What's new

I need a sub recommendation (1 Viewer)

CM-76

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris M
I am in the process of setting up my first system and all I have left to get is a sub. Currently I have a Denon AVR2112CI, and Def Tech DI 6.5 LCR in wall speakers. I am only going to run left and right front channels and a sub. This is due mainly to room layout and not being able to get the full benefit of the rear surrounds. On to the sub. My listening will be a pretty even split between movies, music and also gaming. My room dimensions are 20x17, 8ft ceilings, just a standard living room that opens up to other rooms in the house. I would like a sub that would fit under an end table so no more than twenty inches high. And finally I would like to be in the $500 area with a few options above and below that number. Thank you all for your time Chris

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
An open floor plan with a 20" limit on height. That's going to be tough. What are the limits on the other dimensions? Depending on your answer, you may have difficulty finding a retail sub that fits and performs to your (and my) expectations. Have you thought about building a sub? Maybe a sub that looks like an end table? Welcome to the forum. It's always nice to have another local guy here.

CM-76

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris M
Robert, 16x18x20 would be the absolute max dims I could go with. I really need it to fit under that end table. The floor plan isn't really that open (I don't think) it just has a large 48" door way to the kitchen, with a couple of other doors going to a hallway and a bedroom. Surely somebody makes a nice 10" or 12" sub that would do the trick. I have not really considered building my own, due to lack of time. I already have too many hobbies. The thing about Memphis, about all we really got is that Best Buy on Winchester with the Magnolia room Chris

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
16x18x20 is small for a ported sub so we will go with sealed. Most of these don't take full advantage of the size but they will fit and are proven performers. eD A5s-300 - http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_138&products_id=681 SVS SB12 NSD - http://www.svsound.com/subwoofers/sealed-box/sb12-nsd?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=11&category_id=6 Rythmik F12 - http://rythmikaudio.com/F12.html Hsu Research VTF-1 - http://hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-1.html Epik Subwoofers Legend - http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/products.html (I can't load that page but I remember it should be under your required dimensions)

CM-76

Auditioning
Real Name
Chris M
Robert, thanks so much for your input. I am interested in some of the choices you offer but I am concerned that some of the woofer cones are made of some type of "paper". How would that effect the life of the sub? Would they be less stiff than another material and would that lack of stiffness cause a flex or distortion of the cone. Another sub I am interested in is the Emotiva X-Ref series. It seems to be pretty good as well. You know they are located right outside of Nashville, so that is next day shipping. After doing a little digging around, I think a DIY sub is an interesting idea. After looking at some photos, it is definitely something I could handle. For me to do it, and for it to be worth it I would consider a couple of things: 1. It would have to fit my size requirements. The smaller the better, 14x14x14 or so would be ideal. I guess I could go a little bigger 2. I should be able to save some decent money for comparable performance OR get much better performance for the same money. In other words I don't want to build if I only save $100, unless I can get much better performance for the same money I know it is really nice to have ground shaking bass, But with the smaller size requirements I may have to give that up, but hopefully still have a good sound quality at a decent level. What do you think. What would you use? And so on Thanks again Chris

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Paper pulp cones are stronger than they were 10 years ago. A 15" 'paper' cone can support about 200 pounds before deforming. And I put paper in quotes because it is usually paper pulp reinforced with fiberglass and/or kevlar for additional strength. If you don't believe me, a local guy can get me cones from blown subs so that you can personally test this. I'm familiar with Emotiva and their amps but not their subs. Sounds like an awesome sub but I have no idea if it will live up to the hype. Their amps do. 1. You could emulate the Emotiva with a small, sealed sub; power amp and digital parametric EQ. It's not as user friendly but it is more flexible. $300 for the driver, $300 for the amp and $100 for the EQ. But you are looking at about 1,600w of power and more potential output from the sub. 2. Yes, you could do either one depending on the route you choose. A cheaper option is $175 for the driver and $250 for the amp. No EQ. Fit and finish are really left to your skill level and patience. I'm DIY all the way. I run a Behringer EP-2500 amp and dual 15" TC-3000 drivers with a Behringer Feedback Destroyer for the EQ. I also have about 20 different subs ranging from 8" to 21" to play with. I even have a one of a kind sub specifically designed for my home theater by a guy down in Sarah, MS. I gave him the specs and he built it to order. I did fry version 1 but that was user error by a friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks