What's new
World Wide Stereo

Help! So Many Receivers... (1 Viewer)

rnuge

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob
I'm trying to put together a 3.1 setup (surrounds later) for under $800. I thought I had narrowed the field on receivers but now I'm not sure. My original short list was:

Onkyo TX-SR608 $400
Pioneer VSX-1020-K $430

But given my overall budget and influenced by some sage advice on this forum (and also comparing specs/features) - I think it might be wiser to try to keep the receiver to more like $300 and put the extra into speakers. Thus my new short list is:

Pioneer VSX-920-K $299
Onkyo HT-RC260 $330 (from what I read basically equivalent to TX-SR608 minus THX certification,Sirius ready, VGA input)
Denon AVR1910 $370

The Denon is on the list mostly because it seems well regarded and more or less closest competitor to the other two. A bit more $ obviously.

I like what I read about Onkyo generally and like the 2yr warranty. I have to admit I'm a little confused by their product line around this price point - TX-SR### versus HT-RC###. Why two competing lineups? On the other hand VSX-920-K is more ipod ready and seems like sort of a good sweet-spot at $300. I really like this one based on reviews. I haven't listened to any of these yet but will.

All have ample inputs for my needs. I do not care about 3D but HDMI v1.4 seems like part of any package at this point.

Question - It seems like I am not giving up a lot between these two price points (~$300 vs. ~$400) but am I missing something? (On the other hand it seems like going from low-to-mid $200's to around $300 gives a good bump in features/inputs.)

Any opinions on these versus one another? Or are there others not on my list that should be?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
You're right about spending more on speakers and a little less on the receiver.

The difference between $300 and $400 is usually just a little more power and another input or two. The Onkyo 508 might be all you need.

Pioneer's are well reviewed but receivers with Audyssey room correction seem to be the most popular around here, especially with their Dynamic Volume and EQ features. But MCACC also does a pretty good job.

I've never understood why Onkyo has models that are so close to each other in features and price either . But they must know what they're doing.

You should also consider the Denon 1610/1611. As I've said in the past, Denon's are a nightmare for me to setup, and their remotes aren't the best, but their performance is first rate. And they have an up-graded version of Audyssey, Multi-EQ vs. 2EQ.

Any receiver you've mentioned will be more than adequate. Make sure you buy from an authorized dealer to protect the warranty.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
If you are confused with making a decision among four receivers wait until you start looking for speakers, as you are going to have many more choices. Let you ears be your guide.

rnuge

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob
Thanks. Well I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on the VSX-1020 which at the moment on Amazon (with coupon code IO2OFALL) can be had for $350. Seems like a good deal. I'm hestiating because I'm not convinced I need to spend the exta $50 over the VSX-920. Probabaly not worth sweating...

I had been drawn towards the Onkyo(s) but I am concerned about the heat - the receiver is going inside a custom cabinet that only has a 7.5"H bay for this item... I read that the 608/HT-RC260 run cooler than other models but I still fear that unless I add forced ventilation, 1/2" above that onkyo seems dicey - while 1.3" above the cooler Pioneer seems safer.

The one thing that pains me is giving up the Audyssey Dynamic EQ; I am pretty content that the MCACC and Pioneer's version of dynamic volume will be satisfactory. But I do feel I am giving up the Dyn EQ. Sigh.

DrSpill

Agent
Real Name
Moris K.
I'm not sure how kosher it is to discuss prices from different sites so I won't go into specifics, but I will add that you should online chat different vendors and see if any will lower their price.....it may bring some receivers into your price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sitcomguy
Recent bookmarks