What's new

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Shout Factory continues to release some noteworthy films created for IMAX screens in the UHD disc format, and MacGillivray Freeman’s Humpback Whales is no exception, and makes for another terrific demo disc for the new format.

Disc Information

Studio:
Distributed By:
Video Resolution:

Aspect Ratio:
Audio:

Subtitles:
Rating:

Run Time:
Package Includes:

Case Type:

Disc Type:
Region:

Release Date:
MSRP:

The Production:

Video:
3D Rating:

Audio:

Special Features:

Overall:

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks for the review, Todd. I have the Bluray version, which I thought looked and sounded excellent as well. I was disappointed that the Digital Copy was not UV, though. I find the old DC format useless.

My wife and I both enjoyed the film. We've been whale watching about a dozen times in Hawaii, Alaska, Maine and Boston, so the subject matter is of great interest to us. The film really highlighted some of the behaviors we have witnessed live over the years -- breaching, bubble net feeding, singing, etc.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'll have to check my copy of American Cinematographer, but I believe this was actually shot in 2D, and then post-converted to 3D. That may explain why the 3D isn't as impressive as it is for other IMAX titles. I believe AC also said it was primarily shot with a new kind of digital camera rig that allowed the camera to be constantly rolling for hours without actually recording any footage to a hard drive, so that they could keep the cameras pointed in the directions of where they thought the whales would be without having to worry about getting up to speed in time, and then only save footage that actually had whales to the hard drive after it happened. Sounded like pretty cool stuff.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The website for the film indicates it was shot mostly in 15-perf/65mm IMAX. No mention is it was native 3D or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks