What's new

Setting Up Speakers, Need help with receiver settings (1 Viewer)

Trogdor796

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Calvin Kubat
I have the following:

Front Speakers: Klipsch RF-62ii
Center : Klipsch RC-62ii
Side Surrounds: Klipsch RB-61ii
Sub: Outlaw Ultra X-12
Receiver: DENON AVR-X1100W

So, I ran Audyssey, but it just didn't seem right. The distances looked good, but it set all the speakers to really low -dB, to the point where I couldn't even hear them unless I set the volume to like maximum. It also set my fronts to large, and all of my speakers had different crossoever settings. There's also a setting somewhere that the options are LFE+Main, LFE, or NONE. I set the fronts to small and set the universal crossover to 80hz and set all the speakers to 0dB. It sounded better that but still seemed...off. I don't know how to put it.

1 - Should I re-run Audyssey? I ran all 8 tests. When I run the tests should I have my chairs moved out of the way and the mic at ear height where the chairs are supposed to be or should I leave the chairs and set the mic on top of them at ear height? Is it necessary to run all 8 position tests?

2 - I've read tons of threads saying floorstanding speakers should be set to small and many others saying set them to large. This system will be used for 50% movies, 40% gaming, and maybe, MAYBE 10% music. With that in mind and my other speakers in the config, what should I set the front speakers size to and what should I do as a crossover for my speakers?

3 - My sub I have at 0 phase, volume dial at half way, and it's crossover dial turned all the way up(120hz I think). It's also set in max extension mode with one of the ports plugged. Does this seem right?

4 - I didn't really check this, but can you change the volume during Audyssey? I'm just trying to figure out why it set all my speakers to like -20dB. could I have had the volume wrong possibly, or is that all automatically done?

5 - The setting I mentioned earlier, LFE+Main, LFE, or NONE, what is that, and what should I have it set to?

This is my first time running Audyssey, and the last time I set up a 5.1 system was a few years ago, so it's a bit different. Just want to make sure I'm doing things right!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ok...Audyssey sets for reference volume. Meaning, turning the AVR up to "0", is reference.So, your really efficient Klipsch would be set -20. So that "0" is reference volume. Most of us listen around -20 to -15 on TV programming. I watched Dawn of the Planet of the Apes last night at -5.If you turn off Audyssey, your maximum audio is probably +10. After Audyssey, because of the -20. Your new maximum is likely +30.Regarding crossover. You could put the main at 40. Leave the rest at 80.Regarding the mic...Did you sit it on a cushion...or use a tripod?

Trogdor796

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Calvin Kubat
So when you say put the main at 40 for crossover, and leave the rest at 80, which setting/speaker do you mean by main?

For the Mic for the tests some the position to place the mic was next to a chair and some of the tests the position was right where a chair was. When the position was next to a chair I used a tripod, when it was where a chair would be I stood a foam pillot the tall way and set the mic on top of it so it was ear height in the chair. I messed it up didn't I :(

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Main means...the main two.You used a tripod, just use it everywhere. You also don't have to take every position. If I use auto-eq, I do main seated, far left and far right.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Large/small has nothing to do with speaker size...Small=included in bass management Large=excluded from bass managementLFE + main allows .1 material, over the chosen crossover, to be shared equally between the sub and main 2. Personal preference.

Trogdor796

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Calvin Kubat
So if I set all the speakers to small I should do a universal crossover of 80hz?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Trogdor796 said:
So if I set all the speakers to small I should do a universal crossover of 80hz?
I haven't played with a Denon of this new E/X generation.By default, choosing any crossover on any pair of speakers(or center) automatically sets it small. (That is how the prior XX10/11/12/13 all worked)So, in essence...Choose a crossover...or leave it Large. Personally, I would set the towers at 40. Sure somebody will chime in with, "that is wrong, why waste the AVR's limited power on bass..."It isn't like you dont have headroom to spare since Audyssey is setting everything -20.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Checkout the Audyssey guide in my signature. It is not completely up to date but it has the basics of using the mic. It is VERY important to follow the recommendations or you will end up with a very bad sounding system. Also, do not change the crossover lower than what Audyssey recommends. This is the lowest point Audyssey will correct in your room (it was the point that your speakers started to fall off in your room). Higher is always OK.

I don't have an issue with wasting power on the bass - The problem is the best place for the subs (to get the best bass) is not the same as the best place to put the mains. I always cross my more than capable floor standers over at 80 Hz (unless I'm listing to music in stereo using a direct mode which overrides the crossover).

Trogdor796

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Calvin Kubat
Thanks to both of you for the tips.

I re-ran setup using a tripod 100% of the time and the distances seem to be right, and it set the following as my dB level for the speakers:

Front L: -8.5dB
Front R: -9.0dB
Center: -9.0dB
Subwoofer: -9.5dB
Surround L: -6.5dB
Surround R: -5.5dB

For now I just set all speakers at small(fronts were large by default), and set it to LFE and LPF is at 120hz(google said this is correct usually). I may do some experimenting later with Large vs Small and a different crossover setting for the fronts but for now it's at 80hz for all speakers.

It sounds pretty good! I played some test sections of Blu-Rays(Guardians of Galaxy, Transformers 4, Saving Private Ryan), and am about to try some music. The only thing that sounds a little weird is the subwoofer. I think I have it in a bad spot(too close to a wall) and may also experiment with leaving both ports open with max output mode vs max extension. For now it just seems that bass isn't punchy enough, not sure. I have the volume dial at like 60-70%, don't know if I should turn it up higher.

Also, to get a good level of sound(like theater level loud), I need to have the receiver turned up to 70-75dB. With my old energy speaker and pioneer receiver going over 60 was something that never happened, as it would just be way too loud. Are different speakers and receivers different in this regard? I guess I just figured that since these speakers were bigger I wouldn't have to turn it up as much, but I'm probably mission something. Is this what you meant when you said this:

"So, your really efficient Klipsch would be set -20. So that "0" is reference volume. Most of us listen around -20 to -15 on TV programming. I watched Dawn of the Planet of the Apes last night at -5."

Is "0"/reference like max volume on the receiver? Or is that different/I have it wrong?

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
With those numbers you are now set to 'reference'. So now your speakers should be at "theater level" when you turn it to 75 (I may be wrong - it may be 85). I suggest you change the "scale" in the volume menu so that you see "0" as the top end (mine is under the volume menu). Then "0" is reference.

Move the sub around to find the best spot - be sure to turn Audessey off first. Once you find the best spot you will have to re-run.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
0 reference is not "max volume". It indicates that you are experiencing 85db to 105db of volume(based on BD having 20db of headroom).So, -5 is 80 to 100-15 70 to 90.

Trogdor796

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Calvin Kubat
Ah, I see now. I think I saw the option to change the scale in my receiver earlier, I'll probably change because now that I think about it that makes more sense that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks