What's new

Are 3D Projectors worth it still? 2020 (1 Viewer)

saintpriva

Auditioning
Real Name
Saint Priva
Hey everyone! This has been my limiting factor to get into projectors. I have been looking for UST projectors due to renting currently but that is beyond the point. My main issue is
Are 3D projectors worth it? Anyone with 3D projectors use it often or only watch 2D? I heard there are few movies that are worth watching in 3D only.

I really want a LG HU85LA but haven't purchased it due to it not having 3D but I know Home theater 3D is not Cinema 3D. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

SIDE NOTE: I would get a Optoma Cinemax Pro since it has 3D but I heard it has halo boarder glows and a bit of rainbow effect. But if 3D is worth it I'll buy the Optoma anyway.
VIDEO SHOWING GLOW ->

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
I’m in the same boat as you 300 to 400+ Titles W/optima 25E rf glasses. why not have both? A dedicated 3D and separate 4K projector.

personally hdr is the “killer feature“ for me so unless a breakthrough happens on native 4K Dolby Vision capable projector I’ll likely stick to oled /direct view.

having said all that I don’t even own oled yet. Have a tcl 605 and thus far it’s just been meh. Most of my content is still 2k

taxman

Auditioning
Real Name
Craig
I’m in the same boat as you 300 to 400+ Titles W/optima 25E rf glasses. why not have both? A dedicated 3D and separate 4K projector.

personally hdr is the “killer feature“ for me so unless a breakthrough happens on native 4K Dolby Vision capable projector I’ll likely stick to oled /direct view.

having said all that I don’t even own oled yet. Have a tcl 605 and thus far it’s just been meh. Most of my content is still 2k
You might look at the JVC Projectors. I have a 590 (not the latest full 4K model they have out now), and do use it for the 3d Blu_raus I own

If you do choose to do that, there are 3d glasses out of a German firm, that are cheaper than the JCV glasses.

You do need a $100 JVC emitter for the glasses to work

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
until dolby vision projector are here i’ll stick to direct view for dv implementations

You might look at the JVC Projectors. I have a 590 (not the latest full 4K model they have out now), and do use it for the 3d Blu_raus I own

If you do choose to do that, there are 3d glasses out of a German firm, that are cheaper than the JCV glasses.

You do need a $100 JVC emitter for the glasses to work

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
until dolby vision projector are here i’ll stick to direct view for dv implementations

Definitely don't hold your breath waiting for that. Might never happen (at least actually coming very close to meeting specs in actual practice anyway)... because of that pesky thing called physics, hehheh... ;)

_Man_

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
gotchya. i’m using the optoma bc300 rf emitter with only optoma zf2300 series.

the issue with these types of glasses is they have become rarer and rarer. i wished all projectors were like the epsons with rf built in and more flexibility with the types of glasses used

The question is in regard to the 3D glasses you mentioned.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
This can be a polarizing topic. I'll be honest, I rarely actually watch 3D titles but at the same time, I'll never willingly own a projector that doesn't support them. The reason I don't bother with it much now is time but [hopefully] someday that won't be as much of a concern so I want it available to me.

HDR is essentially a gimmick in the projector world since nothing on the market can come even close to the required light output to make it worthwhile.

GeorgeHolland

Stunt Coordinator
This can be a polarizing topic. I'll be honest, I rarely actually watch 3D titles but at the same time, I'll never willingly own a projector that doesn't support them. The reason I don't bother with it much now is time but [hopefully] someday that won't be as much of a concern so I want it available to me.

HDR is essentially a gimmick in the projector world since nothing on the market can come even close to the required light output to make it worthwhile.

Projectors can provide spectacular results with HDR. My experience is with JVC projectors. I've had a DLA-RS500 for around 5 years and although it isn't a native 4K projector, it has eShift, it can display 4K source material. I do use a Lumagen Pro 4242 and with its' Dynamic Tone Mapping (DTM) for HDR content, it looks amazing if properly calibrated. DTM solves the challenges of brightness needed for HDR.

I've recently upgraded to a JVC DLA-RS2000 and it is a native 4K projector. The recent firmware update improved it even more and by itself it has very good DTM. I'll continue to use my Radiance Pro 4242 because it has better DTM and a number of additional benefits. To help with the additional brightness required to optimize HDR I also added the Panamorph DCR-J1. The DCR-J1 claims to increase brightness over 30% for scope content. The Lumagen and A lens are not required to get great results, they just add to an already excellent projector.

Almost all JVC projectors do an excellent job with 3D. The latest JVC's changed the polarization to the more common format so the XPAND X105-RF-X1 glasses are the better choice for screens that retain polarization and are a more reasonable $51.00

I also have an LG 77 CX in my family room and while it is much brighter, there is no comparison, in my opinion, to watching 4k HDR movies on a 115" x 49" screen

DCR-J1b.jpg

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
Projectors can provide spectacular results with HDR. My experience is with JVC projectors. I've had a DLA-RS500 for around 5 years and although it isn't a native 4K projector, it has eShift, it can display 4K source material. I do use a Lumagen Pro 4242 and with its' Dynamic Tone Mapping (DTM) for HDR content, it looks amazing if properly calibrated. DTM solves the challenges of brightness needed for HDR.

I've recently upgraded to a JVC DLA-RS2000 and it is a native 4K projector. The recent firmware update improved it even more and by itself it has very good DTM. I'll continue to use my Radiance Pro 4242 because it has better DTM and a number of additional benefits. To help with the additional brightness required to optimize HDR I also added the Panamorph DCR-J1. The DCR-J1 claims to increase brightness over 30% for scope content. The Lumagen and A lens are not required to get great results, they just add to an already excellent projector.

Almost all JVC projectors do an excellent job with 3D. The latest JVC's changed the polarization to the more common format so the XPAND X105-RF-X1 glasses are the better choice for screens that retain polarization and are a more reasonable $51.00

I also have an LG 77 CX in my family room and while it is much brighter, there is no comparison, in my opinion, to watching 4k HDR movies on a 115" x 49" screen

View attachment 91957

do you have panasonic 9k? i hear that tonemaps even more

GeorgeHolland

Stunt Coordinator
do you have panasonic 9k? i hear that tonemaps even more

I have the 820 in another room but use an Oppo 203 with the projector. The Panasonic DTM is of no benefit when using the Lumagen Radiance Pro and with JVC's DTM, I don't think it is even a benefit without a Radiance Pro. I haven't needed to consider it so can't be sure outside of the Pro.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
I have the 820 in another room but use an Oppo 203 with the projector. The Panasonic DTM is of no benefit when using the Lumagen Radiance Pro and with JVC's DTM, I don't think it is even a benefit without a Radiance Pro. I haven't needed to consider it so can't be sure outside of the Pro.
have you compared radiance to madvr?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

Well, not to be argumentative but the particular setup you have in place would retail for well over $10,000. The projector alone could not achieve the same results even though it was one of the best of it's time and retailed for $6000.00. I would agree that your setup likely provides "spectacular" HDR compared to other projectors but my point was no projector can touch even an inexpensive OLED so I chose to abandon the notion rather than sink thousands into its pursuit.

That said, I'm sure you have an amazing system in place, just not a path I chose to follow.

GeorgeHolland

Stunt Coordinator
Well, not to be argumentative but the particular setup you have in place would retail for well over $10,000. The projector alone could not achieve the same results even though it was one of the best of it's time and retailed for $6000.00. I would agree that your setup likely provides "spectacular" HDR compared to other projectors but my point was no projector can touch even an inexpensive OLED so I chose to abandon the notion rather than sink thousands into its pursuit.

That said, I'm sure you have an amazing system in place, just not a path I chose to follow.

Fair enough, budget is always a consideration and that may hold true for a 6-year-old OLED as well although I didn’t look in to them 6 years ago and don’t know what their prices or HDR capabilities were. Plenty of owners were able to build or load custom curves to get acceptable results with the RS500 even without a processor or lens.

More relevant is the RS1000/NX5 which lists for $6000 with a lower street price. The RS1000 doesn’t need a Lumagen, MadVR or A lens to look amazing, it handles both HDR and 3D extremely well, the lens and processor just take it to another level.

I’m aware of someone else who made a similar decision and scraped his projector for a 77 inch OLED, even put the OLED in his theater room. I have both and personally prefer the OLED for regular TV viewing and occasional movies. It does look amazing and a family room allows multitasking, a nice fire in the fireplace, conversation, and a number of other advantages. For immersive movie watching I prefer a dedicated light-controlled theater with a large scope screen. A 77 inch just can’t compare. I don’t take your comments as argumentative, we all have preferences and can both be right.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks