What's new

Hz question on old reciever and bass shakers (1 Viewer)

ace peterson

Second Unit
I was thinking of getting some Aura Bass Shaker Pro's and hooking them up through an old Pioneer receiver of mine (251x-r or something) like I've seen some of you describe on past threads. However, I dug out the old manual for this receiver and the specs read: 50 watts per channel at 8 ohms; ranging 40Hz to 20,000Hz with 0.8 THD. I think the wattage per channel is OK for these, but how about this 40Hz range? Does that mean I won't feel anything from the shakers if the LFE is below 40Hz?

Thanks in advance.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Ace,

The 40Hz spec is not a brick wall number. All it means is that the receiver’s response is (presumably) flat to 40Hz, and rolls out below that point.

So to answer your question, no, it doesn’t mean you won’t feel anything below 40Hz. It means that energy below 40Hz will be less, gradually reduced the lower the signal goes, much like a crossover slope rating (i.e., xxdB per octave). How fast the signal rolls off below 40Hz, of course, is anybody’s guess.

That’s the bad news. The good news is that you most likely can restore the lost bottom end with an equalizer.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks