What's new
World Wide Stereo

HELP PLEASE! (1 Viewer)

bgamb24

Auditioning
Real Name
Brett
I would be MOST appreciative if any of you could lend me some advice. We are currently remodeling the media room to switch from using a 65" Pioneer Elite pro-730hdi to an as yet undecided projector. The ceilings are 9' and will be using a Chief SL-150 projector lift which will be mounted flush into the ceiling. The ceiling is white and the walls are beige. Room dimensions are ~ 16'4"X21'. Screen will be placed one of the 16 sides. Light control will be perfect. Content will be almost exclusively blu-ray with the occasional comcast HD movie rental. I am considering a DLP projector (Optoma 8600, sim2 D80e, marantz 15s2. I also cannot decide on the best screen size, although I realize it will probably have a Hc grey screen and be between 96 and 106". Projector/screen recommendation would be greatly appreciated. I also realize that regardless of which combo I decide upon, placement will be tricky, as most of the DLP projectors are not very horizontally forgiving.
The contractors have completed repositioning the speakers and remodeling the component rack. They are REALLY pressing me for a decision ASAP. Again, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
One last question, would $6000 for a Sim2 D80E with less than 100hrs of use be a good deal?. Also, it seems that while the Sim2 and Marantz models might be better quality units, the models are almost two years older than the Optoma. I found the Optoma online for $4485.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Brett:

Are you stuck on a DLP projector? Have you looked into D-ILA or LCD? A good place to start for getting suggestions on a screen would be Carada. David Giles, the owner, won't oversell you on a screen and will be able to make suggestions for your best solution give your room size, etc.

Another great place to look and give a shout out to is Visual Apex for suggestions on both screen and projectors.

Personally I like the JVC RS25, Panasonic AE4000 and the Epson 8500UB from the projectors I have seen.

I am sure you will get plenty of other suggestions and recommendations for both a projector and screen to fit your room.

Parker

bgamb24

Auditioning
Real Name
Brett
The JVC models will not fit in the SL-150 lift ( I ordered and received a DLA-HD550 only to have to return it). I keep hearing statments amounting to "once you go DLP, you cant go back). Hence the desire to choose one I am not hung up on colors being completely accurate, I just love a great looking, vibrant picture with a good amount of depth.

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
My recommendation would be the products designed in cooperation with Joe Kane Productions: the Samsung SP-A800B projector and the Da-Lite 'JKP Affinity' .9 gain screen. You will have to determine if the projector will fit your lift. I am a dealer for these products, but also for most of their competition's products, including the other projectors previously mentioned. You cannot buy them from me if you aren't in my local area. There is no internet sales of the JKP-approved products. If I was designing your system, these are the solutions I would recommend for the best overall imaging performance near the price range you are considering.

You say you have "perfect" light control. That's impossible with a white ceiling and beige walls. Don't forget the substantial light source that will be your screen when it's lit up by the projector (even during dim scenes). Your light colored ceiling and walls will unavoidably reflect screen illumination back to the screen surface. That reflected light will contaminate the image in varying degrees.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.
A Lion AV Consultants Affiliate

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks