What's new

MY RPTV just died and I'm LOST on this HD stuff. (1 Viewer)

Charles S

Agent
Hi everyone! I'm delurking (although I haven't really even been lurking for some time due to health issues) because my Pioneer 60 inch RPTV just died over the weekend and it looks like I may be in the market for a new TV. No I cannot remember which model it is, because the model number has worn off except on the back panel and I can't get back there right now. But I got it in 1997, but I think it was a 96 model on clearance. It wasn't the top of the line, but it was really good enough for me. (at the time I had an LD player and now am on SD DVD)

(I have a spare RCA 32 inch CRT that might tide me over, though it had some problems when I stopped using it in back in 1997, but it's been hibernating since then, so maybe I can get a few months out of it...hopefully, as money is going to definitely be a MAJOR issue here)

Anyways I'm really lost on all the new technology out there, HDTV, flat screens and the like. Because of the state of the economy and family health problems I know there is simply NO WAY I can get anything approaching my Pioneer.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
I'm honestly not even sure I can swing an LCD flatscreen TV at all, and I might have to settle for a CRT TV.

But if, and that's a big IF I can get a flatscreen, I honestly have NO idea what to look for. Any basic primers available online, or advice about what features I should look for, "refresh rates" etc?

We do do a lot of day time TV watching, but I personally prefer to watch DVD's (especially TV shows) on it. And I don't want my movies to look like computer game graphics like when DVD was first hitting the market. I know I can't go over $600, and that's probably with a stand for the TV (unless I can find one at the recycling center). As I said, I'm honestly not sure I can even swing that, and may just go the CRT route, but hardly anyone carries them over 27 inches, and that's really too small I think. (I'm thinking 32 inches is probably my limit due to budget) Anyways, any advice, suggestions, or even just a "primer" of what to look for (especially for the LCD TVs) because I really have no idea where to begin. Hopefully my RCA set will hold up for 6 months or a year when I can afford something a little easier, but there's no guarantee. (right now I'm using a 1989 19inch RCA model, so I guess after that, anything bigger will seem "huge"...lol!

Thanks and sorry for such a basic/beginners question...but it's been a long time since I've had to shop for a TV.

C.S.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
For $600, you can find 32" and even 36" LCD HDTVs on sale. If you're watching from 10' or farther, you'll be fine with 720p (instead of 1080i or 1080p).

I don't think you can find HDTV CRTs any more. And after 6 years with a 36" Sony WEGA, I wouldn't recommend it.

For easy information normal viewing, I think Consumer Reports is a good place to look as well.

Charles S

Agent
Thanks for the tips! I've been looking at consumer reports and have already found lots of valuable information.

Thanks again!

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
great timing!
Lots of fantastic pricing over the next few weeks.
Good luck

Charles S

Agent

That's what I thought too...hopefully the deals will be extremely good.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
My backup RCA is already showing signs of failure, (it is one of those mid 90 RCA's that had the bad soldering problem which I never had fixed because I wasn't using it anymore). Looks like it might have a few weeks of use left in it, but who knows.

If I decide too go flat screen I'm sure I'll have more questions in the coming weeks.

SherardP

Stunt Coordinator
If you want a great bang for buck I would highly recommend a Vizio LCD model. That should offer you HD in excellent quality and should last you some time. Granted its not the top of line Pioneer Elite, Sony, or Samsung, however it will throw a nice picture and one you can be happy with.

Craig

Second Unit
I'd save up a little more money if $600 is truly your limit. The local Brandsmart here in Atlanta has a 42" Panasonic plasma & also a 42" Samsung plasma, both priced at $698. They've got a 32" Toshiba LCD for $498. The store is local to Georgia and S. Florida and handles a lot of closeout items, but the prices are probably indicative of where things are headed. You can probably find something in that pricerange near you.

A TV is usually a longterm purchase. I'd try to get the best I could afford, and worry about things like a stand later. Sit it on an old bookshelf or whatever for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rekhasharmatdiu
Recent bookmarks