What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World" (Highly Recommended!) (1 Viewer)

PaulEB

Stunt Coordinator
WOW! Great review Adam, can't wait to get this. I was trying to decide if I should get the 2-disc collector's edition, now there is no doubt I will!

Ryan_TD

Stunt Coordinator
Unfortunately, there will be two versions - a single disc & a double disc....which means on street date all the major sales will be for the single disc version only:frowning:
my guess is the single disc version will be like $15.99-$17.99 and the 2 disc set will be $26.99-$29.99:angry:

Excellent movie though:emoji_thumbsup:

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
This only reassures I will pick it up.

When the disc's producer says it is a kick ass DTS track, I will take his word on it.

Any shots of the packaging Adam?

Edward Brand

Agent
Nice to hear the dvd has such good picture and sound. I can only imagine what the D-Theater version is going to look and sound like with its 1080i picture and 1.5 Mbps DTS track. Cant wait. --Edward

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit

Actually the disk I got is the super secret versions that I have to send back in 5 days. Mine came with the packaging of the Single disk release, and the Disk 2 is just plain jane with the plain words: Master and Commander Disk 2 in black. Sorta like how my X-Men 2 disks were.

I did not get final packaging sent to me. :frowning: Plus I now have to drop it in the mail and send it back.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
I loved this movie and saw it twice in the theater. Am picking up the two disk set for sure!

:star: :star: :star: :star:

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Sounds very good. I may have to make this rather expensive blind buy.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
Can't wait for this one. I read my first O'Brian book, the horribly titled "Nutmeg of Consolation", while on a Med Cruise on board USS PONCE which I found in the ship's library.

Guess I may have to retire my copy of "Gettysburg" if I want to use cannon fire for a speaker demo.:D

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
What about those red dots (whatever that copy protection is called) that people complained about in the theater (seeing them in the ocean)? I hope that didn't transfer to the DVD!

david*mt

Second Unit
Adam, are the DD and DTS tracks flagged with EX and ES encoding? I hate having to switch the EX and ES on manually.

GarySchrock

Second Unit

I'd really hope those aren't there. They're not supposed to be on dvd's. And I for one will be royally pissed if they show up, because it destroyed the presentation of the movie in the theater. All those wonderful storm scenes just lose a lot of their magic if you're watching dots pop up all the time.

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
I did not notice any of the red dots, so that shouldn't be an issue.

And unfortunately it is not DTS-ES. I used mine manually. :)

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
The CAP codes (red dots) are for theatres only.

Solid review, Adam. I'm glad the presenation is A+, this was in my Top 5 films of last year and I can't wait to experience it again.

Greg S

Supporting Actor
Excellent Review!

I was gonna get this on release day anyway but now its 100% confirmed!

Thanks

Greg

Todd Schnell

Second Unit
Wow! This looks impressive! I never got around to seeing this in the theater, but will definitely pick up the DVD.
Nice review. Thanks!

Todd

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
This sucks, 6 weeks + before street date. After reading your review Adam I just dying to see this. I passed in the theater (as I usually do) so this will make for one awesome blind buy.

Very happy to hear FOX did a first rate job with the 2-disk set.

Peace Out~:D

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Adam,

I think you made a mistake on the release date. You list it as coming May 20th, when it is actually April 20th.

Anyway, will be picking this up on release date. Thanks for a great review.

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks