What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Wizard Of Oz - Three-Disc Collector's Edition (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

Darrell S.

Stunt Coordinator
I think what it boils down to is that this new transfer is probably more accurate even though visually we may prefer the previous transfer. It will be nice to have this new one to see something new. A month from now we will probably be exclaiming over the new 1933 KING KONG!

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell

It's probably a good thing that MGM didn't have you on hand when preparing the original dye transfer prints in 1939. Having you see the color differences amongst all of those original prints wouldn't have been pretty...

:)

DJ

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Really? ;) (sorry about the misunderstanding)

The reason I am willing to accept that this is indeed the most accurate "look" of the film is that dye transfer prints were used to confirm the color, and dye transfers do not fade, correct? This has been used in many of the best film restorations to confirm correct intended color and I accept them so.....

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Hey Kevin,

sorry about the "folks like you" remark which did sound a bit cheeky (though not intended as such).

Yes...your remarks above reflect the philosphy of what makes a "good DVD representation"...at lest in my humble opinion...

:D

DeeF

Screenwriter

The blouse is actually pink, not yellow. They show it (the actual costume) in the documentary on the new disk.

DeeF

Screenwriter
I've always heard it was pink. In the screenshots posted by Herb, if you know it's pink, you can see it (the pink).

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Yellow.Pink!No Yellow!No Pink!!

You guys sound like the fairies arguing over what color to make Princess Aurora's dress in Sleeping Beauty for her 16th birthday...

Ok, I'm officially a Disney animation geek for even having that come to mind!

;)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
DVDBeaver says that the cropping may be due to digital restoration. RAH, by looking at the screenshots on that website, would you say that Oz was cropped within reason?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Having seen the final release discs, I can tell you that cropping is fine.

Original dye transfer prints were created in five stages. Yellow, cyan and magenta dyes imbibed to the blank, followed by black and white frames lines to mask the image, and the black and white soundtrack.

What I'm seeing is exposure of the unmasked image on the left side. The new release is proper. Masking frames on these films were quite heavy. Possibly we can post an actual frame as an illustration.

RAH

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
As well as I know this film, I "don't know from"
calibrated and pixels, etc.
I do know that people see color differently.
Put any 3 friends of mine in front of a monitor
and we will see three different shades of yellow brick.
"It's pale....it's warm....it's rich".
My mother could never tell if anything was
in stereo or not,
and I have a good friend who can't see "3D" in
films.

We all "see" a little differently.

I'm with the poster who said, pick your preference
from the past releases and don't sell your old versions.
I don't know which one is the most true,
I never will, and I don't care so much.

It seems like this set is presented with care, and with respect for the collector's/buffs...which
is more rare as the dvd format grows older.
So, i'm happy.

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
Having had a look at the new transfer, I think the colors look right to me -- similar to what I remember them being like the last time I saw a print in a theatre.

Of course, I may be wrong. (I'll add here that I'm sometimes less than impressed with WB's transfers, and some of their transfers of Technicolor movies -- like "The Barkleys Of Broadway" -- are downright substandard. So I'm not just automatically okay with anything WB does.)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
May I presume that the first 2 discs in this edition are the same as the discs in the 2-disc edition? Anybody see the 2-disc edition yet? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks