What's new

Fugitive comes to DVD in a 33 disc set on Nov. 1st 2011 (1 Viewer)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Gary OS said:
  Gary "if the studio did NOT restore the CBS cues they own to S2 and S3 then I'm not sure who they think they are targeting with this mega set" O.
To casual viewers/fans who did not buy the individual sets, but might buy the whole lot in one go, or to people to use for gift-giving for that TV junkie family member.
I'll be totally surprised if the studio does any content changes from the individual sets. The only thing I'm not sure about is which version of S2 V1 they'll use: the better (but not perfect) mail-away version, or the retail one with the larger amount of replaced music. I'd be hoping for the former, but since they went on record previously saying it would only be available by mail and only for a limited time, I'm not 100% sure.
It's unheard or (or maybe just almost unheard of) for a studio to go back and make widespread corrections/fixes on a complete series collection of something they previously released individually. Almost always, it's just the same content in newer/smaller packaging, with separate bonus disc(s), if any bonuses are included at all.
So it's pretty safe to assume this is just a repackage with a bonus disc, but which version of S2 V1 they'd use is still a mystery.
If they were going to restore all the music cues, you could almost bet they'd be trumpeting this loud and clear in the press release so that there'd be more double-dipping, especially given all the negative publicity they got for the replaced music.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I hear you Andy. And what you said in your last paragraph makes all the sense in the world to me, but... I'm still hoping there will be some music changes (for the better). We'll all have to just wait and see.

Gary "usually I'm pretty pessimistic with stuff like this - but I think there's a good chance positive music changes have been made for this set" O.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
AndyMcKinney said:
It's unheard or (or maybe just almost unheard of) for a studio to go back and make widespread corrections/fixes on a complete series collection of something they previously released individually. Almost always, it's just the same content in newer/smaller packaging, with separate bonus disc(s), if any bonuses are included at all.
CBS/Paramount did release the complete box set of I Love Lucy with a newly remastered Season 1, which they later made available individually, so there's precedent of them going back and fixing something for a complete series release. But is was I Love Lucy; I'm not sure they consider The Fugitive to be on the same level.
I think they will do some tweaking to the music track of Seasons 2 and 3, probably just enough to interest some folks into double dipping, but probably not enough to satisfy those who want the show with its original music track. That's just the maddening way that CBS/Paramount is.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdee28 /t/313960/fugitive-comes-to-dvd-in-a-33-disc-set-on-nov-1st/60#post_3845564
I think they will do some tweaking to the music track of Seasons 2 and 3, probably just enough to interest some folks into double dipping, but probably not enough to satisfy those who want the show with its original music track. That's just the maddening way that CBS/Paramount is.
Bingo, John! That's exactly what I'm expecting. Some tweaking, but also still missing some CBS cues that the studio could have included had they really cared to do it right. I hope they prove me wrong and have actually reinserted all the CBS Library cues, which would mean we'd have, on average, a good 95% of the original music in each episode. But I'm not holding my breath for it to be that good.

Gary "I'll wait for a detailed review before I do anything" O.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
jdee28 said:
CBS/Paramount did release the complete box set of I Love Lucy with a newly remastered Season 1, which they later made available individually, so there's precedent of them going back and fixing something for a complete series release. But is was I Love Lucy; I'm not sure they consider The Fugitive to be on the same level.
How can you tell the newly remastered Season 1. I wondered if they made it available individually, but I have never seen anything about it?

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
JoeDoakes said:
How can you tell the newly remastered Season 1. I wondered if they made it available individually, but I have never seen anything about it?
Actually, I take that back; looking on Amazon, apparently they never did make the newly remastered Season 1 of I Love Lucy available individually :(

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
All of the negative publicity of the original releases kept me from buying them, but a "fixed" complete set would entice me to buy if the pricing is good. Like others, I will be waiting for Paul Mavis and other respected writers to weigh in with their reviews. Danny's cryptic comment about miracles sometimes happening does give optimism that this might be done right. He's very well connected and knowlegeable about these kinds of things.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
jdee28 said:
Yep, my words too all along, likely a good chance that's the way they'll do it.

ToddR2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd Rutherford
Steve...O said:
Like others, I will be waiting for Paul Mavis and other respected writers to weigh in with their reviews.
Steve, please tell me you're joking here. If you're serious, then this must be the most unintentionally hilarious comment of the year on this forum.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by ToddR2 /t/313960/fugitive-comes-to-dvd-in-a-33-disc-set-on-nov-1st/60#post_3846280
Steve, please tell me you're joking here. If you're serious, then this must be the most unintentionally hilarious comment of the year on this forum.
Todd, if you are insinuating that Steve's post is hilarious because he classifies Paul Mavis as a trusted reviewer then I think it's your post that's unintentionally funny. Paul Mavis is the best reviewer of Classic TV on DVD, bar none, on the net. He does a phenomenal job and while he might not possess all knowledge as it concerns the Fugitive music issue, that doesn't disqualify him as a first rate reviewer in my book.

Gary "maybe I'm reading you wrong, Todd... but if not then I don't understand the shot you just took at Steve and Mr. Mavis" O.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
While they might perhaps do some tweaking to season 2 and 3, I'm all but sure they're going to do some significant work to season 1.
Season 1 was more or less intact. I assume with all their copyright violation fears they dreamt up in regards to some assets since the merger that they're going to be going back to season 1 and clearing any potential issues by replacing anything they're remotely unsure about.
So I hope if someone wants to be the guinea pig here and test this thing out for the rest of us that they remember to give a look to season 1 and not just assume it's okay because the standalone releases of it were.
It's going to be where the most changes from the standalone sets or replacement disc have been done (And not for the better), I predict.

