Frozen 3D Bungle?! (1 Viewer)

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Ronald Epstein said:
There's a considerable amount of "hush hush" about this
3D release from Disney. They do not want to talk about it.
Or maybe they just don't have anything to say.

(No, seriously: Let's go with the positive "They tripped and missed the bus, and now they're holding back till November" theory, which is also imaginary at this point. Let's say they've even decided that at this point--What do they say?
They could say "We're looking at 4Q", but then they'd have to say why...Again, assuming they've already slated that. We could also sympathize if they thought that saying why wouldn't work. They could say "We're bringing it in for the snowy holidays on October/November XX!"...But they'd have to have scheduled an actual Tuesday date for that, nine months ahead. They could say, "Look for it as part of our new wave of 3-D titles, along with the upcoming Planes 2 and Incredibles 3D!"...But then, they'd have to schedule release dates for movies that haven't even hit theaters yet.
Or, they could tell the truth and say "We can say nothing at this time." And then we'd all think they were up to something.)

And there's nothing particularly Watergate about a company choosing not to air their problems, if they believe they can fix them--Look at the recent controversy with Sea World and the "Blackfish" documentary.
Sea World initially felt that the documentary was badly skewed, purposefully inaccurate in many places, and made without the intent to involve both sides in the discussion, so at first they believed was their position to remain above it and not dirty themselves with the discussion. But when "Sea World is evil!" became trendy with a lot of people who wanted it to be true for their own personal reasons--and customers and performing acts started cancelling--they felt persuaded to publish a series of full-page statements fact-checking the inaccuracies in the movie saying, in effect, "Okay--Freakin' LOOK:" They felt it was their corporate duty to stay uninvolved in the misinformation, until it had actually reached the crisis point in the discussion where the lunatics were running the asylum.
With 10,000 theories flying about, now even affecting their otherwise unrelated attempts to launch digital services, I don't know whether Disney is aware we're dangerously near that point, but if they're not now, we both soon will be. Seriously, how bad would the fallout be at this point if they just came out and said "We had some pressing problems, but we'll bring you something really good in November"? Or would we all just say "Yeah, 'pressing problems' like you had with Little Mermaid?"

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
"Free Birds came from a small studio, and failed. EPICALLY."Well, Free Birds was 3D in the theatres, so BD should also include 3D version, that's my point. I don't really care how much or little money it made. If the film has 3D option in the theatres, it should've 3D in BD also.And since Free Birds cost "only" 55$milj to make, I don't see how it failed "epically" if it made 55$milj in US alone. It failed, but not epically.The problem is that many animation fans only speak from the "adult pow": "Oh, this is not Wall-E which was the brilliant and clever view of the blah blah blah". I have a 3 year old kid at home who probably enjoys both Wall-E AND Free Birds. Nuff said.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The most logical explanation for why Disney is being so coy about this is that they have not yet decided what they're going to do. Granted, it is pretty late in the game for that. . .

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
It should be noted that many of Disney's early Digital 3D releases were previously only available from VUDU or PSN months or years before they finally arrived on 3D Blu-ray (Chicken Little, Meet the Andersons, etc.)

Ok, so I have read through almost every post here, including conspiracy theories, plausible considerations, technical discussions of which I understood very little, much of which was both highly informative and entertaining, and I have just one question. VUDU doesn't work in Canada, so does anyone know any other way to purchase the Digital 3D version of Frozen? Thanks! :D

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Todd Erwin said:
It should be noted that many of Disney's early Digital 3D releases were previously only available from VUDU or PSN months or years before they finally arrived on 3D Blu-ray (Chicken Little, Meet the Andersons, etc.)
(Or even the Robinsons. That were directed by the Andersons. ;) )
Jennifer Irene Hillier said:
Ok, so I have read through almost every post here, including conspiracy theories, plausible considerations, technical discussions of which I understood very little, much of which was both highly informative and entertaining, and I have just one question. VUDU doesn't work in Canada, so does anyone know any other way to purchase the Digital 3D version of Frozen? Thanks! :D
As Todd says, it's already up on PSNetwork store for $30US, although I don't know whether that extends up north. AFAIK, those are the only two 3D streaming/download sites.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I just checked the PSNetwork store and you can buy "Get A Horse" in 3D for only $3.99. That's actually a little tempting except all I have is a PS4 and the website says it only plays on a PS3.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Chris Will said:
I just checked the PSNetwork store and you can buy "Get A Horse" in 3D for only $3.99. That's actually a little tempting except all I have is a PS4 and the website says it only plays on a PS3.
The PS4 doesn't play 3D (at least not yet). Same goes for the X-Box One.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Jennifer Irene Hillier said:
VUDU doesn't work in Canada, so does anyone know any other way to purchase the Digital 3D version of Frozen? Thanks! :D
Don't tell anyone but VPN is your secret weapon here.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
bigcat said:
It can change your IP location from Canada to the USA or Europe and make it look like you are not in the country you are actually in thus enabling you to watch shows from countries which disallow it. Of course if they require a sign up using a physical address it may be a problem, some people watch Netflix USA using VPN's because the UK Netflix has much less content.

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
Okay Disney, you have the Oscar, time to make this right, and announce a 3D Blu-ray to present the Best Animated Feature Film as it was intended.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm on the fence here - I'll either buy the UK 3D import, or I won't get it at all. Knowing that the movie was made in 3D, released theatrically in 3D, and is available worldwide in 3D, I have less than zero interest in purchasing the 2D-only set. And from Todd Erwin's comments on the "digital 3D" release, that's just not a viable option for me - both because I'm not sure that my streaming can handle that, and because I'm not really into paying the same price as a hard copy for something that includes a fraction of the features and functionality of the hard copy.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
McCrutchy said:
Okay Disney, you have the Oscar, time to make this right, and announce a 3D Blu-ray to present the Best Animated Feature Film as it was intended.
Namely, working.

(And I can see it coming now: After twenty years of "Beauty & the Beast is the best Disney because it was nominated!", we're going to be putting up with another twenty danged years of "Frozen must be the best Lasseter-Disney because it was the only one to WIN!"....Duh, yeah, in a year Pixar wasn't nominated, and everyone was gushing over the Oprah Song. :rolleyes:
If only people had seen Wreck-It Ralph in theaters, then maybe Brave wouldn't have won, and tragic history could've been avoided...)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Ejanss said:
Namely, working.

(And I can see it coming now: After twenty years of "Beauty & the Beast is the best Disney because it was nominated!", we're going to be putting up with another twenty danged years of "Frozen must be the best Lasseter-Disney because it was the only one to WIN!"....Duh, yeah, in a year Pixar wasn't nominated, and everyone was gushing over the Oprah Song. :rolleyes:
If only people had seen Wreck-It Ralph in theaters, then maybe Brave wouldn't have won, and tragic history could've been avoided...)
Now you understand how I feel about Mary Poppins in relation to Every. Other. Sherman. Brothers. Musical. Ever. Made.

And I thought Monsters University was a good film, but not exactly Oscar-caliber.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
MatthewA said:
Now you understand how I feel about Mary Poppins in relation to Every. Other. Sherman. Brothers. Musical. Ever. Made.
Are you comparing the vintage Walt-era work of Robert Stevenson and the matte paintings of Peter Ellenshaw to cold soulless Sherman songbooks like "Happiest Millionaire" or "Jungle Book"? Friend, those are fighting words. :angry:
Poppins earned its Oscars, Frozen GOT LUCKY. It got picked a winning ticket from the Lottery of Bad Timing, like Beauty did, like Brave did, like the first Shrek did, and like even even Randy Newman did when he got his only Song Oscar for Monsters, Inc.

(And between B&B, Lion King, and Hunchback--the latter of which I compare Frozen to most often, for "Hello, these are animated characters, you can let them move offstage once in a while?"--I gotta ask: WHY do they always like the goofy, lazy ones? Am I wrong for liking the sensible hardworking John Musker & Ron Clements movies as an entire film-storytelling entity, and not just one stupidly out-of-contexed soundtrack song with a movie attached?)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks