What's new

HTF's own Gregg Loewen professionaly calibrates my new Toshiba RPTV (1 Viewer)

Zbigniew

Stunt Coordinator
Scott and Les - I am in Northern VA ( Ashburn ), and would like to invite Gregg here.
It make 3 of us;
Gregg, when do you have open slot in calendar for a trip to MD/VA area ?
let's switch to private e-mail; if anyone from MD/DC/VA is also interested in such visit, please contact me via e-mail as [email protected].
_zjt

Brian Alan

Agent
This may not be an appropriate question for this thread, but how would calibration affect my ability to watch broadcast TV? Ron's review makes me want to get my set calibrated right this second, but I watch probably 70% broadcast TV, and I want to be sure that calibration for DVD isn't going to adversely affect my broadcast TV viewing. (I need Survivor 4 to come in clear!)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
A few Months Back Gregg calibrated my Mits 65807, let me tell you there's no man more dedicated to his love of Home Theater. Gregg Painstakingly tweaked and retweaked till he got it where he was satified with it. Let me tell you for the hours it takes gregg, your set becomes his set. If he would'nt settle for a setting he won't compromise for you either. Ron I share your amazement with your set, calibration really brings out those small details previously hidden. Anyone thinking of calibration, you want a complete job, invite Gregg to your house, you will not be dissapointed.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
A friend of mine who just got a 57HX81 got a quote of 700 to 800 dollars for a calibation here in the Twin Cities.

That would be more that 1/3 of what I paid for my 50H81!!!!!!!!

I realize that it takes a lot of time, but I really couldn't convince the wife for that price!

Chris White

Second Unit
Gregg --
Are you thinking about doing this full time or do plan on continuing to save lives occasionally? :)
Surely you have a conference/meeting coming soon in Orlando don't you?

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Randy,
My fee is $400 for a standard calibration. $550 if adding HD calibration to the mix. All my calibrations are the "full meal deal". If not in New England I also charge $50 a person towards airfare and other expenses.
Chris,
Id love to come back to Florida. Not a chance in this beocming a full time thing as then I would become dependent on it and it would no long be fun. So Ill just keep on saving lives!! :)
Gregg

John_Witt

Auditioning
What kind of improvement would one expect from an interlaced RPTV? My TV cannot accept a progressive signal (A Toshiba bought in 98).

Brian that is a good question. I contacted a local ISF technician and he told me that my cable signal would be worse after calibration. Can someone confirm this?

Daniel TB

Grip
Someone earlier asked about the benefits of professionally calibrating a 36" direct view. I'd be interested if someone had an answer, as I have a 32" pansonic 480p set (CT-32XF56) that probably could deliver a much better progressive scan picture if properly calibrated. Any thoughts? Also, this TV cost $1299 when purchased 2 1/2 years ago, so what would be a fair price for an ISF calibration? Thanks.

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
I'm window shopping for RPTVs now, I should be making the plunge in a few months. I was planning to just use VE to calibrate it, but if I were to have a pro do it.. how much would it cost? Doesn't sound like Gregg services the Philadelphia area :) TVs that I've been looking at are in the $4000 price range, that's prolly as high as I'll be able to go when I get it...

W

Will

Noticed this link in the AVS Forum where Michael TLV writes on 01-19-02:
I will be diplomatically blunt. The thread is propaganda ... there is manipulation of the facts going on. A distortion of reality. Not too different from the paid commercial spots on TV about how great a cosmetic cream works or engine oil or juicer. This is not to say that the product is bad, you simply cannot trust the messenger.
The man is learning ... and learning fast. He has developed a passion for this work as a hobby much like myself. He is getting better all the time. But he is still training ... apprenticing. The straight forward calibration is fine ... but what happens when things don't go smoothly ... the TV throws a curve ... I am uncertain if he could work his way out of it. It's the subtleties of the entire calibration effort that may cause problems.
It is one thing to teach a man the mechanics of painting, but that does not mean that the man is an artist. In time he may develop into one ...
Now by choosing to do it all ... he has surpassed what most of the ISF people out there offer in terms of services and knowledge.

W

Will

Gregg,

Yep, it's all about you. You're famous!

Incidentally I have a calibration question. I bought a Pioneer Elite RPTV recently. How long after its arrival should I wait before calibrating it? Should I wait weeks or months? I'm not watching it for more than a couple hours every other day or so. Thanks!

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
After reading all the posts on this thread up to the one before this, it's interesting to me that neither of the two posts that asked about calibrating direct view sets have gotten some kind of answer. (As yet?)
Many of us HTF'ers have direct view sets and are interested if calibrating them would be a beneficial thing.
Personally, I've asked an ISF technician in the local Sacramento, CA area, if I could get my new set, at the time, a new Sony KW-34HD1 HDTV (34" direct view widescreen) calibrated after I purchased it. He was very hesitant to give me an answer because it was the first HDTV direct view that was offered to him for this service and high resolution generators and procedures were not known. Being internet savvy and purchasing (myself), all the service manuals and documents for the set didn't make a difference. Many of you probably remember when I posted my experiences here on the HTF years ago. The same reaction was experienced when I wanted my RCA 16x9 direct view 34" CinemaScreen DTV circa 1994-95 and all the manuals purchased. Giving them my phone# if and when they felt ready to tackle both didn't help.
Now I see (hesitation?) or lack of interest in answering the question on this thread. Can I get a response out of some of you to tell us if it's not necessary for a direct view or the unpredictability involved when tackling a direct view HDTV?
Any answer would be better than none.:) And I've waited so long.
Currently I still have the Sony KW-34HD1 dual native 1080i & 480P YPbPr component input) and a new Sampo 34" direct view widescreen with native 1080i, 720P & 480P YPbPr component in, and RGB VGA inputs. The RCA CinemaScreen was given to my kids.;)
What's the latest news about calibrating these TV's?
Regards,
Paul

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Doing the grayscale on a directview is also an absolute must if you want your colours to be correct. Obviously there is less to do in a tube set and the procedure is fairly quick. Accuracy of grayscale on tube sets is generally much better than the projectors.

I calibrate directview tube sets all the time for clients and of course all tube sets in my home are done right.

When the grayscale is done right ... it looks nice ... and the $225 srp does not break the bank.

Regards

Daniel TB

Grip
michael tlv, thanks for the response. would you say that a calibration has a high or low "bang for the buck" factor on a 32" direct view? and how do bad lighting conditions play into it? from what i've read, it appears that a properly calibrated set is significantly dimmer. that worries me, as i live in an apartment with many windows -- it is infeasible to cover with anything but miniblinds. most of my viewing is at night, but i fear that a calibration will make my sunday football games unwatchable on all but the most overcast of days.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks