What's new

HTF REVIEW: Once Upon a Time in the West (Very Highly Recommended!) (1 Viewer)

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I think it only works back when the film was released. Most people growing up knew Henry Fonda as the "nice" guy a la The Grapes of Wrath. So it was probably a big surprise to see he's playing somebody as bastardly as Frank. Well that, and 30+ years isn't going to hide secrets.
Did it even work back then? Who went to see this movie but was unaware of the role Fonda played in it? Even the trailer spoiled it. I would think that there would be some people who, upon learning about it, would want to see this movie just to see Fonda in that role.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I just got this DVD on a blind buy this week, which I've almost never done before with any movie, and man, what a home run! And for well under $20, unbelievable. I have one observation and a couple of queries related to the movie, which may have been covered up-thread, but I didn't feel like reading through the whole thing:

Although the people on the commentary track list many of the references to earlier westerns, nobody mentions what seemed like a fairly obvious one to me: why is the villain called Frank? Probably because of the villain in High Noon: Frank Miller.

Question 1: Isn't there a mistake in the chapter stop titles? The scene where this happens:

Morton dies, as he crawls to the running water, and the soundtrack switches to the ocean sounds heard earlier as he stared at the picture of the ocean in the train.

is called "Morton Hears The Atlantic." But surely this should be "Morton Hears The Pacific," since that's the end-goal of the whole railroad!

Question 2: In the scene where Jill is alone at the McBain house at night, she hears the harmonica coming from outside. She goes to the window with a shotgun, opens it, and says "Who's there?" while the harmonica keeps playing. Then the playing stops, and we see a match being lit outside. Jill fires the gun, the match drops, and we hear the harmonica again as the camera cuts back to her. Then there's a cut to the next morning. My question is, what was up with that whole bit? Is Leone just messing with audience expectations, getting us to start thinking that Harmonica is gunning for Jill? What was he doing out there anyway? There's certainly a lot that goes unexplained in the plot, and the movie rocks no matter how confusing it is, but I'm just wondering what the deal is with that scene.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
1) Probably just a case of the person naming the titles not really knowing that theme in the film. At least, that's my gut feeling.

2) Personally, I don't know that there is an answer. I like to think of it as just one of those weird little things film makers put in to make things interesting. Kind of goes along with the scene of Harmonica tearing the bodice and sleeves off Jill's dress, though that one has a more clear intention.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
:emoji_thumbsup: :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: Just received this movie on Christmas Eve from DDD - was on backorder from their recent sale. As with many other posters, I had never seen this movie. I have been totally knocked on my backside, what an amazing looking film. There are not enough words to adequately express my appreciation for this masterpiece. As a blind buy, I feel like I won the lottery. Great movie, wonderful music and possibly the greatest western I have ever seen. I want to thank you guys for providing the review which first caught my eye. The Home Theater Forum is the best resource for all things dvd on the web. I would never have seen this if it weren't for this little gathering place.:D

Thanks

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I'm still waiting for my copy from DDD, but I am a little disappointed in Widescreen Reviews review of this DVD. They only gave it a 3/5 rating and said in part:

There is some smearing or loss of finer details that suggest an overuse of digital video noise reduction. There is also some minor pixel breakup. Edge enhancement is unacceptable, with annoying white halos separating objects from their backgrounds. However, the picture can look very good at times, and it is likely that this is the best the movie has ever looked.
I can't wait to give this a look for myself.

John_F

Stunt Coordinator
I watched the movie last night. While I enjoyed the movie, I have to say I saw something (haloing/EE) throughout the movie. I normaly don't focus on EE, but in this case, I found I couldn't stop seeing it, and it was readily apparent.

While I could see how people could say that this is the best movie released on DVD for the year, I cannot see (in my opinion) how they can say it is the best DVD release of the year, due to the haloing/EE.

Thanks,
John Flegert

Kristoffer

Second Unit
It's the little touches, like the fading to black of the menus when you play a special feature from disc 2, the easter egg of the "new" trailer
Where is this?
Also has anyone else noticed a little hiss in the sound in some scenes? I noticed this, otherwise a great dvd of a fantastic movie!

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Okay, I have been on the edge about the blind purchase of this film and I know I am sold now. I am going to pick this up today! I am ashamed to call myself a cinema buff and yet have never seen nor even heard of this movie before this new dvd release. I have never really been a huge western fan but with the recent spectacular movie Open Range, it has really sparked my interest to see some great westerns.

Ryan_TD

Stunt Coordinator
After seeing OUATITW, you might forget you ever saw Open Range.

Very dissapointing IMHO. Robert Duvall couldn't even save it.....The end is cool but it's a case of "Too little, too late"

OUATITW is the greatest western ever made.

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
I just had to bring this back! I saw this at Best Buy today for $9.99 (and it wasn't even advertised at that price) and couldn't resist. I'd meant to buy it last year upon its release, but priorities got a little shuffled ...

Have to say that this is one of the very best westerns that I've ever seen. If you've put it off, now is the time to get this!! :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: /:star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
I watched the film again - the quality of the picture still leaves me breathless. God I love this film :emoji_thumbsup:

Thank you, Paramount :)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Well I finally got around to watching this and was shocked that I didn't enjoy it as much as I had hoped.

A bit dissapointing, given that The Good the Bad the Ugly is my favorite western, one I fell in love with immediately.

That said, this movie is clearly more layered than GBU, the theme of the death of the Old West being most prominent. I guess I was expecting a more narrative work.

--
H

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I has a wonderful narrative. It's just a bit unconventional. By my experience, it never works to watch a movie after seeing people rave about it. It is always a disappointment, but after some time and another viewing or two, that often changes.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Well I finally got around to watching this and was shocked that I didn't enjoy it as much as I had hoped.
I'm surprised you didn't enjoy it as much as you hoped too! This film has made its way into my top 5 or 6 favorite movies of all time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks