What's new
World Wide Stereo

Help me understand crossover (1 Viewer)

AshishNJ

Agent
Real Name
ASHISH BHARDWAJ
Whenever I am reading tech specs for a speaker, i always come across a term called crossover frequency. Can someone please explain what it means and what a good number is ?

ex. Speaker is lsited 10-130w
frq 30-20KHZ
Impedence 8Ohm
Crossover 2500 ??

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
In your example the bass driver would produce the frequency range from 30hz to 2500hz. The tweeter would produce 2500hz to 30,000hz. It's called a crossover because it's the point where the frequency crosses over from the woofer to the tweeter.

And of course, it's not really a point but more like a slope. The woofer would slowly begin to drop off in volume as the tweeter slowly begins to increase in volume. A well designed crossover leads to a smooth, seamless frequency response.

Some less expensive speakers don't really use a crossover but the tweeter has a bass blocker, which blocks harmful bass notes from reaching the tweeter. The woofer will receive the full range signal, even though it can't reproduce the whole range. There's a lot more to it than that but other, more knowledgable members would be better to explain in more detail.

AshishNJ

Agent
Real Name
ASHISH BHARDWAJ
That is good to know. So, a 3500 HZ cut-over vs. 2500 hz cutover rating for a pair of speakers, which one is better ?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
We can't answer that question without knowing the details of the drivers used and the goals of the designer.

-Robert

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Neither is "better". It's just a design choice. It's not a number you have to care about at all if you aren't the one building the speaker!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks