What's new

If Batman ever comes to DVD.... (1 Viewer)

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
I'm still holding out hope for the Batman series. If Warner can negotiate with the Salkinds/Salkind estate to secure the rights to a special edition of Superman II* (something I thought would NEVER happen), then anything is indeed possible.

*supposedly due out this summer, 2006

I'm curious where you heard about the special edition of Superman II. I absolutely love that film and am very interested in the new release. Is there an URL I can link to to read about it?

Angela_K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
It was at Superman Homepage:

October 27, 2005: Richard Donner Working on “Superman II†DVD
The latest edition of DreamWatch magazine includes an article on the fan-made "Restored International Cut" of Superman II, but even better than that, it notes that director Richard Donner (who was removed from the film after having already directed most scenes) has now been hired to work on a Special Edition DVD of "Superman II".

It's still very early days, so anything can happen from here on in, but we'll be following the story closely.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
With all due respect, I get skeptical anytime a studio exec says "never". It sometimes comes across as postering; as if they're trying to paint the other party as the bad guy; as in "Hey, we want to release it, but XYZ won't let us".

I have a sneaky suspicion that this source is the same person who said the Charlie Chan films would likely not be released. Of course, they're now in the pipeline to be released next year.

Things change. Sometimes all it takes is a change in personnel at one or both of the parties.

I believe Batman will eventually get released. It may not be in 2006, but it will. With Adam West pushing 80, I just hope it happens while he is still able to make meaningful contributions to the DVDs.

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

Sorry Tony, while I did enjoy the Superman movies, the only REAL Superman to me will always be George Reeves. I did enjoy Chistopher Reeve, but he (as well as everyone else besides George) will always be considered more of a "Superboy" in my book. I enjoyed Chirstopher's Superman(boy), but not his Clark. Much in the same way I enjoyed Kirk Alyn's Clark, but not Superman. To me, George will always be the only "real" Superman and Clark Kent, the same as Adam will always be the only Batman and Bruce Wayne.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
I think Christopher Reeve came across to me as too buffoonish as Clark Kent. I thought George Reeves did a much better job of striking a balance.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Superman should always look youthful because his strength also prevents him from aging. Ideally, he should be portrayed as someone in his early 20's in peak physical condition.

Brandon.B

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandon.B
Poor Frank Gorshin won't be able to make any new contributions to the set now:frowning: :angry:

I want this set so badly and time is literally running out.

Phyll

Stunt Coordinator
Batman rules!! I can't believe it's not out yet-however I think next year should be the year the studios come out with it to capitalize on the 40th anniversary of the series. Someone needs to find out who is responsible for the holdup. Whoever it is probably has never even seen an episode of the show and doesn't even have a driver's license yet!! They probably don't even know who Adam West is!! Or Julie Newmar-meow!!! Well as long as people in power keep acting like babies we the customers suffer. The good thing is that people leave jobs and some even get fired. I mean whoever is making this wrong decision right now will probably change their mind later. Don't you Batman fans think this dvd would sell bigtime!! I think it would be very popular.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Regarding the Batman situation: has anyone contacted actress Ann Rutherford of Gone With the Wind and Andy Hardy fame? As the widow of Batman producer William Dozier, she would have some inside info as to why this shocking delay has occurred. There's been rumours that the families of the show's producers have been negotiating over the DVD rights and residuals with Fox. I'm sure she could shed some light here.....

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
Ron,

here are two lines I'd use on anyone resistant to making a deal:

1. Any deal nets more than no deal.
2. A deal now or very soon allows double dipping (or more) when HD comes around. In other words, they won't be able to sell to this generation as well, once HD is more firmly in the air and cheaper.

I encourage others to chime in with Batman ***now*** arguments that help those in power understand their own self interest. That is where the argument likely lies between the various rights-holders. They just don't understand that they will make more money w/Batman than without.

Thanks, Dan

MattSav

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt

Unless the original film recordings of the Batman series from the 60's still exist, HD transfers will not benefit from any increased resolution. If the series only exists on videotaped masters, then the 480 lines of resoution that DVD offers would be the best the program would look.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Increased resolution isn't the only benefit of HD disc technology. The higher capacity of storage on such a disc means that - at 480 resolution - you could have a complete series on just a few discs (or perhaps on a single disc, for a series as short as Batman...I'm not up for doing the math right now to figure out how many Blu-ray discs it would take to contain Batman at 480 res, but off the top of my head it can't be more than 1 or 2).

That leaves an "HD double-dip" open as a possibility to get the entire run of a given show (that's already complete on DVD) at a great price point, with more extras, in a fashion that takes up less room at home.

For some shows, the HD double-dip offers a chance for improvement over the DVD version: CSI season one needs a release in proper OAR; Roseanne, Cosby Show, and ALF need non-syndicated cuts; Quantum Leap (among many others) needs original music. Getting the show at the actual HD resolution may be a "bonus" feature as far as many fans are concerned when it comes to TV-HDDVDs/TV-Blurays. I mean, I know that one of my favorite shows (ST:TNG) will almost certainly never look any better than it does now, but that doesn't mean Paramount won't find a reason to sell an "HD" format disc release of it. ;)

LizH

Second Unit

Actually, a British company called Entertainment Rights owns the Filmation library.

BCI just has the DVD rights.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Entertainment Rights owns the Filmation library, as LizH says, with the exception of things that Filmation was contracted to animate but that they never owned the actual property to. Star Trek: TAS, for instance.

BCI has negotiated to buy the licenses for the DVD rights to selected shows (He-Man and New Adv. of He-Man), but not to others (for instance, BCI would love to put out She-Ra, but Entertainment Rights has not decided at this time to sell that license to BCI or anyone else).

Other companies have the opportunities to get other rights, just like UrbanWorks (because of Cosby's influence) got the rights to Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids.

Filmation-owned shows whose licenses have not yet been sold by Entertainment Rights can still go to anyone, in theory. I believe Bravestarr is among those.

Tarzan and Batman and other recognizable characters that Filmation did may be - heck, are very LIKELY to be - in the same positions as Star Trek: TAS...not owned enough by Ent. Rts. enough so that they may be the ones to sell the license. For any DC Comics character, I think you better look to Warner first and foremost.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

Dave is correct; Entertainment Rights doesn't own those shows. I've seen the list of titles that they own and those aren't on the list. I don't remember all the titles from memory, but I remember thinking the only shows of interest were He-Man, She-Ra and a couple of others (like Ghost-busters - the one with the ape).

Gord

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
For what it is worth, and it may not be much, at the recent Detroit Comic Con convention, Adam West apparently said that the DVDs were "coming soon". Here is a quote from a posting at the Batman message board:

Burt is Burt "Robin" Ward and Yvonne Craig played Batgirl. I'm skeptical that all 3 seasons would be released at once, but one would think Adam West would be somewhat knowledgable about the situation. In an interview I read last year he said he didn't know what was going on with the DVDs so presumably something has happened to alter his response.

Here's a link to two threads at this site about this:

http://www.66batman.com/cgi-bin/yabb...num=1148573087

http://www.66batman.com/cgi-bin/yabb...num=1148419034

Again, this should be treated with caution, but it may be the ray of hope that we've all been waiting for.

Steve

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Hmmm, straight from Adam West's mouth, eh? Well, that's better than some Internet report, but I'd wait til we have word from the studio to get really excited. Still, great report; thanks for posting!

Random Hero

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
The possibility of all 3 seasons at once? If I am not mistaken, there were 120 episodes. How much would this set run? Somewhere in the $150-200 range?

Well, let's not get excited yet.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
They could be released all at once in different configurations, sort of like the first "Seinfeld" releases, two "volumes" available seperately or together.

Daniel-M

Second Unit
Hm, the Complete first Season of the Batman series with Adam West is now scheduled to be released on August 9 2006 in Norway

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks