What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Going to Movies Alone/Watching Animated Movies: Weird? (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don't understand why there is this belief that animation has to be for kids. It does not. Animation is a medium, not a genre, and that medium can be used to tell any story, whether it is appropriate for kids or not. Certainly, there are a lot of animated films that are made with the intention that kids should be able to be part of the audience, but the best animation is not restrictive to that audience.

Why are we still having this discussion? Beauty and the Beast, Up and Toy Story 3 have been nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars. I think Toy Story 4 should be nominated next month too. You don't get that kind of recognition if you're simply pandering to children. There is sophisticated storytelling being done in animated films of all kinds, including Frozen II. There are also a number of animated films from recent years that are not appropriate for young children and are great. The Breadwinner, Persepolis, Anomalisa, Waltz with Bashir, Your Name, The Wind Rises, The Night Is Short Walk On Girl, etc.

Zootopia is another great example of one that is fine for kids to watch and enjoy, but which touches on serious themes that will be more appreciated by adults.

So why shouldn't you go see whatever you want?

It would be weird if you went up to a bunch of kids you don't know and started talking to them and asking personal details about them and generally acting like a crazy person. That would not be welcome.

If you just go to the movie, sit in your seat, mind your own business and watch the movie, you have as much right to be there as anyone else. In that respect, there's no difference between going to Frozen alone versus going to The Irishman (which certainly wouldn't have kids there) or any other movie alone.

Last edited:

ForgetMeNot

Auditioning
Real Name
Adam
28/M/Austin, TX here. Great to hear there are others out there like me!

I've seen Frozen four times in the last eight days and CANNOT wait to see Frozen 2. Really struggling to figure out if I should go (solo).

What do y'all think? How can I minimize the "creepy" factor if I do go?

Bro, did you even see Frozen? Anna teaches us one of the most valuable lessons from Frozen: never get rid of your quirkiness or zest for life. Although Anna went through difficult times, like losing her parents and having a difficult relationship with her sister, she never lost her spunk and ability to be quirky.

Go see Frozen 2, solo.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

Just don’t be a creep :)

I go to the movies more often solo than with a group. It’s an activity I enjoy. I think the movies are one of life’s great pleasures in part because it’s something one can do solo or with other people, and the experience is, or should be, fundamentally the same.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Just don’t be a creep.

Exactly. You should know if your own behavior is creepy or not. Just watch the movie, which is what you came there to do anyway.

I think the movies are one of life’s great pleasures in part because it’s something one can do solo or with other people, and the experience is, or should be, fundamentally the same.

I moved across the country a few years ago and don't see my friends from my hometown anymore. I'm better off here than I was there, so I'm not really upset about this, but I do miss being able to see them.

But movies are the same around the country. At least in terms of a wide release film that is available everywhere at the same time --- and sometimes with smaller ones too -- they can go to a movie and I can go to the same movie and then we can have an even discussion about that movie and know that we have experienced the same thing. It doesn't matter if I go alone here, because if they are also going and we can share the experience of discussing the film, even if we're not sitting next to each other while it's playing.

The same thing applies to all of us on this board. The Rise of Skywalker is the same movie in every state. Even though I don't know anyone local who has seen it because all my friends live elsewhere, I can come here and talk about it with all of you, because you've seen it, and that creates commonality regardless of where you live. We wouldn't be here on this board if it weren't for our shared love of movies. Most people here saw The Rise of Skywalker separately, but we all saw it, and now there is an open dialogue.

So...why does it matter if you go alone? You can still use the movie to connect with other people after seeing it.

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
28/M/Austin, TX here. Great to hear there are others out there like me!

I've seen Frozen four times in the last eight days and CANNOT wait to see Frozen 2. Really struggling to figure out if I should go (solo).

I saw the film solo. If you think you are going to be thought as "creepy" because there are kids in the theater then go to a late show. By that time there are few to no kids in there. When I went there were only a few adults, zero kids. Not that it would bother me to go when there are kids in the audience, I just prefer later shows where the theater will be less crowded and I will most likely be able to sit in my preferred location.

I went to another late showing on Boxing Day to see "Spies in Disguise" with my sister. Now, that was a bit odd, not because she was my sister, but mainly because my sister hasn't been in a movie theater in since "The Lord of The Rings" came out. All of a sudden she wanted to see "SiD" in the theater. Anyway, we were the only two in the theater room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sp2024
Recent bookmarks