What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The New World (1 Viewer)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
b]

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I really enjoyed this film and was glad to be able to see it on the big screen. I will need to revisit The Thin Red Line as it didn't strike me as much as this film did.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
TTRL didn't strike me the same either, but I've improved as a movie viewer :)

Already ordered this and the Munich two-discer from Amazon. Thanks for the review, Matt.

FWIW, I consider this the best film I've seen since 2001 (the year, not the film). Easily.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
A great film by a great director.

It's good to see the transfer does justice to the cinematography. I would love to see this on HD-DVD (as well as the other Malick films).

john a hunter

Screenwriter
According to the American Cinematograher, who should know, it was NOT filmed in 65mm save for one sequence. The usual excuse was given-too expensive!

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Impressed that they were able to fit all this on one disc without issues.

Will keep my eyes open for a used copy.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
'm watching with the tosh hd dvd player.
this looks beautiful upconverted.
there were some iffy moments near the beginning concerning EE especially
around the edges of the mast and sails of the ships as they arrive to shore.

as the movie goes i didnt notice the EE as much.

the sound is great.
there is tons of sound effects from all around, birds, wind, rain, water.

i watched with the sound off for a few mnutes and i didnt feel as if i was losing anything as far as storytelling was concerned.

I love this movie, it's nearly hypnotic.

best i've seen in years.

Steve Kuester

Second Unit
Thanks for the review. I'm VERY excited to pick this up.

I'll also hop on the bandwagon to say this is the best film I've experienced in a long, long time.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, do I smell double dip? I was hoping to buy this sight-unseen, but after reading this, I will probably hold out for the inevitable Extended Edition DVD that will come out in 3-6 months. And if I'm wrong and one doesn't come out, this one will be $15 or less by then ;)

Jack _Webster

Stunt Coordinator
If there is a double dip, it's unlikely to contain the 150 minute cut, as that largely consisted mostly of extended nature shots (and perhaps a minute of extra dialogue in one or two spots). The studio didn't tell Malick to shorten it, he just refined the edit of the film he wanted to deliver to cinemas.

What we should look out for is a substantially reworked extended cut which will run at about 3 hours (producer Sarah Green said Malick was already working on it during the film's release). This should include, I suppose, expansions on material briefly covered in the film (like dialogue scenes in place of voice-over narration). Q'Orianka Kilcher said, in a Comingsoon.net interview, that there were many more dialogue scenes which are supposed to be in a dvd release.

I've always maintained that no matter how much I may prefer an extended/director's cut, I always like to own the film that I originally fell in love with (which is why, despite my love of the SW prequels and approval of the SEs, I'll still be buying the Unaltered Trilogy Set this September). Therefore, this is certainly a must-have.

Plus, low dvd sales would encourage New Line to back out of releasing the bigger edition - and, well, that simply will not do.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well whether it's a 150 minute cut or the 3 hour cut you're alluding to, I can wait.

I agree completely. Of course, in my first post I said this would be a sight-unseen buy (blind buy) so I've never seen any cut of this film to fall in love with. As such, I can wait for either the 150/180 minute cut, or for this one to be in the $10 bin and I can't pass it up any longer.

Tim RP

Stunt Coordinator
The chances of an extended cut appearing seem to be at a stalemate at the moment. Sarah Green did indeed state that New Line had greenlit the release of a longer cut on dvd for autumn but as of last week New Line had "no plans" to release an extended edition. The New Line response comes from a poster on imdb who contacted the studio.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Ive been jonesing really bad to see this again. So glad that street date is correct. Hollywood bitchslap had it for May 30 release.

Loved this movie!

Jack _Webster

Stunt Coordinator

Quite frankly that sounds like something the studio would say just so that their first release sells good. It's Terrence Malick film - not exactly a household name. Not everyone's going to rush out and buy it.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I'm gladly buying this, and I would more than gladly shell out for a longer cut. But I really think this cut works, so give it a rental, Carlo. You might be waiting forever otherwise.

Paul Case

Supporting Actor
One of my favorite films of all time. Along with the Star Wars OOT and the extended Kingdom of Heaven, this is the release I am most anticipating this year.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Am I remembering correctly that they had to go back and re-shoot the sex scene(s) because Kilcher was underage when they were originally filmed? :eek:

(Never mind -- Colin Farrell just told me "oh yeah, baby!!!")

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks