What's new

Going to Movies Alone/Watching Animated Movies: Weird? (1 Viewer)

gruagach

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Henry
When I went to the movies, most of time I went alone. But that was almost 14 years ago. People talking during the film and pagers beeping ( I'm not sure if mobiles were prevalent then) drove me away.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I'll see anything alone or with family. I don't care. Weird looks? Bring it on! I wish I lived closer to mom and we'd probably go see something a few times a month. Would sure love that. I'm not getting any younger.

Used to, I'd go with my friends in the neighborhood. Some of my best movie experiences are with them or with my mom. But I don't have any friends right now. I need to change that. Somebody...be my friend...

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I think anyone who considers themself a serious movie person should be comfortable going aone to a theatre. I would have missed out on a lot of great movies when I was younger if I had an issue with that. I think that people who feel like movies are only a group activity aren't really serious about them, so they just see it as a social event. I tend to see most things with my wife these days, but some of my best movie experiences have been in semi-empty cinemas on weekday afternoons, where I can concentrate on the film without being distracted by a load of morons in the audience.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I remember seeing a film alone with a makeout couple in front of me the only ones there. Even though it was Clint Eastwood's Honky Tonk Man, I watched the movie, not couple.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Michael Elliott said:
This here probably is weird but when I was a teenager I knew by going to movies with my friends that I couldn't focus on the movie 100% so after school I'd go watch the movie by myself and then go back with my friends for the "hanging out" part.
When I was a teenager, tickets were around $2.50. . .

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Nothing wrong with going alone. I've done it many times. I have to admit through, there have been times when I was interested enough in seeing a movie to try to go with friends, but if no one bit I wasn't interested enough to go myself. Actually, when I lived in an area for a few years where I really didn't know anyone I did it quite a bit. Once I moved back to an area where I have more friends and family around, I find that I'm less likely to do it because I feel somehow like since the opportunity is technically there (there are people around I know I can theoretically go with) I'm less likely to go alone now and feel like I should make the effort to get my damn friends to go with me. But if it's something I REALLY want to see I'll definitely go myself if I don't have a date or any available friends. Plus, it's sometimes kind of annoying going on a "date" to the movies with someone new because they don't get how seriously I take it as an "experience" as far as getting there early and getting the best seats, and not talking, etc...When I had a date to see Gravity a few weeks back, I lied to the girl about the showtimes because I KNEW she'd be running late. So the extra 10 minutes padding I worked in did the trick. So, sometimes going alone you just don't have to deal with all that. Then again, I've always loved the "shared experience" aspect of movies. Using that last date as an example, having someone there to squeeze her hand during some of the more emotional moments was a nice bonding experience. So, company can sometimes add to the experience. Of course we both absolutely loved the movie, so that had more benefits "later". ;)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Maybe I'm just clueless, but I've gone to many a movie alone, animation included, and never once thought anyone would think it was odd. If they do, that's their tough luck.

I also enjoy having company, but not to talk with during the movie. That's after.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Yeah, when I go alone I could not care any less about what anyone else may or may not think.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
What's it to anyone else if you go to movies alone? I always have.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Nothing against people who see films as a group or a couple, but I'm on the far side of the moon where this is concerned. I always go to the movies alone, and the last time I saw a Pixar movie alone in a theater was TOY STORY in 1995, in what must have been a more innocent time since it didn't dawn on me it'd be thought of as something unusual. I too like a big receptive crowd, but nothing wrong with a crowd of individuals, along with glued to the hip attendees.

ponset

Screenwriter
Real Name
scott
Some times I go alone, other times I am with my Girlfriend.

I rather go alone because she likes to make comments during the movie and she asks me what a character just said because she missed it while talking. :angry:
Plus I always feel like EVERY ONE is listening in on what she says although she tries
to keep it at a whisper.
:eek:

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Sean Bryan said:
Plus, it's sometimes kind of annoying going on a "date" to the movies with someone new because they don't get how seriously I take it as an "experience" as far as getting there early and getting the best seats, and not talking, etc...
I go through a whole routine where I change seats three or four times trying to find the best one, i.e. one with a seat back that doesn't lean back so easily, so I usually wind up sitting in the last row. So I don't go with others very often. The last time I went with a date to see a movie was THE ARTIST and it was a single screen theater and I avoided my usual routine and wound up sitting in a seat that was sagging and it was extremely uncomfortable and I didn't say anything, even though I could have asked that we move and she would have understood and readily agreed.

But I go to movies roughly once or twice a month these days, usually alone but occasionally with my daughter. And it's usually on the spur of the moment so I don't have time to make plans with anyone else. And sometimes they're animated films, but not always for children, e.g. WOLF CHILDREN, FROM UP ON POPPY HILL and, this weekend, THE WIND RISES.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Sean Bryan said:
When I had a date to see Gravity a few weeks back, I lied to the girl about the showtimes because I KNEW she'd be running late. So the extra 10 minutes padding I worked in did the trick. So, sometimes going alone you just don't have to deal with all that.
Some of us always have to deal with that when we go alone. . .

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Aaron Silverman said:
Some of us always have to deal with that when we go alone. . .
Yeah, with all the dummies that show up late, after the lights are turned off, and stumble over everyone that arrived on time while trying to find seats in the dark.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Yeah, the whole bit of coming in late is just shocking to me. I'm really like Woody Allen's character in ANNIE HALL when he wants to leave because the opening credits have started. :lol:

You've got 15-20 minutes worth of trailers and I've seen people come in 30+ minutes into the movie. That means they're late nearly fifty-minutes from the listed start time and yet they have no problem with this. I remember watching THE PAPERBOY and some woman came in at least 40-minutes into the film. After the movie she went to the manager complaining that the movie made no sense. WTF???

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Malcolm R said:
Yeah, with all the dummies that show up late, after the lights are turned off, and stumble over everyone that arrived on time while trying to find seats in the dark.
Hey now!!!!!

The worst was when I saw La Femme Nikita in its original run. We missed the opening scene and walked in when she was strapped in a chair, being injected with something. It wasn't until years later that I saw the beginning. Man, did that ever change things! :)

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
Stephen Brooks said:
We should start a support group for people who like to go to movies alone.Maybe we could all catch a movie together! :lol:
When I went to see SPEED RACER I was alone in the theater until some jerk walked in, well after the movie had started, evidently in the midst of theater hopping, and he bounds up to the last row, where I was sitting, and sits two seats away from me. He then starts reacting to the movie as if he's old friends with it, laughing at the lame gags and shouting encouragement to the characters. The movie was already a terrible experience...he just made it worse!

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I used to go to the movies alone about 90% of the time, never cared what others thought, and no one ever looked at me "weird". Now that I have a steady female companion, I never go alone due to the fear of her wrath if she caught me going without her.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks