What's new

I want a really really strong sub. Sunfire or is SVS the way to go? (1 Viewer)

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Outside of the internet, SVS really is not that well known. That should change once some reviews get published which I think will happen soon.

As for other subs to look at, definitely have a look at Hsu. The new STF line will be available in October and look to be a value leader.

Sheldon C

Second Unit
Cool, I always wanted to be in a cult.

I'm going to wear a white long sleeved shirt and a tie and go door to door with my svs so I can convert some of the "lost souls" out there. Everyone deserves a chance at salvation.:D

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor

LMAO!

Knock, knock.

Door opens and woman looks at you apprehensively.

"Excuse me maam, does your husband currently have a B**e Lifestyle stereo? Would he be interested in listening to a sub I have in my white van? If you listen to our sub and don't like it, we'll give you a free bottle of Tide detergent."

Jay Foster

Stunt Coordinator
Hi everyone,

I posted a few days ago about my Cerwin Vega sub and given my reading, I am definitely looking at an SVS sub. However, I am curious. . . Eric, can you have the guy you tested with post his comments about the SVS sub he heard as Tom asked? I'd like to know his thoughts about his purchase.

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Well cool guys. Im sorry that I got you all fired up. Well I work at soundtrack so I can get sunfire at a great deal and Deftech at an absolutly killer deal. I bet you all might think about buying def tech stuff too if you knew about the deal I get it at. Well anyways. I tried a search and no one in my area has an SVS. But Im going to email them and see if they can hook me up. What Im going to do is to listen to a few different subs we have here, pick one and if I still dont like it enough I may try an SVS. Unless I can get a demo here somewhere. I wont be getting anything till about x-mas anyways. So I got a bit to look around.

DavidVT

Stunt Coordinator
Jesse,

It definetly was not you. Just go with what sounds good to your ears, and is easier on your wallet. That way you can save up for the next biggest and best thing, whatever that may be :)

Good luck on your search

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Jesse,

I can't speak for the Sunfire as I have very little experience with them. However, I also used to be able to get that 'absolutely killer deal' on Def Tech too .;) I actually did too (PF15TL+) but got rid of it after a year. It just didn't perform near to the level I wanted and I felt my system was better off without a sub than having that one. Not accurate enough and too boomy. IMHO, going from that sub to SVS is like going from tee ball to the majors.

Alex

Bill Polley

Second Unit
I stop in at AudioReview.com every once in a while just to check ratings on what I own and may want to own. When I look up subwoofers and go through brand by brand, SVS has huge ratings for every single sub they have. Other brands have either very few reviews (esoteric brands) or mixed reviews depending on model and price. SVS as a brand is fantastic across the board, and speaking first hand, I can say that their customer service is outstanding as well.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Jesse,

Ron Stimpson, the "S" in SVS, lives in Colorado Springs. I'm certain that he must have at least ONE SVS for you to listen to. ;) Is Colorado Springs close to you? Might be worth the trip...

No one that was in the room thought any different. We all 100% agreed that the b15 made the pb2 look very sad.
First off, I find it difficult that the b15 would make it sound "sad." Perhaps ya'll prefered it, fine...but the PB2+ sad? And you do realize that all you're saying in the quote is that "the B15 cult prefered the Revel." A bit of hypocrisy, it seems.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
For the record, I have not heard either sub mentioned but do take issue with something posted on the Revel website:

"An extremely low-distortion, 1,000-watt (rms) amplifier with 1,400-watt burst capability produces peak bass output up to 126 dB at 30 Hz in a standard listening room."

Ummm...I'm sorry but there isn't a single 15" driver based sub on the planet that is capable of this type of output. Not commercially available anyway and not in a sealed enclosure.

Sebastian

Second Unit
Jesse, you can just take a look at this thread and decide whos info is more reliable. One shady remark against the SVS against several high praises. I guess I am lumped into the DIY and SVS cult club because a own a DIY sono sub using an SVS driver.
Looks like Eric has some issues.
Anyway, As for us being cult, that's a lie! We are just a bunch of guys/gals who have found a great deal with SVS or DIY and want other people to enjoy what they have been missing.
Sorry Eric, for being nice and hooking people up with a great deal with an SVS. A cult, please, now that is plain silly!
I guess when you find a great deal on something you keep it all to yourself? or do you say "hey I like this product give it a try?"
No difference between you recommending Revel than us recommending SVS or DIY.
Jesse,
In case you haven't guess, I recommend the SVS route unless you can save some serious cash/money on another quality sub.
Good Luck!

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
"An extremely low-distortion, 1,000-watt (rms) amplifier with 1,400-watt burst capability produces peak bass output up to 126 dB at 30 Hz in a standard listening room."Ummm...I'm sorry but there isn't a single 15" driver based sub on the planet that is capable of this type of output. Not commercially available anyway and not in a sealed enclosure.
While I can't offer any objective data I was under the impression that the Tumult for instance would do it,I mean 30 hz isn't that difficult for a quality driver like that,no?

Robert Lovejoy

Stunt Coordinator
You owe it to your body to go SVS. They have a great return policy in the unlikely event you are dissatisfied. But if you like copious amounts of clean deep bass (when called for) and non-boomy music, You'll love whatever model you choose. (They'll even help you pick a model if you give them room stats...)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Lewis,

No, the Tumult won't do it in a sealed enclosure. Assuming a 69L enclosure (approx. 2.4ft^3) and 1400W of power you're looking at about 114dB anechoic at 30Hz. With room gain you might get up to 120dB but not 126dB. Now if you add a second Tumult with the same amount of power you'd be in the 120dB range anechoic!

So I'm assuming that Revel took this measurement in a broom closet with the mic about an inch from the driver's cone.

I do have a Tumult in 53L with an LT circuit and "only" 800W from a K2. I'd take it over any sealed sub on the market that I'm aware of.

terence

Supporting Actor
So I'm assuming that Revel took this measurement in a broom closet with the mic about an inch from the driver's cone.
LOL! It makes you wonder how a lot speaker companies come up with their numbers. Especially when they make increideble claims and never tell how they acheived these fantastic SPL's.

JohnDG

Stunt Coordinator
As for us being cult, that's a lie!
I donno about that... Ever since an SVS invaded the house: pictures are moving, the animals are behaving strangly, and one of the buried water pipes starting leaking. Looks like an evil, malevolent force of some kind to me. :)

jdg

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
130/30hz isn't a big deal if they haven't given any mic distances or thd limits(or room size)

Nousaine measured the old 20-39cs hitting 115dB/31hz at 2 meters in his huge 7500 cu-ft room with a 10% thd limit. At 1m that would be more like 119-121. Remove the thd limits and put the mic a couple of inches from the cone and I bet you would be closing in on 123-125 without much fanfare? Room gain won't enter into it unles the room is very small, but room boundary effects will. It would be cool to see th b15 Nousaine-d someday. Soundvision just did a big subwoofer showdown using more budget oriented models...maybe they have one planned for the big boppers too? Revel, DD18, SW12, MK5000, Whise, Triad Plat, ect.

Tom V.
SVS

Eric_Strickl

Stunt Coordinator
No self promotion at all
is great. If you were not promoting yourself why is it so important to point it out that you are not?

At the end of the day this is really pointless. I could get a panel of guys together to listen to the hgs18 vs. svs and even if the hgs18 won in every test and in everyone’s minds you still would not here it. That is why you guys are a cult.

Ohh yeah and what’s the deal with the guys above who knocked me for saying good things and bad things about svs. Are you silly or just trying to bash me??? Why is it wrong to think that the svs is inferior to the b15 but still a good sub??? I love my girlfriend but at the same time I hate her. It’s the same thing. In my opinion when I listened to the svs I wished I was listening to another sub. Does that mean that svs sucks?? Not entirely I could name of 10 or 15 subs that I think get crushed by the svs. It was better than any Klipch, any polk, most of the paradigms, the mirage bps and om subs but it just can’t touch great subs like the b15 or hgs18.

TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!!!!! Any self respecting audiophile will agree that this is the best way to go. Sure you can send it back but that is after you have bought the sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks