What's new
World Wide Stereo

How do i test all 3 speakers in 3 way floorstanding speaker? (1 Viewer)

Himanshu_S

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all,

Is there a way to test individual speakers in three way floorstanding speakers? How do i find out if one is blown or not?

Thanks in advance!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Put your ear next to the smaller ones (with the volume down). The larger drivers should be pretty obvious when they move.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Set your receiver up to run just (one) of your tower/bookself speakers in stereo or mono with no sub running.

Then run test tones threw it from low freqs to high, also a sweep might work. Listen carefully for no sound out of a driver, missing freqs, something souding garbled, distorted, or scratchy with your ear near each driver as the tones progress up threw the drivers.
Best to do this at low-ish volume 70-75db,,, than loud!!!

As John mentioned some wide range varing music and your ear close to each driver can also allow you to tell if a particular driver (tweeter, mid, woofer), is not working, starting to go, or blown.
A blown diver is pretty easy to notice..

Isolate, (turn other/s speakers off) and do one tower or bookshelf speaker at a time. Start with the one you think may have a problem.

If you know your speaks you should be able to notice what driver might be a problem or blown very easy threw one of these ways.

Regards
Geoff ¥

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
When my friend blew a couple of tweeters in his KEFs, it was immediately obvious that there was a problem because it was clear all the highs were coming from only the left side of the room. Both the RF and RS had cooked tweeters, and it should be quite noticable. If a midrange goes in a 3-way, it may be harder to detect, depending on the x-over points, but it should still be easy to hear that something is wrong.

You can hook a 9V battery up to each speaker and see if each driver "clicks". If not, it may be the driver or something fried on the x-over.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Yup, taking it a step further, John makes another good point at testing for your "possible problem".

The good ole "Everyready Bunny" trick.

Himanshu_S

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the responses.
Unfortunately I can't take apart my speaker to check each driver with a battery.

What frequencies does a midrange handle usually?

When having only one speaker connected to the receiver, if the bass sounds fuller and deeper on the left side of the speaker but not on the right side, is that a problem with a driver or just because of a room? is there a place where I can download all of the test tones? I had a link for it once but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks again.

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor

Here is an easy way to tell- reverse the position of the speakers. If the bass is still weak on the right, then its the room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks