What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World" (Highly Recommended!) (1 Viewer)

Trace Ahlers

Stunt Coordinator
My Pioneer VSX-D812 went into DTS ES Matrix. No problem.
I agree with Sean, ...amazing use of sound. To have the above deck noise sound as if it was actually coming from my ceiling was just incredible. The best use of DTS I've ever heard.
Trace

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Is the DTS bit-rate on the single disc version the same as the DTS bit-rate on the CE version? Just curious as I'm not a huge fan of extras (just don't get around to 'em) and would love NOT to spend $30 on a DVD!

BillGo

Stunt Coordinator
I purchased the 2-disc version of Master and Commander and liked the movie. However, I LOVED the sound quality and HATED the packaging. When asked at my local supermarket whether I want paper or plastic, I always say paper but when it comes to DVD packaging, give me plastic every time. So I combined the front cover of the Digipack and the glued on paper on the back, scanned them into my computer, and printed out an insert for a double Amaray case.

Generally, I'm not too interested in the extras but this one's were so hyped, that I thought I'd give it a go. I watched most of the extras and they did provide a lot of inslight into the making of the film. Peter Weir's dedication to the project was obvious, but the most interesting parts for me were the CGI effects and sound design.

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
Yes. The single disc and CE version are identical, both have a 448 kbps DD track and 768 kbps DTS track. The CE just has an extra disc full of special features, which to me is useless because I couldn't care less for special features.

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
BillGo:
I'm not a fan of flimsy paper packaging, but I did like this CE box, what with the 'linen' embossing and all. But did the quality of the packaging (including the map and nice-looking but slightly fluffy booklet) add another few bucks to the price of this not-too-cheap box? Probably.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I watched this last night and it's now my new reference as far as audio--incredibly involving mix and during the cannonfire I didn't know if the ship was splintering or my house was!!

After watching it I was reminded of the scene in Jaws where Roy Schieder says "we're gonna need a bigger boat"--I can imagine a lot of people seeing this and saying "we're gonna need a bigger subwoofer".

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
My only major complaint about the packaging of the two-disc is that the map and booklet always fall out when opening the fold out to get to the discs. I also wish that it was a bit sturdier, like the LOTR sets are. This isn't much to ask considering the $30 street price.

Other than that, the supplements I have gotten to look at (Camera Angles and Sound Design) are well done, and I can't wait to get the time to view "The Hundred Days" documentary.

I still think it was a bit pricey when comparing other comperably priced 'premium' sets and their features, such as LOTR:EE and Black Hawk Down: Deluxe Edition. I'm still glad I took the plunge on it though.

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
I hope this sells well. Aren't the companies (Fox, Miramax, Universal) thinking of making another one if this does well on DVD?

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Definitely an easy pic for an audio demo... This movie had me worried that my rears were gonna fall off the walls! I DID get up and check my hangers just to make sure they weren't loosening any....

Personally, I liked the movie "getting on with it" presentation and not wasting any time on character development......but it was the audio that mesmerized me.... My SVS shook my house, the neighbors house and the street sign at the corner..... I actually turned my shakers off cause I was worried about my couch!

Great audio demo material !!!!

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member

I haven't heard of that but it would be great news if true. I fully expect this one to finally find its audience on DVD, I saw it once in the theatre and was blown away (no pun intended). Watched it again on DVD and it holds up just as well.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Allow me to also praise the audio on this disc. I've only listened to the DD5.1 track (my receiver isn't DTS capable) and it's absolutely fantastic in every respect.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I only hope the price point ($39.99) for the two-disc edition isn't the beginning of a new trend. Most other 2-disc editions, which have one or more docs plus usually a commentary (which this doesn't have) go for ten bucks less. Hell, the 4-disc LOTR extended sets have the same retail! Yes, compared to what I'd have paid for an equivilent laser disc seven years ago, the $30.00 I bought this for is a great value, but things have changed.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
$39.95 is list price for the 2 disc edition. It's $26.95 at DVD Empire, I paid $29.95 at local BB out of impatience.

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
Well, I for one would love another film. Having not read the books, I'm not sure what a good sequel would be. But hopefully the various DVDs are selling well, and heck, the recreated ships are already built, Russell Crowe learned to play violin (and Paul Bettany learned to fake 'cello), so half the groundwork has been laid!

Phil Carter

Second Unit
Real Name
Phil
If Crowe learned to play violin, then I'm a monkey. I have only a passing familiarity with the instrument and it still made me twitch how obviously faked the violin and cello parts were. The fretboard hands didn't move in the right rhythm, there was no vibrato visible on vibrato notes, the bows weren't actually moving with the music....ugh. My girlfriend agreed with me.

I do wish that filmmakers, when they show music being played on screen, would use stunt doubles who can actually play (show them from the back), or cut to closeups of the face of the actor as he "plays", so you can't tell he doesn't know what he's doing), or cut to closeups of the double's hands on the instrument. I love good music and I hate seeing it mutilated like that.

Wonderful film anyway, though. I have to second (third? eighteenth?) the remarks about the sound design. Absolutely outstanding.

cheers,
Phil

David Prior

Insider

Hate to be the one to break it to you Phil, but I hope you like bananas.

Russell Crowe did indeed learn to play the violin. He won't be playing the Syndey Opera House anytime soon, and the violin performances in the film were played by Richard Tognetti, but by all accounts (including Tognetti's) Crowe learned a hell of a lot more than anyone thought possible and enough to copy the performance to everyone's satisfaction. Hopefully if you watch the doc on the DVD, your appreciation for the amount of hard work he put in will increase.

Cheers,

David Prior

Phil Carter

Second Unit
Real Name
Phil
*EEEK EEE EEEK EEEK!* :)

Shows what happens when one makes a comment like that without watching the documentaries (yet). Okay, I was wrong about him not having learned to play it....but I still think the takes shown in the film look absolutely horrendous. :)

His acting performance was top-notch, and that's the important thing, anyway.

cheers,
Phil

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
I have a minor complaint with the packaging. That blasted 'security sticker' that's rectangular and black or dark brown is located just behind the plastic inside the case. Does anyone know how to get it out without damaging the packaging, or do you just put up with it being rather unsightly and go on?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks