What's new

HT Room color. (1 Viewer)

Stephane

Stunt Coordinator
One of my friends is finishing his HT room. He is at the painting stage. He has an Overhead Sony VPL 11 a Stewart studiotek 130 screen. His room is long and fairly narrow with an opening on the front left side wall where his screen will be. He was thinking of a rust color with a charcoal grey color for the ceiling.

With out giniving out true room dementions I would like oppinion on the two color and what you think of them.

Lets just call this a poll or something like this.

Thank you for your Reply.
Stephane

Kevin Magee

Agent
Rust and grey sound fine to me. I'm using a dark red, called Kilim Red by Ralph Lauren and a charcoal gray on the ceiling. Just check that the color doesn't clash with the furniture.

bryan:b

Auditioning
For my home theater I used charcoal moon from CIL that I picked up @ home depot on the walls and left the ceiling white. It turned out pretty nice. I will be posting pictures of my home theater soon.

MikeWh

Second Unit
Kevin-- I'm using Kilim Red in my HT, too! I took home about 20 different paint chips and both of my "interior design experts" (my wife and my sister-in-law) picked it out of all the samples. It goes great with black and grays. I originally picked a battleship gray, but it was too dark for me-- I didn't want a cave feel, since my HT has the sloped walls of an attic. I ended up using a lighter gray.

BrianKR

Second Unit
Choosing a color has been a nightmare for me, I cant decide. I have yet to decide and I have viewed 1000 HT setups from others online. I will be ready for paint by the end of this week (just some touch up mudding and sanding to go) and still no color nailed down :frowning:

MikeWh

Second Unit
Awwwww, Brian. It's not so bad. :) Here's what I suggest- take a minute to think of all your friends' and family's houses... figure out who you think has good decorating sense. Then let them help you pick out colors.

Here's what I did:

First, I looked through a couple of great books showing some of the most beautiful pictures of classic movie houses, just to get some basic ideas.
The Last Remaining Seats: Movie Palaces of Tinseltown
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...l/-/0964311976
Popcorn Palaces: The Art Deco Movie Theatre Paintings of Davis Cone
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...l/-/0810943611

Then, since I'm "interior design-challenged," I took some of my possible color schemes to my two experts in taste-- my wife and one of my sisters-in-law. Both of them liked the idea of reds, grays, and black (that was easy!:emoji_thumbsup: )

I went to Home Depot and picked up about 20 different chips of reds that I liked. I showed them to my two experts separately (so one couldn't influence the other.) :D It just so happened that they both chose the same color out of all the chips. (super lucky:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: )

Also keep in mind that some people have strong opinions regarding light relectivity of lighter tones and higher sheen surfaces (they prefer very dark, flat paint or dark fabric for the walls).

Good luck!

Kevin Magee

Agent
MikeWH, it was my wife and mother-in-law that picked the Kilim red! It's a dark color with obvious opposite gender appeal. I gave them a lot of chips and they both like te Kilim red the most. I used Behr Evening Hush for the ceilings. It's dark though, charcoal gray. But, it is gray and doesn't have a blue or green tint like a lot of the gray paint. I find that when you add a tinted gray into your color scheme, it can clash with the color of the walls. I plan to brighten the room up with white crown moulding and base boards.

MikeWh

Second Unit
with obvious opposite gender appeal.
:laugh:
One of my friends (a guy) saw it and said, "What's with the red?!!?!" Every woman that sees it says she loves it. Personally, I love it.

You're absolutely right about needing a completely neutral gray.

Do you have pictures of your HT, Kevin?

JakeMcM

Stunt Coordinator
I went with flat black, and a dark red, i'm happy with it, but then again I have no wife to please, its semi temporary (I'm 20) and I hate painting. I masked off about the bottom third or so, did that the dark red, and then above that flat black, and the ceiling also flat black, it looks pretty nice, nothing really fancy. I had a light color before and it washed out the screen really bad. Personally neutral grey reflected too much light for me and I have heard the darker the better...but I could be wrong.

Tim K

Second Unit
I was between Burgundy and Grey for my walls and ceilings. I ended up with a Neutral Grey which I painted on the walls and ceiling. Grey is a "color" which seems to scare alot of people when you tell them about it. But, with any color if you make sure to "break it up" you will be fine. I just used a Navy Rug and Drapes, and a nice white on the mouldings and trim. Everyone who has seen it likes it...or at least says so to my face!

Whatever color you choose, just make sure you use some nice complimentary colors when it comes to the floors, windows and trim....if you do it will look great.

Kevin Magee

Agent
Mikewh, no, I don't have picture. My room was painted about 2 weeks ago. My home is under construction. No carpet down yet. I'll have pictures when the room is finished.

BrianKR

Second Unit
I picked my colors.
Chilled wine and kettle black (American Tradition Paint)
Now all I have to do is pick a trim color (paint or stain?)
My room only need carpet and trim done. Then I can move my furniture and equipment in.

BrianKR

Second Unit
It's more red then purple and it's both dark and deep.
I am on my third coat and I am not sure if it wont take a forth. The more coats I add the darker it gets.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks