What's new

HTF Fantasy Baseball League (1 Viewer)

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
I'm considering starting up a Yahoo Fantasy Baseball league this year..just wondering if those who were in it last year were still interested. I can't reall everyone who was in it but I do remember there were 20 teams total.

Considering that there were issues getting a decent draft time for the football league this year, the sooner we get a group of folks into it, the better slot we can receive.
As of right now, I've got a slot on Sunday March 9th at 8:40 CST, which is still early enough for those on the east coast (9:40) and late enough for those in the west (6:40).

For those interested, just speak up. I look forward to another baseball season.

Go Cardinals!

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
hook me up John! Sunday is PERFECT I should actually be able to attend this time, first fantasy draft I should be able to make in 2.5 years.

Go Banana!

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Good to hear. I suppose it'll be first come, first served. I'll go ahead and PM you two guys the league # and password.

What type of setup is preferred? I went with public league default settings for the most part. However, it can be changed up until the day of the draft I believe.

Speaking of which, I found out that they've changed the determination of the draft order; it's determined about 30 minutes before draft time. :confused:

Chris Rosene

Second Unit
John, I'm in.
In order to make in more fun and a little more competitive, how about we make each person in the league send 1 DVD to the winner. Win the league and you collect 19 random DVD's . . could be fun.
Either way though, I'm in.:)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I was in it last year, put me down again. My only complaint is that I think 20 teams is a bit too many. It really thins out the talent pool, and an injury to just one key player can sink you for the year.

J

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
I'd like to play, but the draft time doesn't work for me. (I'll be out of town.) Maybe if 20 people want to play, we can split it into two leagues of 10.

I like the DVD idea.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I'm interested in the league but also can't make the Mar 9th draft. The 8th, 15th or 16th would work for me if someone wants to make another league. I'd also like the league to have less than 20 teams. IMO that thins out the talent too much.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
I'm definitely interested, but I've never played fantasy anything before, let alone fantasy baseball. Is there a place I can brush up before getting involved?

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Evan: Thanks - that was a great primer. I'm in - I'd like to give it a try and perhaps hustle you guys out of a DVD. One last question - how does the draft work? On a draw system?

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Ok, I've got it set up:

Yahoo League #: 33605
Password: oar

I cut back the number of teams to 16. I wanted to keep enough teams in it to dilute the pool somewhat so that free agent acquisitions still play a role in the season and also to keep a multiple of 2. Yahoo is doing a playoff system this year, starting on September 1st, and this number allows the top half top get into the playoffs.

The DVD thing I'm not too keen on. First off, the guy who wins may get 15 copies of the smae DVD, there's shipping involved, someone may back out in the middle of the season and feel he/she doesn't have to cough up the DVD..

I like the idea but the implementation is a nightmare. Feel free to make side deals between each other - talk smack to fellow HTFers and back it up with DVDs/whatever. It's just that with a collection of (relatively) unfamiliar people, there can be issues.

Here's the current configuration:

Hitters: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, LF, CF, RF, Util
Pitchers: SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P

16 starting positions, 20 total players on roster. There also is a disabled list (DL) position for those of you who may get a player hurt but don't want to drop him. In last year's league, this wasn't available and I had to drop a few players that later on ended up biting me in the rear.

Added: The stats used are for hitting (runs, ba, hr, rbi, sb) and pitching (wins, era, whip, k, saves). Is that what a standard 5x5 is?

Chris Rosene

Second Unit
I'm in. Team name is sewerrats!

The DVD thing I'm not too keen on. First off, the guy who wins may get 15 copies of the smae DVD, there's shipping involved, someone may back out in the middle of the season and feel he/she doesn't have to cough up the DVD..
I say we implement it, and if somebody backs out or just doesn't want to send it, so be it. Lets say this . . if you win, don't expect all 15 DVD's. You can send a DVD via media mail for less than $2, so the league will cost you $2 and a duplicate/extra/just dont like/seen to many times DVD.

If nobody else wants to do it, I'll still send one to the winner. I like to at least play for something :D

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
So far we've got Springfield Isotopes (me), Calgary Hitmen (Paul M), Terminators (Joe F), and Sewerrats (Chris R).

I can't recall everyone who was in it last year but I'd like to give them a chance to get in. There's still 12 spots open. ;)

The 8th, 15th or 16th would work for me if someone wants to make another league
Unfortunately, the only times open on those dates are early AM (6-9am)..:frowning: I knew this was going to happen so that's why I jumped on the time that we presently have. As of right now, there's an afternoon opening (12p-3p PST) on the 22nd. I'm just not sure how long any of these are going to last.

(that time on the 22nd is now gone...just minutes after posting)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I'm in for the DVD thing. Same team name as last year (why mess with a winning formula)...I'm the Cunning Linguists.

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
I'll sign, up and just hope for a miracle in the autodraft. (I'll see if I can finangle my way onto a computer, cause I can't stand autodraft.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks