What's new

Help with ARCAM AVR200 not displaying video through projector (1 Viewer)

bstar92

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Hi,
If anyone can help me with this I'd be very grateful.
I've just moved in to a new place which has an ARCAM AVR200 box thats connected to an on-ceiling projector. There is a dvd player hooked up and a separate hdmi/scart scale converter to connect a hdmi lead.

When the dvd player is turned on, I am receiving sound through the connected speakers, controlled from the ARCAM box so that is all fine. The issue I am having is with the projector not displaying the picture. On the screen it just says "INPUT A - NO INPUT" when the projector is turned on.

I have attached two photos from the back of my ARCAM box (quite difficult to get a good photo with the position it's set up in). There is also a picture I've taken from the manual which shows the layout of the back of the box.

I am wondering if one of the leads is in the wrong place or if there's an obvious reason why the picture is not displaying? If anyone can help me with this I'd be so grateful as I really want to get it setup ASAP!

Thank you! :)

Edit: for some reason the post won't let me add the photos. I will try readding them

bstar92

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
These are the photos I mentioned above! Hopefully someone can see the cause of the video not showing!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210103-192731_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210103-192731_Gallery.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 133
  • Screenshot_20210103-192728_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210103-192728_Gallery.jpg
    332 KB · Views: 122
  • Screenshot_20210103-170153_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20210103-170153_Drive.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 120

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
To really diagnose this we would need to see the connections on the projector and the DVD player. But first I would plug in the video feed on the DVD input. In the one picture it looks like it's hanging out a little.

Brian

bstar92

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Thanks so much Brian, I have checked and all leads are fully plugged in, must have come out slightly for taking the photo. Unfortunately it was not the cause of the issue but at least they are all fully inserted now. In reply to your comment, I have now attached a photo of the projector connections too. Hope this helps to find a cause! #praying someone on here has the solution 😄

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210103-231446_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210103-231446_Gallery.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 132

bstar92

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Ah and just saw the bit about DVD player connections, so heres a photo of the back of the dvd player too!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210103-232703_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210103-232703_Gallery.jpg
    547 KB · Views: 114

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
The problem is that the DVD is not on input A, it is on the video input. Try changing the input on the projector. Input A is for component video but the receiver is sending composite video.

The whole thing is also a mess and not wired right. There are audio outputs going to video inputs, there is a mix of component going to composite. Do you know anyone with knowledge of audio video that could look at the wiring and straighten it out?

Brian

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't see any reason to use the SCART in the first place. The player has the outputs you need without it.

Like Brian said, almost nothing (possibly nothing, but it is a bit of a mess) is connected correctly. You really only need two connections. The yellow (composite) video from the player, through the receiver (that's what the Arcam "box" is called) to the projector, and digital audio from the player to the receiver.

It's not unusual to mess up inputs and outputs, but they have to be connected correctly for anything to work. There is a flow. Player Outputs > Receiver inputs > then Receiver output (for video) > Projector input. You can't connect an output to an output or an input to an input.

bstar92

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Thanks guys for all the input.
I took your advice above and spoke to someone who knows their cables. After a video call (lockdown issues!) we progressed and decided to scrap the dvd player issue, seems there may have been an issue with the dvd player itself. After some changing around of cables, the HDMI converter now connects and its possible to connect a laptop or something with a HDMI lead and get BOTH audio and video output on the big screen - very happy!

Now I have one final question for anyone here who could please advise. The quality of the picture. It is watchable how it is, of course, and I understand the equipment is not the newest and latest tech, but is there a way to improve the quality (other than the standard turning the dial thing on the front of the projector)?

When watching things, writing comes up VERY pixelated and if you look close then the quality is a bit fuzzy when watching something on Netflix, YouTube or amazon prime for example. I just connected it to a Macbook air. I am not sure if the quality can be improved of the picture on the screen?
Again- I have ATTACHED a few images for reference. If anyone could advise me the best ways to check the resolution or picture quality settings and if you think I can improve it that would be fantastic (sorry I am not the most tech savvy with home theater equipment - still learning!) So appreciate all the advice and tips anyone here can give me.

If I can tune up the picture a bit that would be totally awesome.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to hearing from anyone!

Attachments

• 20210106_194415.jpg
    20210106_194415.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 20210106_194404.jpg
    20210106_194404.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 123
  • 20210106_194352.jpg
    20210106_194352.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 115

bstar92

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Oh and for anyone curious! - here's a video of the setup now working! (Since the video I have moved the furniture away so the screen has unrestricted view and this bed is not there). Not bad so far... I know its a far shot from a lot of your pro-setups (but hey, newbie here, and still pretty happy with it!)

Nb. Video showing is just a trailer from YouTube, not part of an actual movie.

Attachments

• 20210105_194625.mp4
    29.4 MB

bstar92

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Oh and I guess for my last question I should tell you the projector model is Sony LCD Video Projector VPL-VW11HT (not the newest tech, but I am sure there must be some adjustable settings somewhere to perfect the picture quality a bit better.. )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks