What's new

If Batman ever comes to DVD.... (1 Viewer)

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

More than likely that's the release of the new animated show "The Batman". As I recall, there was a similar confusion upon its U.S. release on DVD where several sites had it wrongly listed as the '66 Adam West series.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The Norway release that is coming is from Warner Bros., which makes it likely it is the latest animated show. The 1966 series, if and when it comes, will probably be from 20th Century Fox.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Hate to say it guys, but Gord talked to the studios. It *still* isn't happening, dammit, despite reports of what Adam West said at a con. That's all I've got for you: it's a "no, still not yet". They didn't say "never", but there is still a lot of legal stuff to be worked out. Sigh... :frowning:

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks, Dave, for the update even if it is disappointing news.

One wonders what West's motives were in saying "coming soon". Maybe he just thought he'd make a room of Bat-fans happy.

Holy Misinformation Batman!

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
It took many years for Warners and King Features to work out an arrangement for Popeye to be released. DC Comics and Fox may someday come to an agreement concerning Batman .

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I just read through that...dear god. Unless my reading comprehension is way off track, this is something to settle between DC and Fox. Warner would get zero profits from it period. On the overall corporate bottom line, sure. But not for the home video division.

Since in the WB discussion, they clearly say that the sixties "Batman" DVD release is entirely a Fox and DC matter, can this point at least be accepted as a fact? Or does WB still have a say about the characters simply because of its current movie franchise. I wouldn't think they could have a say about a work that preceded their current one, so my belief is that WB doesn't enter into the picture on a DVD release of the series.

With that established, another question brought up here was of individuals whose estates stand a chance of getting a piece of the property in this new format, most prominently William Dozier, Howie Horwitz and Bob Kane (or is the cut of Kane's estate covered by the DC royalties?), and I'm not sure if Stanley Ralph Ross' having written 32 of the episodes might give his estate a significant claim. But I don't think any of these cases could be what has held up this release for so long, as they seem the type of potential differences that might make it to court, but wouldn't kill such a significant deal without a more public battle.

Also, if it is like other corporate owners of movie studios, the Fox board of directors is likely more focused on a certain high short-term yield rather than holding out for a somewhat better one in the long-term one because of simple greed. And as the WB movies aren't their concern, it is unlikely they would care how exposure to the classic series would affect whether fans welcome or reject Christian Bale or any successors in the cowl over the next generation.

Which leads me to a worrisome conclusion. Can it be that the prime problem prohibiting a DVD release is in DC itself? I have heard for decades the diehard fans of the very dark-themed comic version of "Batman" have held the Adam West series in such low regard as to think of it as an embarrassment to the property they were so devoted to in its original form. Has this mindset made its way into the current regime at DC to such a level that, much like George Lucas wanting to eliminate all copies of "The Star Wars Holiday Special" and even the definitive versions of the original "Star Wars" trilogy, the devotees of the more recent, totally unromantic and humorless "Batman" projects, would actually prefer for this most popular one to disappear from memory, almost as if to spite those of us who enjoyed a Bruce Wayne who would do the Batusi to one who lost all humanity when putting on the Bat costume?

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
It may be that Wartner Brothers wants to release the series. But in any event, both Fox and Warner could keep this tug of war going on forever. Warner blocking Fox and Fox blocking Warner. If Fox hgas first rights to the series they could take Warner Brothers to court and force them to allow the series to be brought to DVD.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Doubtful. DC Comics has licensed the '66 Batman for statutes and other items, just within the past year. Its own DC Direct toy division is making some of these items. DC obviously was okay enough with the property to agree to the 1966 Batman movie coming to DVD a few years ago. Very likely this is about money, not image.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Ah- someone beat me to it! It's on the Yahoo! news site as well. By the way, Ms. Potter is William Dozier's daughter by his marriage to Joan Fontaine. As some of you may know, Mr. Dozier was also the narrator for the series. I'm afraid this suit is yet another roadblock towards getting Batman on DVD. One question: how much does Dozier's widow, actress Ann Rutherford (GWTW, "Andy Hardy" series) own of Greenway Productions?

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Although I agree with you that it's about money, not image, the reason the film came out was not because DC was okay with it, but because Fox owns the rights to the movie outright. That's why the movie was released on video years ago, too. Fox didn't have to ask Warner for any permissions.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Sadly, no matter what deal gets worked out, the actors and crew of the original show will get diddly squat.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

Sadder than that, the show may not get released to DVD for many years, so many that by the time the show gets considered for release, the fanbase (those who who grew up watching the show) may be either too old to care about it, or may even be dead...That's how bad the situation seems to have gotten. :frowning:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
This lawsuit is likely to delay any release even more until it is resolved. However, its resolution will likely include a provision for DVD and future media rights.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

We all know how long lawsuits drag on in our court system. Unless it's settled out of court, I don't see Batman being released in my lifetime.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks