What's new

HTF Fantasy Baseball League (1 Viewer)

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
John, is this head-to-head or cumulative stats (like last year)? I prefer head-to-head (weekly games) simply because you feel like you have something to play for more often. Plus, you don't have to screw around with caps for numbers of games and such.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Mark...head to head usually keeps more people interested for a longer period of time.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
I'll admit, I had to look up each way of scoring. :D

For those of you who are clueless like I was, here's a description on their scoring systems:

Head-to-Head Scoring
Rotisserie Scoring
Point Scoring

Last year's league was rotisserie and I agree that there was a bit of a problem with it. What do you guys think about the fantasy point-scoring? It reminds me of the Sporting News scoring system somewhat - something I had fun with the past few years.

We're up to 10 players - 6 more slots to go. ;)

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
I to prefer head to head over points. I've been in way to many leagues where a person gets buried in last place or close to it and doesn't participate anymore.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
To address the point of the scoring issue, wouldn't that (not participating after getting behind) be the same in a head-to-head league? If you're too far behind, you're too far behind. It doesn't matter how the scoring is done. With the head-to-head, you can fall behind quickly as well, right?

As far as the prize issue, that's fine if some of you guys want to do that but let me make it clear that it isn't mandatory for participation in this league. So anyone else sitting out there considering the league, you're good to go on that point.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
With the head-to-head, you can fall behind quickly as well, right?
Not exactly. In the standings you can fall behind quickly, but this can be easily remedied in a head to head league. Say you are dominant in pitching and have 4 great starters. You can trade one or two great starters for some offensive help and a decent starter or two in return. Now you are competitive in all 10 categories and can start taking some weeks from opponents. In pure rotisserie form, if you get behind in a category, even a good trade may not allow you to catch up in that category, because cumulative stats accrue quickly. In head to head, it's week to week baby and you can move up the standings at a quicker pace.

Also, head to head has a playoff at the end of the season which keeps more teams involved. Pure Rotisserie has one winner and one winner only. If you are in 4th with two weeks to go, you are effectively out of it. If you are in 4th in a head to head league with two weeks to play, you are in the playoffs and have a shot at the title.

Trust me, I've played both ways and it's MUCH more enjoyable in a head to head format.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
oh so EVAN was the Cunning Linguists last year. Christ, I never knew half those team owners in the league we had. You sure kicked MY pants last year buddy!

I would also want to go head to head. so much more fun than roto

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Also, head to head has a playoff at the end of the season which keeps more teams involved. Pure Rotisserie has one winner and one winner only. If you are in 4th with two weeks to go, you are effectively out of it. If you are in 4th in a head to head league with two weeks to play, you are in the playoffs and have a shot at the title.
Very true Evan. I'm in 2 Yahoo Hockey leagues 1 points & the other Head to head. In the points one I'm dead. 9th place about 40 points behind. In the head to head league I just went from 7th to 4th in 1 week. And with a good week this week could make the playoffs.

Joe

Chris Rosene

Second Unit
Bad news for you guys. Danny Sheridan just released his latest odds and I'm a 2 to 1 favorite to win it all!!
I'm really looking forward to the Sewerrats vs the Raging Rodents matchup.

4 slots open.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Hey, I'm all for trying to keep everyone involved throughout the season. That's usually the #1 problem I have with these fantasy leagues.

Anyhow, I've changed it to head-to-head; never been in a league that used that type of scoring. Last year's was rotisserie and it left a lot to be desired. I think it'd be better if it were a 6-8 team league.

I believe there's only 3 slots left.

Yahoo! League, League# 33605, password "oar". ;)

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
OK, I'm in (Hit 'n Run). I just couldn't resist a H2H league. I moved my schedule around so that I'll be home in time for the draft. One spot left!

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Yup. It's this Sunday - hope to see everyone there.

I started another league, a point-based league. I've been wanting to try this system out in a Yahoo League for awhile now. Here's the info:

League #: 124748
Password: password

I think the draft time is a few weeks from now, closer to opening day. There's only 12 slots but I might open a few more if there's enough interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks