What's new

Fugitive comes to DVD in a 33 disc set on Nov. 1st 2011 (2 Viewers)

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Rick Thompson said:
I'm shocked -- shocked! -- to hear there is franching milking going on! Welcome to Casablanca!
I would only be shocked if people bought it all again no matter what, but judging by Joyce's post above, even I'm now likely to buy this upcoming release. Very exciting news, I must say.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clugul /t/313960/fugitive-comes-to-dvd-in-a-33-disc-set-on-nov-1st/30#post_3842540
Along with my previous post (#38) about the inclusion of Barry Morse material in the bonus DVD, comes this latest news from the administrator of The David Janssen Archive:
Fellow Fugitives:
To reinforce what has already been stated by Mr. Wynn and Mr. Wood, the David Janssen Archive www.davidjanssen.net has too worked closely with CBS to create a very special component on the Bonus disk. The care and attention to detail as has been exhibited by our CBS liaison indicates quite clearly that they care—and are interested in delivering a great product to conclude this release. The music woes of the past were certainly unfortunate and the outcry of criticism was heard. I do believe CBS wants to make amends and do something very special here.
We here were not privy to details about the forthcoming music status. But we can tell you, as fellow enthusiasts of the series, our unique contribution is probably on many of your wish lists of bonus content possibilities.
November 1 is right around the corner and I’m sure there will be more details released in the weeks prior. Sorry not to further clarify the speculation which is abound, but we do not want to eclipse CBS’ timetable of formal announcements.
“drkimble”

Joyce, thank you for this further info. I'm cautiously optimistic about the music issue being fixed, especially in the light of CBS getting in touch with the folks at the David Janssen Archive. They have a pretty good handle on what is and isn't a CBS Library cue versus a Capitol Music cue, so perhaps we will get what Fugitive fans have been clamoring for ever since the 2nd Season was released. If CBS/P is actually going to give us a release that has all the CBS cues on it then I'm in. I can live with the very, very few Capital cues that will have to be expunged as long as the well known CBS cues have been reinserted into the episodes. I'll wait to hear more definitive information before I start doing cartwheels, but with this latest update I feel like I should probably start warming up. On the other hand, if we are only talking about a bonus disc then my enthusiasm will be tempered. The only thing that will make me double dip is if the music has been restored.

Gary "keeping my fingers crossed for good news about the backscore" O.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I'm a huge fan, but the only set I actually own is Season 2, Volume 1 (the corrected version). But even if every note of music is restored for this mega-set.... I'll probably hold off. Given the HD remastering, a blu-ray release in a couple of years seems possible. If not, I should be able to score this set cheap by then.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Restoration should also include not just all of the CBS cues that were still missing but also Janis Paige's song I believe?

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Gary OS said:
     Quote:  Joyce, thank you for this further info.  I can live with the very, very few Capital cues that will have to be expunged as long as the well known CBS cues have been reinserted into the episodes.   Gary "keeping my fingers crossed for good news about the backscore" O.

And while they're at it, get a competent music editor to dial back the gain to appropriate levels on the remaining Mark Heyes cues. There were quite a few of his cues that would have worked had they not been at booming volumes.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Thompson /t/313960/fugitive-comes-to-dvd-in-a-33-disc-set-on-nov-1st/30#post_3842634
And while they're at it, get a competent music editor to dial back the gain to appropriate levels on the remaining Mark Heyes cues. There were quite a few of his cues that would have worked had they not been at booming volumes.
I can't disagree with that. I'm sure lowering the Heyes on some of those spots would have helped make it more palatable.

Gary "it will be interesting to see how the news pans out over the next several weeks" O.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I pre-order the set and i am looking forward to watching the final episode. My buddy that recently passed on never got to see the last episode. I plan to watch the episode as a tribute to him.
Nothing beats classic TV, especially from 1960s/1970s and into the 1980s. I believe shows/acting from that aforementioned era help shape a generation.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
younger1968 said:
I pre-order the set and i am looking forward to watching the final episode. My buddy that recently passed on never got to see the last episode. I plan to watch the episode as a tribute to him.
Nothing beats classic TV, especially from 1960s/1970s and into the 1980s. I believe shows/acting from that aforementioned era help shape a generation.
That would be a very fine and appropriate tribute to him, I'm sure...and my condolences to you, Paul, for the loss of your friend...I can well understand the sentiment, as a lot of us can associate some much treasured TV show, movie, book, poem or song with a dearly held memory of someone who has passed away...maybe that speaks to the sometimes subtle magic of our collective memories in sharing the thrills, fear and hope of the Fugitive...

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
If CBS did decide to fix some of the music issues, I wouldn't be surprised by little mention of it in the marketing materials. I would think from CBS's perspective fixing the music might seem to have more negatives then positives. Yes, fans of the show would be happy music has been fixed and might even double dip, but there would be an outcry for a replacement or upgrade program from many of those that already purchased. And that might be something they don't want to deal with. Enough so to just let things be, even if they now feel they could make the changes.
So If they did, as Gary mentioned, fix the CBS que's they might not want to mention it and just let the dedicated forum's discover it. That way they may figure the most ardent internet fans will double dip and the less informed will stick with what they have. Personally, I can't see them wanting to open that door again and taking the fallout. Maybe a future blu-ray release but not a dvd release. But I also never thought they would ever remaster any of the later Star Trek series, so what do I know.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by smithb /t/313960/fugitive-comes-to-dvd-in-a-33-disc-set-on-nov-1st/30#post_3842707
If CBS did decide to fix some of the music issues, I wouldn't be surprised by little mention of it in the marketing materials. I would think from CBS's perspective fixing the music might seem to have more negatives then positives. Yes, fans of the show would be happy music has been fixed and might even double dip, but there would be an outcry for a replacement or upgrade program from many of those that already purchased. And that might be something they don't want to deal with. Enough so to just let things be, even if they now feel they could make the changes.
So If they did, as Gary mentioned, fix the CBS que's they might not want to mention it and just let the dedicated forum's discover it. That way they may figure the most ardent internet fans will double dip and the less informed will stick with what they have. Personally, I can't see them wanting to open that door again and taking the fallout. Maybe a future blu-ray release but not a dvd release. But I also never thought they would ever remaster any of the later Star Trek series, so what do I know.

I never considered that angle, but I think you have a very valid point there, Brad. It makes sense.

Gary "I don't really care how the set is marketed, I'll be waiting for some type of knowledgable fan report on the cues before I buy" O.

ToddR2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd Rutherford
A careful reading of what Joyce has posted (Thanks, Joyce for posting this info, BTW), would indicate that only bonus/extra material is being referenced by the respective admisitrators. No mention is made of the episodes themselves. A bonus disc shouldn't make anyone double dip. Brad, you do offer an interesting idea regarding a "stealth" restored release.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Brad, me either, hadn't considered the possible widespread exchange program issues that CBS might be considering.

As Gary mentioned, I imagine some of us here will need to wait for some online info from those that have pre-ordered or that buy the set upon release, before we can decide on the double-dip route.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Originally Posted by ToddR2 /t/313960/fugitive-comes-to-dvd-in-a-33-disc-set-on-nov-1st/30#post_3842730
A careful reading of what Joyce has posted (Thanks, Joyce for posting this info, BTW), would indicate that only bonus/extra material is being referenced by the respective admisitrators. No mention is made of the episodes themselves. A bonus disc shouldn't make anyone double dip. Brad, you do offer an interesting idea regarding a "stealth" restored release.
Good point. Any extras wouldn't be enough for me to double-dip. Only a complete backscore restoration, like the original S1 sets' soundtrack, will get me to dd for this one.

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
It will take a whole lot besides a bonus disc and a CD of music before I decide whether or not this will be worth my while to pick this set up. I shall take a wait-and-see approach to see whether or not I place this one on my TV DVD to-get list.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by ToddR2 /t/313960/fugitive-comes-to-dvd-in-a-33-disc-set-on-nov-1st/30#post_3842730
A careful reading of what Joyce has posted (Thanks, Joyce for posting this info, BTW), would indicate that only bonus/extra material is being referenced by the respective admisitrators. No mention is made of the episodes themselves.
Trust me, Todd, I took note of what Joyce said. I was simply postulating that since people from the David Janssen Archive were consulted in regards to the bonus disc, CBS might also take advantage of their knowledge about the music cue issues and fix those S2 & S3 problems. But I'm under no delusion because of misreading the comments from Joyce.

Gary "frankly, I think this thing could go either way" O.

ToddR2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd Rutherford
Gary, that was simply an observation, and certainly not directed at you (or anyone else). I agree that it could go either way.

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
I cannot believe CBS/Paramount would go back and correct their mistakes. They just don't seem to care. I have been waiting for season 4 of "The Untouchables" for a long time now. It looks like they won't ever release it. Why do 3 seasons and skip the 4th? The music was'nt even nelson riddle in the last season. It was Pete rugolo and others. I would not believe Paramount if they told me day was "light" and night was "dark". I'm totally over them.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Todd, thanks for the clarification. I was afraid someone might think I didn't pick up on Joyce's comments being exclusively about the bonus disc, so when you posted I was a bit frustrated thinking I hadn't made my point clearly enough.

Gary "take care, buddy" O.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I hate to disagree, but I think if they were going to go to the cost and trouble of doing any substantial amount of fixing to the audio, it would be because they think it's going to be beneficial for sales. And for it to be beneficial for sales, the consumers have to actually be aware of it.
If fans are going to be in an uproar once they hear the news it's been restored, they're still going to be in an uproar even if you delay them finding out until after the release date. And let's not kid ourselves, the ones that are primarily aware of the problems, in the first place, are the type that frequent a place like here. And we're the ones that would care if they were fixed. So what's to be gained by fixing the problem for us if they're concerned the same group is going to be up in arms when they find out?
If they've made significant improvements and let us know about them now, they'd have fans that were happy preordering the disc, discussing it and promoting it at forums like here, have sites like TV Shows on DVD spreading the good news, have positive reviews popping up on the product page at Amazon rather than warnings and hate mail, etc. Sure, you risk some negativity if you fixed it, but since you did fix it, you'd be assuming the positives would outweigh the problems. So why wouldn't you be broadcasting that from day 1?
I don't see what there is to be gained by not publicizing it at the earliest possible moment and at every subsequent opportunity they get if they've actually responded to criticism and are going to properly present these episodes on DVD. If they're that concerned about what fans like ourselves are going to do (The average person on the street picking these sets up didn't care and likely didn't even realize), I fail to see why they'd bother fixing them in the first place. You effectively just said that they don't have anything to gain from fixing it if they have to conceal it from us.
My money is on the safe bet, they didn't say anything because they didn't do anything. And I bet season 1 will have gotten the Heyes treatment.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I'm pretty sure if the music thing is fixed now, they'll be mentioning that in the promotion for it from the get go, tvshowsondvd, etc. No good reason not to. The Fugitive is really known for its huge fanbase, so I think the whole reason for this set in the first place is to get fans to double dip, this they know is highly likely if the music's in original state since a few new extras will not attract enough people. It'll attract me and other Janssen fans if it's good enough, but the hardcore Fugitive fan perhaps not and so who's going to buy this. Surely not any casual viewer of drama television at this price tag, I think they need the old fans for this new release to make any sense at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.