ToddR2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd Rutherford
Gary OS said:
     Quote:

Todd, if you are insinuating that Steve's post is hilarious because he classifies Paul Mavis as a trusted reviewer then I think it's your post that's unintentionally funny.  Paul Mavis is the best reviewer of Classic TV on DVD, bar none, on the net.  He does a phenomenal job and while he might not possess all knowledge as it concerns the Fugitive music issue, that doesn't disqualify him as a first rate reviewer in my book.  Gary "maybe I'm reading you wrong, Todd... but if not then I don't understand the shot you just took at Steve and Mr. Mavis" O.
Gary, that's exactly what I'm insinuating. We might not share the same opinion of Mr. Mavis' reviews, which is fine. However, you have rather seriously mis-stated the issues regarding his reviews of The Fugitive (Specifically S2, V1). Perhaps you might pause to review/recall the issues that many posters pointed out regarding his review and his actions subsequent to the review before you are so quick to defend Mr. Mavis. It might help you understand a bit better.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Todd, I remember the situation well and that's why I specifically mentioned that Mr. Mavis is clearly not anything close to an expert on the music of The Fugitive. He even admitted as much. He stated his opinion at the time and I'm fine with that even though it's about the only time I can think of with a review of his where I disagreed with his take on it. But that doesn't, in my mind, make him some laughable reviewer. Not at all. His work stands strong when it comes to Classic TV as far as I'm concerned (and I know I'm not alone in that opinion). Yes, I'd admittedly look to someone else other than Mr. Mavis for specifics about Fugitive music because, by his own admission, he's not an expert. But I just felt you were throwing the baby out with the bathwater and taking an unnecessary shot at both Steve and Mr. Mavis. Perhaps you didn't mean to come off so sarcastic. It just seemed a bit much to me.

Gary "just the way I see it" O.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
No offense taken at Todd's comments at all. I can see exactly where he's coming from.

I do like Paul's reviews and find them trustworthy on the whole. It is because of the comments from Gary and others that I became aware of him and now seek out his comments.

He (and others like him) have a thankless job because he can write a very detailed and thoughtful review and still get crucified by mega-fans of a particular show (not necessarily the Fugitive) because they disagree with one of his opinions or because of a relatively minor misstatement. We all make mistakes and I'd prefer that others forgive me for an occasional misstep and so I'm more than willing to grant others the same consideration. In Paul's case, the plusses far outweigh the minuses and he does have an impressive depth of knowledge coupled with an enjoyable writing style.

Truth be told though, some of the best reviewers are here on HTF, both in an official and unofficial capacity. That was the "and others" I referred to earlier.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
One thing he does that I like is he provides an ample amount of screenshots and spends a good bit of time doing more than just providing a summary of the program for the uninitiated. Far too many reviewers, including some of his peers at that site, fall into that pit and don't ever get to actually reviewing a product since they're so busy writing an essay summarizing a decades old television program that most of their readers have been familiar with for years.
He actually spends more than two sentences at the end of a review talking about things like the transfer quality and other important issues, and actually provides some insight. Those areas put him well above his peers, in my opinion. Surprised to not see more reviewers, especially at DVDTalk, trying to emulate his style.
If he just didn't state he thinks the endings for Adam-12 and Emergency! are cut off everytime he reviews one of those releases, despite many fans having contacted him to disagree (Something he ask for in his reviews, but doesn't seem too appreciative of actually recieving), I'd have trouble finding any fault with what he does.
His style is the cream of the crop and his taste align well with my own. His reviews are hard to beat, even if I have criticized him from time to time. But that's only because I actually find his work valuable and read it, where as few other reviewers have given me a reason to ever come back a second time to read their work.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Steve, if you are OK with it then so am I. While I'm not a fan of sarcasm in general, especially online when facial expressions can't be seen, in this case I do understand Todd's basic point. But I also feel like you do in that reviewing dvds really can be a thankless job and in that sense I agree with you and Leo: Paul Mavis does do a very good job with his reviews.

Gary "btw, my crystal ball revealed that we can expect some music changes with this upcoming Fugitive set - but how much is still very sketchy" O.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
So Gary does your crystal ball say anything about how the new box set is put together? Based on the picture previously posted it looks too thin to just hold the 8 standard cases previously released. And even slim cases can't combine that many disks so tightly.
I fear we might get some music fixed but then have to deal with disks in cardboard sleeves that get all scuffed up during assmbly (as in sets like MASH).

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Unfortunately I don't know anything about the box. But your concern on that issue is duly noted and I hope CBS/P thinks about that. Some of those complete box sets that have been released in the past have been terrible about scratching discs all up.

Gary "if the picture in the crystal ball gets any clearer, I'll let you know - right now it's really vague" O.

burkej

Auditioning
Real Name
john burke
As a long time lurker on this site and an even longer time fan of The Fugitive, I understand where ToddR2 is coming from. Paul Mavis isn't an expert on The Fugitive music, and we can all agree that's not a big deal. But, if I were a self-proclaimed "Fugitive Fanatic", I'd probably notice that the music was changed for the DVDS for season two right away and report it. I noticed right away, and regretted buying those DVDS. Mavis didn't say a peep, and then tried to deny that any changes were made. When he was called on this on the DVD Talk forum, he acted in a very boorish manner to the posters who dared to question his review. He has since stonewalled on the issue and has never ammended his review. Why not? It would give him more credibility. I think this is what those of us who have a problem with his reviews mean when derisive comments are made about him. Not knowing something isn't the problem, it's not owning up to errors or omissions (and they happen frequently in his reviews). This goes to the core issue of trustworthiness, I think.
John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.