What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World" (Highly Recommended!) (1 Viewer)

BillGo

Stunt Coordinator
If you a have a knife with a thin, sharp blade, you can try slipping it between the cardboard and the security device and pry it loose. There is a thin metal strip under the plastic, which may separate from the plastic so you have to get behind it to get the entire thing off.

There's a good chance that you'll damage the cardboard, so it's probably best to just leave it alone.

Darren Haycock

Second Unit

Not all copies are like that, either that, or mine's an exception. The plastic is totally clear, none of those blasted security stickers attached. There was a blank piece of paper inside with the booklet and map that had a really flat security tag attached to it. Guess I lucked out...

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

not that care about those things because the only time i see it is the 3 secionds i have it open to get the dvd out.
but mine came with a little slip of paper with a circuit city type device on it.

WilliamG

Supporting Actor

Yeah, that's probably what I'll do. Master and Commander isn't the only DVD that I've had with the device showing through behind the plastic, so I'll just learn to chill about the minor things in life!

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
This definitely is one of the best DVDs in my collection. My only complaint is the packaging (2-disc version). The paper materials slide around too much and make it difficult to close. Digipaks/carboard cases are becoming very annoying lately and I wish studios would stick with the larger keepcases for the multi-disc sets, especially for this price.

Paul Mazz

Grip
Just got the Collector's Edition in the mail today. I haven't had the chance to watch the movie through yet, but initial impressions are that it looks and sounds great

I had one very odd glitch on the second disk though. My Toshiba SD5700 freezes, and the tv screen turns green when trying to access the Sound Design featurette. I've never had my player lock up so completely before. This featurette appears to play fine on two other dvd players. Anyone have any similar problems. I am assuming that this is one of those inexplicable problems (to me anyway) caused by a combination of particular softwear and hardware, and I am not inclined to think that exchanging this disk will work any better on this player. Any thoughts?

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
Phil: I'm a little late, but I saw discussion of Crowe playing violin. Having seen the '100 Days' doc (and being extremely unmusical) I assumed he was doing it well. But if the performance struck you as off--and took you out of the film for a moment--that's a valid very complaint, too.
Hey, hey, we're the monkeys...

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
This is a grand film and DVD set. I could easily have watched another hour of it. For such a grand epic, at just a bit over 2 hours (minus credits) it seemed not all it could have been.

I would hope this perhaps becomes a cult classic film, as
I have great respect for Peter Weir.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Mark,

The problem is, or was, that watching it in the theater was mighty uncomfortable during the center stretch of the film. To put it nicely, it really seems to drag in an uncomfortable seat with a crane'd neck. Sitting in my chair at home (admittedly knowing what's coming next) I had no problem watching the movie, coupled with an INCREDIBLE audio mix, this movie moved up several steps on my respect-o-meter. And the 100 days documentary, that was incredible. After watching it, I realized how everything WORKED in the film, that nothing stood out as incorrect or forced, and now I understand why. A lot of love was put into this movie, and it shows on screen.

Nick Senger

Stunt Coordinator
David Prior, I hereby nominate you for the (so far non-existent) DVD producer hall of fame! The quality of the extras on this set is amazing--two touches I especially love are the titles of the different features and the animated menus. Other high points for me:

watching Peter Weir explain the process of adapting the novels, while surrounded by period weapons and artifacts;

learning about the special effects in such a way that my enjoyment of the movie is not ruined by knowing too much;

listening to intelligent, insightful and interesting comments by Peter Weir in the 100 Days documentary.

The production level on these extras is truly the highest quality I have ever seen (for which I feel extremely fortunate, since this has been one of my most highly anticipated dvds ever). Thank you and your team for such great work.

Now would somebody please get busy and make a quality Don Quixote movie so that David Prior can produce the dvd?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
David Prior gets big Big BIG props for putting CHAPTER STOPS in the extra features!!! (See my complaint about FOX in the Studio Feedback section.)

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
David Boulet wrote:

Uh David. It's the 27th & the DVD has been out a week. Just thought you'd like to know. ;)

Joe

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Craig, I never read the books, but perceived this as central to the story. I want a sequel because I want to see more of them. For me, the movie was succesful.

--
H

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"The quality of the extras on this set is amazing..."

Go on and rub it in. Bought this on vacation in Orlando at a Blockbuster (shudder) in a hurry. Blockbuster - Deltona, FL is not carrying the two-disc version, just the single disc. I didn't know they were releasing this title in a single disc version, so now I own the single-disc version, which has no bonus features other than some trailers for other movies. Paid $21.99 before tax. Looks like I get to buy it all over again. Yay!

:frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks