What's new

HTF's own Gregg Loewen professionaly calibrates my new Toshiba RPTV (1 Viewer)

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Thanks Michael for the fast response!
The information is very much appreciated. If there is a group interest in this area, maybe you or some other confident qualified ISF person, may consider coming down to this area for a calibration feast.:D
Fellow HTF'er and administrator Chris Maynard is in this area too - - he and/or other interested parties around here may realize a need to calibrate or even recalibrate their Home Theaters?:b Definitely, I'll be interested.:)
Paul

Marc_M

Auditioning
Could anyone comment on any peculiarities relating to the calibration of an Elite 710? For instance, would you recommend removal of the protective glass screen? Would one expect the same degree of improvement in picture quality?

In addition, once calibrated, assuming the set is not moved, what is the recommended frequency of a full meal deal calibration?

Gregg/Michael-I reside in Vancouver Canada. When will either of you be in the area and have you worked on the Pioneer Elite RPTV. (Gregg- Would you consider driving up from Seattle on your upcoming trip?) Please e-mail me on your Canadian standard prices?

Does your calibration include an adjustment of the audio setup?

Thanks .

Marc

My system includes:

Denon 5800

PSB Stratus Goldi, C6i, & Minis

Pioneer DV37

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Elite 710, sure:
Always remove the protective screen unless you have small children. In my home ( I have a 3 and a 5 yr old), I removed the screen and then placed a 2x10 on top of my set. I hung plexar glass from the 2x10 which I leave up when the kids are around. After their bed time I remove it and enjoy :)
With the Elite 720 set I just did on Tuesday, it was quite good out of the box. All focus was good except for the mechanical green, and overscan and geometry was excellent. The set's color tracked very well too, with a difference of about 300 degrees from left - center - right. On some sets Ive seen a difference of a 3000. If I remember right the sets color temp was about 8000 across
Im pretty sure my Seattle Tour is full (with perhaps room for one more). Michael will be in Vancouver several times this year. Not sure of his CDN equivalent pricing. Email [email protected] for info.
I dont think Michael will have time for audio tweeking, but your video will be spectacular. On a side note, I would have been more than happy to do a little audio tweeking. On a recent Tosh set I did, I even fixed the guy's Elite 79 LD player. I love this stuff.
Best of luck!
Gregg

JasonRH

Second Unit
Gregg,

I believe you responded to a private message that I sent but I couldn't access it. It doesn't even record that I sent one to you. Strange.

Is something wrong with that function?

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Jason, change your settings. You dont have enough days of view history selected.

Gregg

Michael_Lam

Auditioning
Dear Gregg Loewen:

What's the chance of getting you out to Vegas? This town absolutely stinks when it comes to finding knowledgeable techs like yourself. I thought I saw somewhere that you'd be on So Cal soon. Is Vegas a possiblity? If not now, the future? When you get a sec, please let me know.

Gregg Loewen

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Hi Michael! The chances of myself or another calibrationist coming to LV would be quite good given two things:

1. a group of people wanting the service (4 person minimum for myself)

2. Sharing of expenses.

Get a group together and Id be there. After LA / Seattle, I will have limited vacation time from my "real" job, so it would have to be over a weekend. IE: fly in on a Friday and out on a Sunday evening or early Monday morning.

Gregg

JerryLA

Stunt Coordinator
Now I'm confused. I've had an Elite 510 since April and have been very pleased with the picture. After reading about ISF calibration in this forum the last year, I've alwyas wondered how much "better" would my picture be with an ISF calibration. I live in a remote area about 4 hours away from the nearest qualified technician so we are talking a major expense. Last week I contacted Listen Up Audio and Video in Denver to inquire about the costs and benefits of such a calibration. The told me the cost would be $275 for the calibration and about 8 hours of travel time at $45 per hour. According to him I probably would see very little difference in what I have now. I know that we all see and hear things differently but I do want the very best picture I can get which I thought I have now. Bottom line is now I'm not sure if it's worth the $600-$700 price tag. Has anyone here had a calibration and thought it was NOT worth the expense?

I also noticed a post here recommending removing the protective screen from Elite models. We have no children but two dogs(pretty well mannered). Is this a good idea?

Thanks

Jerry

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Geez,
Ive checked the up and coming tours, and it seems like ill never get my set calibrated :frowning:
i wonder if there are enough people in and around San Antonio to warrant a tour down here?
Plz, anyone interested?

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
Ack! I missed the Denver trip!

Anyone in the Denver area need this as bad as I do? The local ISF folks that I've talked to have not inspired any confidence in me. I'd be willing to pay what it takes to really get this done right. Anyone else?

Mike Witko

Stunt Coordinator
I would do it. I have a Mitsibishi and that red push is driving me crazy. I am glad to hear that others have had the same problem because I thought I was just seeing things.

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
Ah. Another Longmontian? Can it be so? Forget Denver! Come to the booming metropolis that is Longmont, Colorado! Home of not 1, not 2, but THREE McDonald's!

So... uh.. yeah... ahem... Anyone else for a Denver (area) visit?? JerryLA?

JerryLA

Stunt Coordinator
How bout a Gunnison trip? Excellent snow skiing just 20 minutes away in the winter and some of the best trout fishing to be found in spring and summer. Hows that for tempatation??

Jerry

I received an email from Gregg last night, and it appears that I can get him to come to Connecticut some time in March. (I can't wait!)
Is there anyone else in Connecticut who would like Gregg's service while he is here.
Please let me know.
Scott
[email protected]

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
This sounds all very nice. Try living in the middle of nowhere in Southern Minnesota :) I have the Sony XBR 57" 16:9 RPTV (the exact model isn't something I keep at work :)) And would love to have it calibrated but for the cost and fact that no one is near by to do such a thing.
And I have two questions, if a calibrated set is moved how much of the calibration is lost?
2nd Is it possible to Calibrate a Projector to the same effect as a RPTV?
I ask all this because I plan to buy a house this year and a projector next year.
Brian
Hiding from the big cities in South Central Minnesota

Paul Hives

Auditioning
I was one of the guys in Atlanta when Michel TLV came down with Gregg. This was Gregg's rookie tour and OJT.

I was extremely pleased. By this I mean that calibration is defentily worthwhile.

Gregg learned from Michael. Most people consider Michael one of the best RPTV calibrators in North America.

So if Michael is Obi Wan, then Gregg is Luke Shywalker.

The force is strong with Gregg. Calibrate you must, hmmm.

David Singleton

Stunt Coordinator
I just wanted to echo Ron's comments regarding the benefits of calibrating your RPTV.

On Saturday morning, Chuck Williams (Nashville area tour) arrived at 10 o'clock. About 4.5 hours later, my TV was astonishing. I don't have the report sheets with me at the moment (I'm at work), but some of the readings were at 11,000K while most were in the 8-9,000K range. By the time he was finished all readings but one, or two, were between 64-6600K.

Colors are very natural. The Steelers-Patriots game was like watching from a club suite.

You can't do wrong by having your set calibrated.

David Singleton

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks