What's new

HTF REVIEW: Futurama - Volume 4 (1 Viewer)

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
One of my favorite S4 commentary moments comes from the sequel to the brain story, when Maurice LaMarche (who voiced the giant brain) was asked to do the brain voice, and he slipped into the wrong one, and said "Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?" :D

I still can't get his Orson Welles out of may head from Ed Wood (he overdubbed for Vincent D'Onofrio), it sounded like Brain, too!

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
If they ever do Pinky & The Brain Season sets, they need to get Maurice LaMarche and Rob Paulsen together for a couple of commentaries together.

Paul

chrisMCG

Agent
Aww... it is very sad to see Futurama done and finished with. Let's hope Groening and Co. start focusing on getting The Simpsons out on DVD now.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Just finished the third disc....

Good god "Where no fan has gone before" just completely puts me in tears from laughing so hard. Even more reason to love Fry:

Koenig: When we woke up, we had these bodies.
Fry: Say it in Russian!
Koenig: (sigh) Ven ve voke up ve had zese wodies.
Fry: Eeee! Now say "nuclear wessels"!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

He also did the voice a few times for the Critic and was very funny, he even did it in some Critic commentaries, and also I agree he should do commentaries if Pinky and the Brain ever hits DVD.

"Rosebud, yes, rosebud frozen pees. Full of country goodness, and green peeness. No wait, that's terrible, I quit. Just a handful for the road..mmmm, mmmm, oh yeah. Oh what luck, there's a french fry stuck in my bierd."

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Just watched "Where No Fan..." An incredible episode and I really enjoyed the commentary. I was surprised that they didn't mention that they decided to put McCoy's likeness in there as well, even though DeForesr Kelley had passed away. Seemed odd seeing a mute Bones, but I'm glad he was there.

I really miss this show! FOX can bite my... Oh, you know the rest.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Jay, when I click on the link, it just goes to "http://". (I can just copy and paste the text from your post, though.)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I'll chime in on Michael's side: a couple of great episodes every season doesn't make a great series. It is better than most animated series though, but not in the arena of eternal greatness IMO. And I think having a FAN review something is not necessarily beneficial for everyone: we already know what a FAN is going to say, by definition of the term fan...so IMO save fan reviews for the fan sites, I want more objectivity.

A Best of Futurama set would probably be a must-own, but these sets (except Season 1) are expensive enough that I think it's improper to make those who are unfamiliar with it think it's something really special to blind buy.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Craig as it comes to objectivity, in fact sometimes I like to hear the perspective of someone that has never seen the show.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
"Jurassic Bark", after airing, evoked the largest response ever to a single episode at the Got Futurama fan page. A few hundred reviews poured in, the sound majority of which were positive. My mind was certainly blown. One of the standout episodes of this set.

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Funny, because I kinda feel like the emotion from Jurassic Bark felt a bit forced. It definitely has to do with the 22 minute time limit, and I was a bit sad at the end, but I think it could have been done a bit better with a longer shot of the dog at the end, with the music fading away. The quick, jarring cut to the credits kinda ruined it for me.

I'm probably in the minority, though. The Sting & Leela's Homeworld got my emotions worked up a bit more than Jurassic Bark...weird, eh?

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
"Jurassic Bark" is good, but the one that gets me is "Time Keeps On Slippin'" (on Vol. 3), the one with the Harlem Globetrotters. It's a hilarious episode, but the ending is funny and sad at the same time.

FRY: I moved the stars themselves to show Leela how much I love her.

LEELA: Detonation in 3...2...1...

FRY: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DOOMSDAY DEVICE: Boom.

Then the episode ends with Bender quietly whistling "Sweet Georgia Brown."

I dunno, for some reason, I just really like that. It was just one of those unexpected moments that worked.

Richard Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator
Well I just purchased the 4th Season to complete my collection;) :frowning: . I find it hilarious at times but to be fair, a lot of the humor's effectiveness comes from familiarity with the late 60's, early 70's (Nixon, et al). Someone born later may miss a few of the throwaway lines. I am glad to have all the episodes but it's sad there will be no more...

Reggie K.

Agent
New Easter Egg:

(Sorry if this has been found already)

There is a hidden commentary for "Jurassic Bark". Use the Audio button on your remote to access it

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
The writer's commentary on "Jurassic Park" isn't hidden at all, it's accessable from the audio selection menu, just like the animator's commentary on "Roswell That Ends Well" in Volume 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks