would age and grow dim in a short time. I'm not repeating that mess. I think OLED is a flash in the pan and will be replaced by a non wearing technology. YMMV

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Yes. My Yamaha RX V3900 does have audio delay settings, but it's not 4K. How about if I run the 4K Roku and Blue Ray player into two HDMI ports on the TV, and run the TVs optical audio out into the Yamaha?

I don't think input lag would be an issue but that's the only sensible way to proceed if you want to take advantage of your new TV's 4K capability. Using Optical out to the Yamaha will limit the audio formats available to you [lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 or lower] but I'm assuming that's probably the next thing to be upgraded anyway.

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
You might have issues getting the best sound formats (Atmos and DTS:X) if you use an optical cable to send the sound to the receiver. I am not sure, but the eARC HDMI port on your TV might work to send audio to an HDMI input on the receiver. I have never tried this setup, so I cannot comment on whether or not it works. If it does, you should be able to get the better sound formats.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks