What's new

Fugitive comes to DVD in a 33 disc set on Nov. 1st 2011 (4 Viewers)

Walsh61

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garth Lough
Well let's remember that when Season Four was released they made no mention of the music being correct even though it was (except for some incidental music). From what I've heard from a reliable source the music from Season's Two and Three on this set won't be perfect, but it will be better than previous sets. I would guess the Capitol Library music is still missing from this set, but that more of the CBS cues will be put back in.
I know it's hard, but I would hold off pre-judging this set until the details come out. It sounds like they're trying to give the fans what they want so be patient.

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
HenryDuBrow said:
I'm pretty sure if the music thing is fixed now, they'll be mentioning that in the promotion for it from the get go.
I'd love to be sitting in that marketing meeting in their office when they decide how the ad guys are going to word that on the sales poster....
marketing person 1 - How about "newly improved audio"?
marketing person 2 - What about a "remastered and digital sound" logo?
marketing person 3 - I like "restored score for more authentic listening"!
...all advertising talk for "hey, you know the music we fu*ked-up almost beyond recognition? We've almost fixed it!!!"

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
I'm inclined to agree with Brad's insight regarding possible reasons for CBS withholding the information from their promotion, at least thus far. The last thing they need is to revive that public relations nightmare of irate customers demanding an account of their ignominious treatment of this series. It's entirely possible they will wait for reviews and word of mouth to spread the news of the music restoration and not have to directly deal with deserved customer backlash.

My best GUESS at this point is that given the title and price of the set, the music has been largely restored. CBS has a track record of forcing people to double dip for complete series sets, as they did by including exclusive and highly desirable extras on THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW and THE WILD WILD WEST. I speculated from the very beginning of the music substitution issue that they might pull this one out when it came time for the Complete Series release. I never bought any of the season sets for that very reason.

Of course, it is just a guess and subject to the same liabilities of any guesses!SUBMIT

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If Paramount fixes the music, I assume they'll let me trade-in my edited copies for the corrected ones. I think both of those scenarios have about zero chance of happening.
However, if they do fix the music, I'll give $150 (or whatever the set costs) to charity before I send it to Paramount for fixing what shouldn't have been broken in the first place.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I hope the optimists are right about this one (music restored as in the S1 sets).

Travis, that's a good point. Unless this show is on one's holy grail list, it will be a tough choice to double-dip or to take a chance on the music question without some advance detailed info from TSoD or waiting for someone here to purchase and report the music status.

Dave mentioned in his TSoD post that he is asking for additional info about the music question so hopefully as the release date gets closer, we'll see another post from Dave soon.

Dave, if you check in here, could you ask CBS (about the S2/3 sets within the box set), if the backscore will be restored as in the oirignal S1 vol releases?

Some consider the Rugolo portion of this series as sufficient restoration (ie, no "Heyes" backscore), and that's ok; their stance on it. However, there are some here that don't consider that to be adequate for this series. We consider the restoration issue to require the Rugolo music as well as all CBS library que's restored, to match the S1 releases, to be what is required before purchasing the box set.

The few Capital Music que's are probably a lost cause at this point but those que's consist of a very small portion of the backscore in the series.

Just me here, but it's (S2 & 3) got to be restored like S1 before I'll get this box set. Rugolo restoration alone won't get me to purchase it.

flynn2000

Auditioning
Real Name
Todd Thompson
Even if they reinstate music back into season's two and three, won't they have to cut out some of the season one music?
I guess we all still have our original season one boxes if this comes to pass.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
While I am a fan of complete series sets, I don't know about this one. I bought all eight volumes in the series, watched them over the last 3 or 4 years and just finished. Of course I want the original music like everyone else, but can I justify the high price tag of this set just for that? Will I be able to sell the original volumes? Too much to worry about.

What's on the CD bonus disc? Does anyone know?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
TravisR said:
However, if they do fix the music, I'll give $150 (or whatever the set costs) to charity before I send it to Paramount for fixing what shouldn't have been broken in the first place.
I too would not send another penny to Paramount. In my case, I spent half that amount to acquire the entire series (with all music in its unedited form) a few years ago from another distributor. The set is fine, the packaging is excellent, and the music is just the way it should be. I honestly can't imagine being a hardcore Fugitive fan and having to endure this. I think of TOS, and cringe when I think of what could have occurred with that (or any other beloved) series.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Ockeghem said:
I too would not send another penny to Paramount. In my case, I spent half that amount to acquire the entire series (with all music in its unedited form) a few years ago from another distributor. The set is fine, the packaging is excellent, and the music is just the way it should be. I honestly can't imagine being a hardcore Fugitive fan and having to endure this. I think of TOS, and cringe when I think of what could have occurred with that (or any other beloved) series.
The set from your other distributor can't be in the quality this would be. I will buy if the music issue is resolved but I'm not as optimistic. Keep tuned. Anyone think one of the extras might be the pilot episode? That should be included and should have been on one of the original half season sets.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
I guess the main reason for my somewhat optimistic guess is that I just can't figure out who they are trying to market this to if it's the same releases? Dismiss those who already bought it, dismiss the fans who won't buy it because of the edits and you are left with casual fans and impulse buyers who have almost certainly picked up the seasonal volumes at discount prices by now. Three volumes even turned up at Big Lots for ten bucks each. The series sets for ANDY GRIFFITH and WILD WILD WEST came out when the individual seasons were still commanding relatively high prices, but this set arrives at the twilight of DVDs.
So if they are the same releases who do they think wants this now? Does CBS/Para actually think ANYONE will shell out their asking price just to get a bonus disc and a CD?

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Studios have dones similar type of releases with shows, like married with children, a-team, knight rider, etc. I have not bought the individual sets and have pre-order the complete series. I had other purchased when the fugitive came out that i was unable to pick up the show until now. I am looking forward to this set as my buddy, who recently passed on never got to see the final episode. So, i want to watch the final episode and have a molson dry to salute my buddy!!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Quote:
Professor Echo said:
/t/313960/fugitive-comes-to-dvd-in-a-33-disc-set-on-nov-1st/60#post_3843407
Studios have dones similar type of releases with shows, like married with children, a-team, knight rider, etc. I have not bought the individual sets and have pre-order the complete series. I had other purchased when the fugitive came out that i was unable to pick up the show until now. I am looking forward to this set as my buddy, who recently passed on never got to see the final episode. So, i want to watch the final episode and have a molson dry to salute my buddy!!
That's a good strategy, waiting on the series sets. I waited for the Knight Rider complete set but double-dip'ed on the A-Team's (to get the single-sided box set discs). But I got Amazon "lightning deals" on both sets which helped the wallet. That's another one I owe Gary :), I was on the fence with Knight Rider. Enjoying that set now.

Fugitive: I've also not yet seen the 2-parter finale. Mom and I are watching the series weekly and we're in the early part of S4 now.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
stevelecher said:
The set from your other distributor can't be in the quality this would be.
This is possibly true, but the quality is still excellent. And for me, I'd trade quality in order to have the music intact. As a musicologist, music is one of the most important things to me for a variety of reasons.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
FWIW, Amazon is listing this for about $168. Not sure if that influences anyone's feelings about it. Doesn't change anything for me.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Ockeghem said:
This is possibly true, but the quality is still excellent. And for me, I'd trade quality in order to have the music intact. As a musicologist, music is one of the most important things to me for a variety of reasons.
I'm with you. I cannot watch the mangled episodes of seasons 2 and 3 from CBS. Lucky I have my A&E videotapes from the 90's.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Steve,
Your comment about the A&E videotapes from the 90's reminded me of something which is somewhat related. I almost purchased the laser disc format for the original series The Outer Limits, because the single-sided DVD discs were not working for me. But then, a poster on this Board mentioned that there were some United Kingdom releases of the series on single-sided discs, which I purchased. :)

JLKINSER

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Kinser
Amazon has now raised the price to 178.00. Walmart online has it for 138.00. I spoke with Amazon via chat about the price differance and they would not match the Walmart price.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLKINSER /t/313960/fugitive-comes-to-dvd-in-a-33-disc-set-on-nov-1st/60#post_3844901
Amazon has now raised the price to 178.00. Walmart online has it for 138.00. I spoke with Amazon via chat about the price differance and they would not match the Walmart price.
That price is getting in my range. I checked Walmart.com and it's showing up at 134.96 pre-order price here. Tempting but I'll wait for the answer about the music issues.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Willis /t/313960/fugitive-comes-to-dvd-in-a-33-disc-set-on-nov-1st/60#post_3844926
Tempting but I'll wait for the answer about the music issues.
Agreed. I saw that price quote earlier and thought the exact same thing, Jeff. I'm just going to have to wait until we get a report on the set that we can trust concerning the music issue. That probably won't come until the set is released, unless a reviewer that really knows their stuff gets it early and posts an online review with specifics about the music. Even then I'll be doing all I can to make sure the person knows what they are talking about before I order the set for any price. But the Walmart price is closer to what I'd be willing to pay. Since I'd really only be buying this mega set in order to get Seasons 2 & 3 as replacements (assuming the CBS cues were restored - something that's still only a faint hope), and the bonus CD, I'm not keen on paying too much.

Gary "if the studio did NOT restore the CBS cues they own to S2 and S3 then I'm not sure who they think they are targeting with this mega set" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.