What's new

HTF Fantasy Baseball League (1 Viewer)

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Paul, all I've done is start another league based on the points system. The original head-to-head league is still there and ready to go this Sunday.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Sorry about that. All things considered, that's probably the best time that I could've got for the draft though.

Speaking of which - it's this Sunday folks! Don't forget!

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I'm not ready for the draft but hopefully by Sunday I will be. :D I've been searching the Yahoo site and can't seem to find out exactly how the head to head is handled. It looks like it's done in categories, meaning that if you have more HRs for the week than your opponent, you get a point with each of the categories giving a point. Whoever has the most points wins the matchup. This is the way that my Yahoo head to head basketball league worked last year.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I'm not ready for the draft but hopefully by Sunday I will be. I've been searching the Yahoo site and can't seem to find out exactly how the head to head is handled. It looks like it's done in categories, meaning that if you have more HRs for the week than your opponent, you get a point with each of the categories giving a point. Whoever has the most points wins the matchup. This is the way that my Yahoo head to head basketball league worked last year
Tim, ALMOST. You are close, but not quite. It's done by categories. Take HR. If I finish the week with 6 and you finish the week with 4, I take the category.

There are 10 categories. If I take 6 and you take 4, I don't "win the week" and go 1-0-0 while you go 0-1-0, what happens is that I finish the week 6-4-0 and you finish 4-6-0. So it's not just important to take the majority of the categories, it's important to take as MANY categories as you possibly can. It's good to be strong in everything instead of great in like 4 things.

Trust me, I have been playing Yahoo head to head leagues for 3 years now and this is how it's scored.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
One other thing...if there is no limit on transactions, there should be, because people behind in wins and strikeouts will simply dump and add all week to increase the amounts of starts they will get from marginal pitchers. Obviously nobody will drop the big unit or Mussina, etc, but if you have a few guys on your staff like Albie Lopez, Elmer Dessens, etc..then you will dump those guys to pick up the Ted Lilly's of the world whenever it is their turn to pitch.

Last year in one of my leagues the transaction cap was 40 transactions. Seeing as this league is deeper, I think that is a decent number to shoot for.

Head to Head has no innings cap like straight rotisserie has, so you have to cap transactions.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
because people behind in wins and strikeouts will simply dump and add all week to increase the amounts of starts they will get from marginal pitchers
...and more than likely sacrifice ERA, WHIP to do so. Also, they'll be dropping someone that them wasted a draft slot on. Although I have been debating the limit due to some folks who add/drop way too much...

Philip_T

Supporting Actor
Looks like I ran across this thread too late for the 1st league, but would like to join the 2nd one. Will try to sign up for it now.

Phil

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
and more than likely sacrifice ERA, WHIP to do so. Also, they'll be dropping someone that them wasted a draft slot on.
John, not so fast. See, because it's a weekly turn, this is how it USUALLY plays out.

Week's typically end on Saturdays, start anew on Sundays. Say you have two pitchers going on Sunday. Tom Glavine and Bartolo Colon...two studs. Say Glavine pitches OK, but doesn't get a win, only gets 3 K's and gives up some walks. But, say Colon gets SHELLED. 5 runs in 2+ innings. Now, there are only 6 days left. Your WHIP and ERA are already pretty much gone...unless you get a couple shutouts. So, you decide you have to take K's and Wins to offset the two mediocre to bad starts. On Monday, you have three average pitchers going...say Ted Lilly, Tanyon Sturtze and Steve Trachsel. Two of them win, nobody is that impressive doing so and they average 4 K's apiece. Well, you are probably going to drop two of those guys so you can pick up somebody starting either Tuesday or Wednesday, use those starts, then pick up the other guys when they clear waivers...just in time for their next start on Friday. Most guys don't put in for the mediocre guys and there are a ton of them out there. Trust me, it happens all the time. In a 16 team league, there will be one stud pitcher per team...maybe two. The rest of the staff will be filled by eminently replacable guys.

I've seen it happen too many times to simply dismiss the strategy...trust me, it works. I've used it to win many fantasy baseball leagues.

Draft great hitters, and 1-2 solid pitchers. Then recycle the rest of the staff. Who cares if you give up ERA and WHIP? You most likely will take wins, K's and saves (assuming you draft decent closers) and if you have great hitters, you end up taking every week 6-4 or 7-3.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
That's what happens when you don't require a set roster for the whole week. My local league is head to head but it's based on points and has a set roster for the week. I like the strategy of constantly adjusting your starting lineup to maximize points but I don't like the idea of being able to constantly pickup and drop players. Is there a limit to the number of players you can pick up in a week? Are pickups allowed on just a specific day or at any time?

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
No limit to the amount of pickups per week, but there can be a limit to the amount of pickups for the YEAR (depending on how the rule are set). Players can be picked up 24/7.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
I'm in a head to head league on Yahoo, and we've set a minimum of 25 innings pitched each week. Don't know why that couldn't be the case with this league. We implemented the rule precisely because of the pitching carousel.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I'm in a head to head league on Yahoo, and we've set a minimum of 25 innings pitched each week. Don't know why that couldn't be the case with this league. We implemented the rule precisely because of the pitching carousel.
Don't you mean a MAXIMUM of 25 innings per week? Setting a minimum does nothing to deter the strategy I described. In the strategy I described you are trying to get as many innings as possible. I played in a league last year that had a maximum of 60 innings per week (pretty reasonable actually seeing you usually have 7 starters per team and this averages out to one start per week plus your relievers). Unfortunately, we had to do it manually with self imposed sanctions as Yahoo doesn't have an innings cap, just an inning floor.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
I wasn't thinking. It is a minimum because we had a problem with guys just trying to stock up on relievers. They'd pitch very few innings and try to win saves, ERA, WHIP, and losses.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
9:05pm Just relized that the league only has 15 teams. Did someone drop out???? Could have sworn we had 16 a few days ago. This sucks because we won't be able to do a live draft.

Damn:frowning:

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
I thought we had 16 too. Far be it from me to usurp the commissioner, but I'd say that anyone interested and able to draft at 9:40 p.m. EST join up. It would really suck if we didn't draft tonight.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I tried to sign up a second team just so we could have a draft and it said the league is full. I don't get it. What's going on?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks