What's new
World Wide Stereo

HDTV Advice: LCD Panels (1 Viewer)

Mightymilk

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Mundt
i've been into Home Theater Equipment for quite a few years. my setup currently is getting pretty outdated.

- CRT Sony 27" Wega series
- Sony 6.1 Channel Receiver
- Definitive Technology BP series Towers, CLR Center Channel, and BP Surrounds.
- Toshiba Flagship DVD Player

i can't afford to upgrade everything at once, so i'm going to try and upgrade the things that will make the biggest difference.

1. new HDTV
2. build a Blu-ray computer/player
3. new Denon Receiver with AL28 processing
4. new Speakers

here's the display i was looking at, i have a preference for LCD over Plasma for clarity. any thoughts on this display?
LN40A650 LCD TV - televisions SAMSUNG

does the 6 series justify the price over the 5 series? i like Samsung slightly better than Sony right now. any other brands i should check out? i'm not looking to go any lower than 40 inches.

728x90

SethH

Senior HTF Member
The 650 is a very solid set. My understanding, although I don't know this has been confirmed, is that Samsung produces their own panels for the 6 through 9 series and they outsource the panels for all the other series of displays.

One thing to consider . . . Amazon.com has had some of the best prices on this set for quite a while. I noticed recently, however, that Amazon has the 7 series set for only a few dollars more (literally)!

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
If you want clarity, better black levels, and no motion blur/loss of resolution during fast action sequences, plasma beats LCD hands down.

Mightymilk

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Mundt

can anyone confirm if they outsource for 5 series and below? having a hard time deciding on saving money and going for the 5 series... or paying extra for the 6.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
My brother in law is very happy with his 52" Samsung 650.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks