Fugitive comes to DVD in a 33 disc set on Nov. 1st 2011

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Doug Wallen, Aug 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Jack Cleveland

Jack Cleveland Second Unit

I only have the first season, and if the correct music is in this complete set, count me in for another purchase.... Here's hoping!

2. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    There are a couple of items to consider here, music-wise. The Rugolo cues were released, as we all know, from Silva-Screen Records back in the early part of the 2000s. This new, bonus CD likely contains all of that material, plus what? The 2000 soundtrack CD totals 47:18, so there's room for 23+ minutes more to take the total up to 70:00. Will there be more of the Rugolo cues? Possibly so, probably not. CBS owns all of this music, and KNOW that they own it, so its inclusion is a given.

How about some TWILIGHT ZONE music? The Goldsmith score for "Back There" was used a lot in THE FUGITIVE, along with some other TZ cues. CBS owns this stuff too.

And what about Dominic Frontiere? His interviews were included on the S4 DVD's as if he actually composed stuff for THE FUGITIVE, when in fact all that was really done was that they ported over some OUTER LIMITS cues. Those OL cues were "under license from Dominic Frontiere" himself on the recent La-La Land Records release, but we all wondered why in the world Mr. Frontiere got special treatment on the S4 DVD releases. Perhaps putting some of his stuff on a bonus CD is part of whatever deal he agreed to?

Or, this new CD could go the route of some other television soundtracks and simply place sound from the actual program onto CDs, like the first season narration, two versions, and the subsequent narration in S2-S4. Or even some 'music + dialog' tracks of some key moments in the series. I personally don't care for those, but there may be others who would be thrilled with something like that.

Harry
    ...just some rambling thoughts, online...

3. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Whoa!! Amazon has the set up for pre-order and they are listing the MSRP at $242.99. Their discount brings it down to $169.99, but that's just way too much money for this set. At that price they had better have the original music restored. If they don't, I'm not sure they'll be getting too many customers at that steep a price.

Gary "I honestly didn't think they'd set the price that high" O.

4. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    Let's look at the math:

Breaking it down, there were eight original half-season sets, all at the original suggested retail price of $39.99. 8 times $39.99 works out to $319.92, so the $242.99 seems a bargain in that sense.

The half-season sets were commonly sold between $25 and $30 when new. $242.99 divided by 8 works out to $30.37 list, just slightly above what the initial sets commonly sold for.

Amazon's initial price for the mega-set is $169.99, which divided by 8 works out to $21.25. Currently, the half-season sets sell on Amazon for anywhere between $20 and $31, so this is not an outrageous price, nor is it any kind of 'buying-in-bulk' bargain.

This is just the raw numbers and doesn't take into account the fact that this set claims some extras, nor does it take into account anything about the music, one way or the other, since nothing is yet known for sure.

Harry

5. ToddR2

ToddR2 Stunt Coordinator

Todd Rutherford
    I'm trying to channel some of Danny's optimism, and hope that there is a "secret code" in the subtitle of this release ("The Most-Wanted Edition"). Otherwise, this will be a worthless product (except to Paramount), and we'll still have only half of this series seeing a proper release. Since there are Paramount employees who monitor this site from time to time, perhaps one of them will deign to share some info regarding this release with us peons at some point. Or not.:huh:

6. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Quote:

I get the numbers, Harry. I really do and I had calculated that before I even posted. Yes, according to how CBS/P was pricing the half-season sets this does seem better. But I felt that at a MSRP price that translates to over $60 per season that's just asking too much. Most people agree the split season model is just a way for the studio to milk more money from the fans, so I refused to judge the pricing of this set on that model. But to each his own.

Gary "just the way I see it" O.

7. Qrusher14242

Qrusher14242 Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, that it just way too much. Maybe an MSRP of $200. Unless the music is restored, i wont touch this set.

8. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

Quote:

Ditto. If the backscore substitutions are fixed with S2-3 in this set, this series would be the only one that I'd do the double-dip dance. If not (S2-3 music the same as the previously-released sets), I already have the CBS half-season sets and for me, the CD and any extras aren't enough for me to double-dip, even for the Fugitive series.

9. jdee28

jdee28 Screenwriter

John
    Hopefully CBS/Paramount will finally rectify the biggest fiasco in the history of TV shows on dvd and release this show with the original score intact. Given their track record though, I highly doubt it. Thanks to them, we're probably going to have to live with the bastardized version of The Fugitive forever, not only on DVD but on television as well, as stations looking to air this show in HD will use the HD masters which evidently only have the butchered version of the scores. Probably the same will hold for streaming; they'll use the HD ruined versions. No one is going to go back and restore the original music; no one other than CBS/Paramount has the means or the will to go to the expense. It's such a travesty, especially considering the fact that all this didn't have to be done. Congratulations CBS/Paramount; you only ruined one of the greatest shows ever made, needlessly at that; quite a legacy.

10. younger1968

younger1968 Cinematographer

paul young
    This is great news the complete series is coming out. I have it on my agenda to purchase. I just hope the pricing is reasonable. I like to watch the final episode as tribute to my recent deceased friend, who told me he never seen the last episode.

11. LeoA

LeoA Screenwriter

Leo
    Considering myself and many others were able to get a good bit of the show's run on DVD last year at Big Lots for about $5 a set, it really makes this pricing seem too high.

12. HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow Screenwriter

Henry.
    If everything's brought back to original they're counting on us to buy it all again; money, money, money. I know Paramount's given us a lot of great product over the years, and we're all grateful for it, but if this is a tactic of release (rescoring then restoring) it's kind of low actually and of much greater concern than their infamous split volumes policy. I doubt I'm going to purchase it myself even if restored, I'm a Janssen fan but not a diehard Fugitive fan, so the extras/new features will decide for me.

13. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Quote:

I just tried to picture what a double-dip dance might look like, Jeff. Can you illustrate it for me?

Gary "just kidding, buddy" O.

14. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

Quote:

I'm out of practice with that step , it's rarely done with me.

We'll hope for the best with the music question. Maybe Neil will be right (miracle). I hope so. Anything's possible in this hobby.

15. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Quote:

Nice reply, Jeff. I'm out of practice with that step as well. And if we do see the majority of the original music restored then I'd actually be willing to pay the retail price. At this point that's the singular issue for me with this release. IF the music is back I'll buy it. IF not, I won't.

Gary "miracles do happen, so I'll hold out hope as well" O.

16. HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow Screenwriter

Henry.
    That's what they hope or want fans to do, of course. I imagine this could contain some changes for the better and a few extras, just enough for some to play the game and purchase anew. Then some time after, along comes a Blu-ray with everything corrected back to original state so we can buy it all over again. A clever franchise and last drop milking, it's a business afterall.

17. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson Screenwriter

I'm shocked -- shocked! -- to hear there is franching milking going on! Welcome to Casablanca!

18. Clugul

Clugul Agent

Joyce
    Here's some info from the administrators of Barry Morse's website regarding the bonus DVD on the forthcoming box set:
    To All:
    We have been following the varied comments on the list concerning the upcoming box set release, and while we don't know about everything that is to be included on the bonus disk - we are able to report that CBS has worked closely with the Morse Estate to ensure that Barry Morse is represented in the extras. The Estate, as well as the co-authors of the Barry Morse theatrical memoir "Remember with Advantages" (Robert E. Wood and Anthony Wynn) have been pleased with the time and effort spent on this project. I hope you won't pre-judge the product before you have the chance to watch it.
    That's about all we can say right now, except that we are looking forward to this release on November 1st!
    Many thanks,
    Anthony Wynn & Robert E. Wood
    Co-Authors/Archivists
    -----------------
    Just FYI, I found the above on the Yahoo Fugitive group forum,
    Joyce

19. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

If this were Star Trek, maybe. An 'all original music' Blu-Ray release (or any Blu-Ray release) of this series is, I'm afraid, only a pipe dream. I'll believe in a '60s Fugitive release when I see a squadron of pigs flying over the house.

20. Clugul

Clugul Agent

Joyce
    Along with my previous post (#38) about the inclusion of Barry Morse material in the bonus DVD, comes this latest news from the administrator of The David Janssen Archive:
    Fellow Fugitives:
    To reinforce what has already been stated by Mr. Wynn and Mr. Wood, the David Janssen Archive www.davidjanssen.net has too worked closely with CBS to create a very special component on the Bonus disk. The care and attention to detail as has been exhibited by our CBS liaison indicates quite clearly that they care—and are interested in delivering a great product to conclude this release. The music woes of the past were certainly unfortunate and the outcry of criticism was heard. I do believe CBS wants to make amends and do something very special here.
    We here were not privy to details about the forthcoming music status. But we can tell you, as fellow enthusiasts of the series, our unique contribution is probably on many of your wish lists of bonus content possibilities.
    November 1 is right around the corner and I’m sure there will be more details released in the weeks prior. Sorry not to further clarify the speculation which is abound, but we do not want to eclipse CBS’ timetable of formal announcements.
    “drkimble”