What's new

Going to Movies Alone/Watching Animated Movies: Weird? (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Richard V said:
I used to go to the movies alone about 90% of the time, never cared what others thought, and no one ever looked at me "weird". Now that I have a steady female companion, I never go alone due to the fear of her wrath if she caught me going without her.
Ugh - I was forced to see "English Patient" due to an angry (then)-girlfriend! She got mad that I went to see "Dante's Peak" (!) without her, so to make it up to her, I had to see "English Patient"... :wacko:

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
It a dark movie theater why anyone think people are looking at you because you are alone?I go alone all the time, I like movies on the big screen and not having some one to go with me when I have the time is not not going to stop me.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I go to 50 - 80 movies average a year and I go to 95% of them alone. I LOVE it. I've been doing this since elementary school, and I do not care what anyone thinks. Movie time is MY time. When I used to go with boyfriends, it was really distracting as they wanted to hold my hand or have me hold something. ^_^ One guy even smoked in the theater -- hard to pay attention when you think you're going to be kicked out any minute.

A couple of times over the years, I've had a "weirdo" sit next to me. But nothing I can't deal with.

I always go early and choose the exact seat I want. I have "my seat" in certain theaters and am bummed if someone beats me to it. Of course, sometimes as the theater fills up, I end up with a restless child or talkative person nearby and I have to change seats (even if the movie has started) if there's a decent alternative.

I was always independent as a child and while it may be judgmental, I find it very odd when certain friends "can't" go to a movie alone. Or eat out alone. Or go on a trip alone.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I very rarely go to the movies alone. I think this is because the conversation before and after (never during) the movie is as important to me as the movie itself. I find it very lonely walking out of the theater if there isn't anybody with me to discuss what was just seen. That being said, I certainly don't judge people who do enjoy going to the movies alone, nor do I find it particularly weird.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Michael Elliott said:
So, I was having a random conversation with a couple people today and was shocked to hear one guy (35+ years old) and one girl (25ish) say that they had never been to a movie alone in their life. Both appear to be casual movie fans but said they never go alone because they feel as if they get weird looks.
I'll ask the corollary: how do people feel about eating out, alone? I'll bet there's strong correlation. These are considered social activities, group activities, so doing them alone could be viewed as atypical and "weird".Business travel has innured me to anxiety over eating out alone. And I prefer to see movies with someone (my wife, usually). But I'll happily see it alone when it's a Must for me and of no interest to them (Pacific Rim).I don't know about this issue with "kids" movies. I've seen many movies by Pixar that are enjoyable by all ages. But I'm not familiar with their "kids"-specific films ;)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
I'll ask the corollary: how do people feel about eating out, alone? I'll bet there's strong correlation. These are considered social activities, group activities, so doing them alone could be viewed as atypical and "weird".Business travel has innured me to anxiety over eating out alone. And I prefer to see movies with someone (my wife, usually). But I'll happily see it alone when it's a Must for me and of no interest to them (Pacific Rim).I don't know about this issue with "kids" movies. I've seen many movies by Pixar that are enjoyable by all ages. But I'm not familiar with their "kids"-specific films ;)
I've, at times, thought that going out to dinner alone could be considered strange, especially when most people I see eating out are paired up; however, if I actually cared what people thought then I'd never eat out as I'm not attached and not looking to become attached. Frankly, people couldn't care less if a person attends a theatre or a restaurant by themselves. The idea that people are judging a person is more in the mind of the person who is alone, rather than any sort of reality.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Dave, I've never gone out to eat alone and I never would. I have gone to concerts alone though.

I also don't agree that it's in someone's mind as I think there are a lot of shallow people out there who would see someone sitting alone as being some sort of threat. Especially after various incidents that have happened by some "lonely" people.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm surprised by that. You may have a real "moral" conundrum if you get an Alamo Drafthouse-type theater that serves dinner with the movie :DMaybe I should ask if people would got to an art gallery alone or to a sporting event alone. I agree significantly with Edwin: we construct these false realities in our heads about how others view us. But in actuality, everyone is focused on themselves and pay us no attention. It's the essence of being self-conscious, but no one cares.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Colin Jacobson said:
Ugh - I was forced to see "English Patient" due to an angry (then)-girlfriend! She got mad that I went to see "Dante's Peak" (!) without her, so to make it up to her, I had to see "English Patient"... :wacko:
My condolences, been there.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
DaveF said:
I'm surprised by that. You may have a real "moral" conundrum if you get an Alamo Drafthouse-type theater that serves dinner with the movie :DMaybe I should ask if people would got to an art gallery alone or to a sporting event alone.I agree significantly with Edwin: we construct these false realities in our heads about how others view us. But in actuality, everyone is focused on themselves and pay us no attention. It's the essence of being self-conscious, but no one cares.
These days, everyone in New York is both alone and not alone. They're all by themselves but glued to the gadgets in their hands. Sometimes they're talking to the gadget, sometimes they're doing something else with it--texting? reading? looking for music? playing games? All of the above?

I never go to sports events, but I do go to art galleries, usually alone.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
DaveF said:
Maybe I should ask if people would got to an art gallery alone or to a sporting event alone.
I do, with both of them. It can be tough at times, but at the same time, if I kept waiting to find someone to go with, I would miss out on a lot of things. Besides, if past experience was any indication, the person was often disinterested and would rather be somewhere else (usually home) than what activity we were doing.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Walter C said:
I do, with both of them. It can be tough at times, but at the same time, if I kept waiting to find someone to go with, I would miss out on a lot of things. Besides, if past experience was any indication, the person was often disinterested and would rather be somewhere else (usually home) than what activity we were doing.
Absolutely agreed. I wouldn't go to a movie by myself for the longest time. I was really worried about what people would think of me. That all changed when I wanted to see the special edition of Alien in the theater a number of years ago. Now? If I have someone to go with, great for me. If not, I'm going anyway. I don't care what kind of movie it is: animated, drama, musical, action. If I want to see it, I'm going. Life is way too short to miss out on things you want to do if you by yourself.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
I love movies. I can watch them alone, with my kids, wife, with my friends... Not sure what's the problem?The thing is what you do before or after the movie. I don't really talk during the movie, so e.g. me and my friends go to eat before the movie and have a chat there. During the actual film we just stare at the screen, ya know. :)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Most people posting on home theater websites *care* about movies. The average person doesn't care the same way that we do; for them the actual movie is secondary to the social activity of "going to the movies," which if you think about it that way, would be a silly thing to do by yourself.

Real Name
Kyle
28/M/Austin, TX here. Great to hear there are others out there like me!

I've seen Frozen four times in the last eight days and CANNOT wait to see Frozen 2. Really struggling to figure out if I should go (solo).

What do y'all think? How can I minimize the "creepy" factor if I do go?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
28/M/Austin, TX here. Great to hear there are others out there like me!

I've seen Frozen four times in the last eight days and CANNOT wait to see Frozen 2. Really struggling to figure out if I should go (solo).

What do y'all think? How can I minimize the "creepy" factor if I do go?

Just go, Kyle. :D I was just like you at one point: I wouldn't do anything if I didn't have someone else to go with. That included grocery shopping, mall shopping, movies, concerts, dinner, etc. I quickly realized I was depriving myself of experiences...so I went.

I still remember my first solo movie:the re-release of Alien, October 31, 2013. I have the ticket stub.

I go to the movies every Thursday night alone: animation, horror, drama, comedy, sci fi and everything in between (including Wreck-It Ralph 2 last year, Frozen 2/Aladdin/Dumbo/Lion King this year). I go to Disney World and Disneyland alone. I bought a house and a car on my own. I have woken up to finding one of my dogs had passed on overnight alone.

Go Kyle. :)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Jeez. I’ve been going to the movies alone since The Poseidon Adventure in 1972. I was 9!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks