What's new

New TV, maybe soon (1 Viewer)

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
Hi,

I haven't been on HTF in a long time and don't remembered my last post. Back in the days, HTF was extremely helpful at helping me pick out a HDTV, which I still have and had it calibrated twice by Gregg.

Due to the times, I want to take advantage of the bargains coming up, Black Friday, Christmas, Post Holiday and the Super Bowl.

Maybe this is a good time at upgrading soon.

I still have my Panny 47" rptv. It still looks great and the calibration has held up well. I've thought about having Gregg calibrate it again, but let's face it, it doesn't makes sense to calibrate my TV, when you can get a LCD or Plasma for sub $1000 for a screen size similar to mine.

I would to get a LCD vs. a Plasma because I like the matted screen that reduces the glare a lot.

I tend to buy my big ticket items at Costco because of the price and their outstanding after service.

I don't want an off brand, because the cost saving in not that much over the years.

After the burn in is over, I plan to setup at appointment with Gregg and have the display ISF Calibrated.

46-52" is the screen size that I'm looking more. Anything less, will be too small for the room. I really don't think that I will see a difference if I go an inch smaller from what I have now because I will be upgrading from a RPTV to a flat panel. 52" will be nice, but the TV might be too overwhelming for the room.

I'm leaning toward to a Sharp Aquos line from Costco.

The TV will be mounted on a stand and be replacing the Panny.

I'm in the process of changing my AVR to a Denon 2808 and when I purchase the TV, I will get Blu Ray (PS3 or player).

How are the Sharps compare to Samsungs and Sonys?

I'm staying away from plasmas because I want a matted screen.

Thanks for your advice.

If I don't upgrade my screen by Super Bowl, I can wait till spring or summer of 09.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hey TJ
Im looking at making a purchase also.
Most likely a 50" 720 Samsung plasma or a 42" LCD samsung. Both will be $798 at WalMart on Friday.

Tim Jin

Supporting Actor
Hey GL,
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I will be contacting you soon (3-6 mos) to calibrate my soon to be new tv.

Maybe a Sharp.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks