What's new

Fugitive comes to DVD in a 33 disc set on Nov. 1st 2011 (3 Viewers)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I agree that Paul Mavis not noticing the music change was very strange for someone familiar with the show. No way to get around that one. It's indefensible in terms of calling yourself a "fanatic" of the show. I just think, in reading the other site's forum at the time, that Paul took too much heat. He was receiving hate mail, nasty emails, even threats against his family over this. And I think we can all agree that that was way over the top. In fact a forum regular here, Bob Hug, went to that other site and after quoting Mr. Mavis saying how he had been getting threatening and harassing emails over the this issue, wrote the following statement which I think bears repeating here. Bob Hug said:

That's just wrong on so many levels and, with respect to threatening e-mails, may even be illegal. It's really disheartening to hear that one man's appraisal of this DVD release could result in so much venom being directed at him. If you honestly disagree with what he has to say, you can do so in a forum like this, but please, folks, keep it civil.
Mr. Mavis is a reviewer whom I've come to greatly appreciate over the last several years, especially as it pertains to vintage TV-on-DVD releases; in that regard, I've found him to be among the very best writers covering this area in a thoughtful and in-depth manner that few other reviewers can match, not only for the great number of reviews that he has written but, more importantly, for the quality of his reviews (if you want to read a truly great in-depth review, I suggest that you read his assessment of Shout! Factory's release of "The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet" last year . . . . hands down the best review of a vintage TV show I've ever had the pleasure to read). For those that say "he should of known about the music changes," all I can say is "no one's perfect." Would another reviewer here at DVD Talk have noticed them? Perhaps. But if you do read the few reviews of this DVD release on the web, it appears that other reviewers have missed it as well. As Mr. Mavis has stated in his above post "If you don't like the opinion, don't read my stuff. It truly is that simple." I'd actually take that one step further, if you don't like what CBS Paramount has done with this DVD release, don't buy it!

That kinda sums up my feelings on the matter and I'll leave it at that. Heck, we are talking about something that happened several years ago and I'd like to think sane people can let that type of stuff go after years pass. I know that's how I try to live my life.

Gary "no offense toward anyone - I think everyone here is a good 'Joe' and I always appreciate different perspectives" O.

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
Wow- I never knew the situation with Paul ever got this intense. Full disclosure- we've exchanged several emails about other TV series and his reviews - I even sent him an email chiding him for his low star rating on one of the Patty Duke Show DVD sets - and he responded, "You know, you're right!" and went back and raised the rating. So I have found him anything but intractable.
Look - I don't post here very often, but I have the same enthusiasm for this hobby as the rest of you. I have hundreds of TV on DVD sets, and rarely does a day go by that I don't pull a few down off the shelves and enjoy 2-3 episodes. I'm happier with some sets than others, and I understand the frustration when a favorite show hits DVD in a manner that is less than satisfying. But to ever get so angry at a reviewer for knowing less than you about a particular issue, or having the nerve to still like a product than you might think is an abomination - I just don't get that kind of intense response.
I wish all the Fugitive music was intact. I wish they didn't leave the tag scene off the Partridge Family episode with Bobby Sherman. I wish they didn't hack and slash WKRP to such an extent that I passed on buying a show I used to love. I wish Shout didn't dump Room 222 - but the moment any of this stuff makes someone angry enough to threaten another person - that's when it's time to find a new hobby.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Some great posts from David and Gary above; thanks for putting all in perspective guys.

Regarding the Fugitive, any additional word on what, if any, corrections are being made to the soundtrack of this release? With a 11/1 date the sets are likely already manufactured and waiting in a warehouse as we speak. CBS/P has been very quiet on this issue as has been noted.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Originally Posted by Steve...O /t/313960/fugitive-comes-to-dvd-in-a-33-disc-set-on-nov-1st/90#post_3851458
Some great posts from David and Gary above; thanks for putting all in perspective guys.

Regarding the Fugitive, any additional word on what, if any, corrections are being made to the soundtrack of this release? With a 11/1 date the sets are likely already manufactured and waiting in a warehouse as we speak. CBS/P has been very quiet on this issue as has been noted.
Steve, I've only gotten murky, non-specific info that "some of the music was changed [back to the original score]", and as you know, that's not much to go on. It could be any thing. So I'm personally going to have to wait for a solid review that addresses the music issues in Seasons 2 & 3 before I fork over that much money. I'm hoping for the best and that we get all the original music, sans a scant few seconds of Capitol Library music per episode. The amount of music that CBS/P needed to be worried about is so minimal when compared to the music they did own it's really staggaring they went to the trouble they did with the Heyes substituted music. It was major overkill all the way around. As long as the cues CBS actually own are placed back into the episodes (all the CBS Library cues) then I'll pony up and buy this set. But if CBS didn't do a good job and still leave half the episodes a "bloody mess" (in terms of mixtures of old and new music) then it will be a no sale for me.

Gary "I know for an absolute fact it can be done correctly, for almost no money at all, if CBS/Paramount just reach out to local fans right there in Burbank who know the music inside and out" O.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
For what it's worth, FUGITIVE fans, our beloved David Janssen series will be getting a run on a "national network" - MeTV. For those who don't know, MeTV is a network of classic TV shows that is showing up in a lot of markets on digital broadcast subchannels, and starting next week, the network will reach some 60% of the country as it expands into some new markets.

THE FUGITIVE will get a weekly airing at 12 midnight, Sunday evenings following THRILLER and the hour-long TWILIGHT ZONE, starting October 2nd. Amusingly, in their online schedule:

http://metvnetwork.com/schedule.php?date=10/02/2011

...first up is "Fear In A Dessert City". I wonder what's for dessert? :)

Harry

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Most likely, they will be the ones with the god-awful Heyes/Braverman substitutions.
I remember someone complaining about said music substitutions occurring in recent syndicated reruns a few years back.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Harry-N said:
... starting next week, the network will reach some 60% of the country as it expands into some new markets
Do you have a link to any article that might mention which TV stations and markets are set to start Me-TV affiliations next week? I've not seen anything about any new stations other than a vague item from April about Wiegel signing contracts with certain broadcast conglomerates.
Naturally, I live in an are where I cannot receive rooftop reception of any classic programming networks (no RTV, AntennaTV or Me-TV) unless it's a freak of weather conditions (and with HDTVs--well, at least mine--you can't just flip the dial to see if an out of town station is coming in, you have to have the TV 're-scan' the entire broadcast spectrum. Stupid!).

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Looks like some very good times indeed are ahead for Janssen fans; this hopefully excellent Fugivite box-set, a remastered release of the movie Ring of Fire (1961) from WAC coming up, and most important of all finally confirming the Harry O TV show is coming soon. I'm truthfully a happy camper now.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by HenryDuBrow /t/313960/fugitive-comes-to-dvd-in-a-33-disc-set-on-nov-1st/90#post_3853463
Looks like some very good times indeed are ahead for Janssen fans; this hopefully excellent Fugivite box-set, a remastered release of the movie Ring of Fire (1961) from WAC coming up, and most important of all finally confirming the Harry O TV show is coming soon. I'm truthfully a happy camper now.
Link, please? I'm talking about for the "Ring of Fire" and "Harry O" news you mentioned.

Gary "great news" O.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Gary OS said:
    Quote:

Link, please?  I'm talking about for the "Ring of Fire" and "Harry O" news you mentioned.  Gary "great news" O.
It's on their Facebook comment page, I totally missed this vital piece of news myself until now, but you'll have to scroll all the way down to July 4 to find it. The movie annoucement's there too, somewhere higher up.http://www.facebook.com/warnerarchive?sk=wall&filter=12

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Am I missing the obvious? There is no July 4 entry at all, and the surrounding ones don't mention Harry O.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
You have to go all the way back to July entries, click more posts and continue on. The Ring of Fire news is June 18 & 22.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Yes, it goes from a post on July 1 to a post on July 5, neither of which mentions Harry O. Has it been removed?

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
It's a very odd order they have, I just saw it there hours ago. Check this page and see the question.
http://www.facebook.com/warnerarchive/posts/10150300175216563

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
The one thing I wish there was an answer to (but sadly, I don't think there will be one) is what does Pete Rugolo think of the Braverman/Heyes substitutions that has plagued most of the episodes on the DVDs? He can't honestly say he prefers them to the originals.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
AndyMcKinney said:
Do you have a link to any article that might mention which TV stations and markets are set to start Me-TV affiliations next week? I've not seen anything about any new stations other than a vague item from April about Wiegel signing contracts with certain broadcast conglomerates.
Naturally, I live in an are where I cannot receive rooftop reception of any classic programming networks (no RTV, AntennaTV or Me-TV) unless it's a freak of weather conditions (and with HDTVs--well, at least mine--you can't just flip the dial to see if an out of town station is coming in, you have to have the TV 're-scan' the entire broadcast spectrum. Stupid!).
http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2011/09/06/me-tv-announces-significant-market-affiliate-agreements-including-san-diego-las-vegas-st-louis-and-minneapolis-st-paul-665413/20110906metv01/

westumulka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wes Tumulka
Alternatively, there is also this handy map showing the areas:
http://metvnetwork.com/wherewatch.php
I also live in an area where rooftop reception of television is not possible. Fortunately the cable provider recently added Me-TV and have been enjoying the channel over the past few weeks.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry-N /t/313960/fugitive-comes-to-dvd-in-a-33-disc-set-on-nov-1st/90#post_3853132
For what it's worth, FUGITIVE fans, our beloved David Janssen series will be getting a run on a "national network" - MeTV. For those who don't know, MeTV is a network of classic TV shows that is showing up in a lot of markets on digital broadcast subchannels, and starting next week, the network will reach some 60% of the country as it expands into some new markets.

I've said it before, but I'm going to reiterate something. Until one of these retro channels can strike a deal to go national with a satellite service like Direct TV or Dish, this kind of news is useless to me and multitudes of other people. It's frustrating, to say the least.

Gary "great schedule, but too limited in spite of the 60% penetration claim" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.