What's new

HTF REVIEW: Once Upon a Time in the West (Very Highly Recommended!) (1 Viewer)

BruceKimmel

Stunt Coordinator
Ed, the Italian DVD IS different. If that's what you're talking about then I wish you'd been clearer. I was speaking specifically about the Paramount region one and two transfer, NOT about the Italian DVD, which is not the Paramount transfer and, in fact, which is a longer cut of the film.

JohnRice - I have been asked by Mr. Epstein to bite my tongue when you insist on posting after me in whatever thread you can. I shall continue to do so because, well, never mind. If you'd like to take this private, boy am I happy to oblige.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
This is such a great DVD, and not just because of the transfer. It's the little touches, like the fading to black of the menus when you play a special feature from disc 2, the easter egg of the "new" trailer. Best $14 I ever spent.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Oh yeah, I want to thank whoever posted about the hidden trailer. It is seriously fun. The original is actually kind of funny. The difference in them is startling.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Well, I can't actually see EE in my sig, but I certainly know that it is there when I view it on my 123" screen!
Neither can I, yours was the nearest sig pic. Thought it might lighten the room up. Rob, 123"! talk about screen size envy. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts once you view OUATITW.

WillardK

Second Unit
I've read through most of this thread and haven't seen it mentioned, but forgive me if it has: The plot synopsis on the back of the dvd case contains a major spoiler that should be avoided if possible by those new to the film. It's a revelation that is clearly meant to be kept under wraps until the end of the story, essentially the "Rosebud" that provides motivation for the main character.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Willard, you're absolutely right. While it doesn't give away the entire secret, it gives away half of it.

This is an absurd trend that is getting more common. Look at the discussion on the season 2 release of Alias.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
huh, didn't notice that (I generally don't read the back covers) but that is pretty lame. Kinda like the Planet of the Apes (Heston) DVD cover that Fox put out...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Not to mention that it gives away who plays Frank and what he's like. The way the film is made you are clearly not supposed to know that. Not as big a spoiler, but still.......

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Quite right, John. It's a wonderful "reveal" shot that Leone uses when you only see the back of the gunmen and then the camera swings around to show you the face of Frank...

Luckily the people I've shown this to don't generally get a hold of the box, so it's all good.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Rob, 123"! talk about screen size envy. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts once you view OUATITW.
I have it on order from DeepDiscountDVD. I will definitely post my thoughts after viewing it.

Zen, since you are in Long Beach, if you ever get out towards Riverside, let me know...you can see the screen for yourself.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
i just watched OUATITW for the first time and loved it. loved the pacing and how it took its time while still being so riveting.

are there any Pet Shop Boys fans out there? the theme reminds me of "it couldn't happen here" (or at least the first few bars of the theme remind me of the chorus). i know that PSB are fans of Morricone.

Matt Rexer

Stunt Coordinator
Like number of people here, I bought the disc motivated in particular by this thread. I'm ashamed to say that I'd never heard of the movie, though I love the Eastwood-Leone films.

Awesome movie. Truly excellent. And the price for this 2-disc set is unbelievably low. I feel guilty... almost (considering Paramount's usual overcharging habit).

Though I have to admit I did not listen to the 5.1 soundtrack. It just didn't seem right. Gimme the original...

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
I just watched it again last night- great movie! All the dialogue that seemed to just blur for me in the first viewing made much more sense this time around.

Only one thing I kind of wondered when I first watched and still doesn't make sense- I think this is a pretty minor 'spoiler':

Why does Harmonica rip off some of Jill's clothing in that one scene? I don't understand what purpose that serves.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Quite right, John. It's a wonderful "reveal" shot that Leone uses when you only see the back of the gunmen and then the camera swings around to show you the face of Frank...
I think it only works back when the film was released. Most people growing up knew Henry Fonda as the "nice" guy a la The Grapes of Wrath. So it was probably a big surprise to see he's playing somebody as bastardly as Frank. Well that, and 30+ years isn't going to hide secrets.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Just watched the 1938 Robin Hood DVD and you guys are probably wondering what on Earth this has to do with this thread.

Another classic that has been wonderfully restored, fantastic supplements and a great movie with vibrant colors.
You would have thought it was made today.

So I say that both movies are dvd of the year !!!!!!!

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks