What's new

Frozen 3D Bungle?! (1 Viewer)

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Chris Will said:
I think Disney is just planning to screw American consumers. The upcoming BD release has very few bonus features and no 3D. It wouldn't surprise me to see a super-duper ultimate collector's edition just in time for the holidays this fall with a second disc of features and the 3D version.
Ah, and that would be a PLOT!!, rather than just rescheduling a late arrival?(I suppose if they released it in a promotional holiday wave with Planes 2:F&R and a re-rendered Pixar movie, that would be THREE TIMES THE GREED!!!!? No, I just wanna know, can they do anything good out of this, or do we have the spin ready for anything, Rupert Murdoch?)

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Whether they rescheduled anything or not, it is still a plot; or let's use a better word, plan. It may also be a great business plan that will bring them piles and piles of cash. This is why they are in business of course and I get that but, as a consumer, I don't have to like it or approve of this plan.

Non the less, I'm also a weak consumer and love seeing my kids happy. Since they love this movie I will buy the BD in 3 weeks and if a 3D version comes out later I'll probably buy it again but with my angry face! I'm a sucker, what can I say, but I still don't approve of the plan.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
All I'm saying is what the tinfoil crowd is saying: What if it WAS an accident?
How long are you going to punish them for it? Just because you, what, didn't get a disk you wanted?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Been giving this matter some more thought.

I am starting to subscribe to Adam's theory that Disney will not release this
title at all to blu-ray.

Also thinking the studio may be done with 3D altogether. It was suggested
that we all look to the upcoming Planes sequel to see how Disney releases that.

Of course, I don't have the answers. Nobody does. We are all speculating what
the problem is. I am just leaning towards the theory that 3D Blu-ray sales have
been lackluster for Disney and they may have thrown in the towel.

In any event....

I am probably going to buy the import.

Can someone please repost the link for the import sale? I can find it on my own,
but someone reposting it will probably be helpful for everyone.

Is there any indication that the Mickey Mouse 3D short will be included? I hear
it is absolutely tremendous for pop-out and worth the price of the disc alone.

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
Here is the UK 3D BD:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FZM8Z7I

Also worth noting that Disney are still releasing the 3D BD in Mexico, so that would absolutely be Region A and would likely be the exact disc the US would have got:

http://www.mixup.com.mx/mixup/Product.aspx?sku=7509656304874

The continued existence of a Mexican 3D BD is probably the nail in the coffin regarding any authoring issues with a US 3D BD. I do believe the US 3D BD would have been made in Mexico, anyway. So obviously, if Mexico can have a 3D BD, then so can the US and Canada.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Interesting.

Just preordered the region free version on Amazon UK. Thanks, Sean!!

Price was £18.00 but when I actually put it in my basket it dropped to £15.00.

With shipping, total order came to £18.00

So, essentially paying $30 for this shipped to United States.

McCrutchy

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
Ronald Epstein said:
Interesting.

No problem, Ron. :)

Amazon.co.uk removes the UK VAT (Value Added Tax) from orders going outside the EU, and since we have no VAT ourselves, it's basically 20% off. Amazon must employ rounding, however.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Ronald Epstein said:
Of course, I don't have the answers. Nobody does. We are all speculating what
the problem is. I am just leaning towards the theory that 3D Blu-ray sales have
been lackluster for Disney and they may have thrown in the towel.
I'll skip digging out the pen and pad and adopting a bad Viennese accent, but I'll ask "Why?"
WHY is it so much the "sexier" theory to think "It's over, it's over!", and they've somehow "sold Disney fans down the river", either with respect to 3D or to hard-disk? What is the appeal of pessimism, even to normally optimistic people? What MAKES us not trust them, even when perfectly reasonable theories stare us right in the face?
Is it that fun and that much more rewarding to think "The haters have beaten us!", and The 3D War Is Over? People thought like that during WWII, you know, every time they read bad headlines in London. It was just that much more COMFORTING.

As you say--and no, please, I'm not quoting Bill Maher, here--I don't know, and you don't know either.
All I know is that Evil is very hard to do for a company. It's inconvenient. It's a lot of hard work. It's a lot of overtime hours for underpaid PR people, and either stonewalling or bad alibis that show up on customers' radar immediately. Blll Gates could do it, and Eisner was distinctly clumsy with it, but they're not working for their respective corporations anymore.
You're taking a bat and beating up goblins created by YOUR OWN IMAGINATION--and a resentful tantrum-throwing one at that, to try and get back at those you-don't-know-either grumblings about why Disney would release 1 3D disk for $35--and saying that anyone who doesn't beat up imaginary imps with a baseball bat is living in a happy dream world. Uh, look up "dream world" in the dictionary.

Why isn't Disney "telling us anything" if it's a tech problem, and they have either a six-month promotional reschedule (eww, we won't get our Let It Go right awayyy!) or one they don't have an answer to tomorrow? Oh, I don't know--What happened the last time they had a genuine tech problem with their disks and offered to work with us on it? Gee, I can't recall, can someone fill me in on what happened?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You're taking a bat and beating up goblins created by YOUR OWN IMAGINATION--and a resentful tantrum-throwing one at that, to try and get back at those you-don't-know-either grumblings about why Disney would release 1 3D disk for $35--and saying that anyone who doesn't beat up imaginary imps with a baseball bat is living in a happy dream world. Uh, look up "dream world" in the dictionary.
Ejanns,

Can I ask you a favor?

Take this down several notches.

Tantrum? Taking a bat and beating up goblins created by my own imagination?

You are posting paragraphs of aggravated nonsense, it seems.

All we are doing is calmly speculating and debating what Disney may or may not be doing.

You are answering with rants, accusing others of throwing tantrums.

Relax and take this down a few levels. It's getting annoying.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Ronald Epstein said:
Been giving this matter some more thought.I am starting to subscribe to Adam's theory that Disney will not release thistitle at all to blu-ray.Also thinking the studio may be done with 3D altogether. It was suggestedthat we all look to the upcoming Planes sequel to see how Disney releases that.Of course, I don't have the answers. Nobody does. We are all speculating whatthe problem is. I am just leaning towards the theory that 3D Blu-ray sales havebeen lackluster for Disney and they may have thrown in the towel.In any event....I am probably going to buy the import.Can someone please repost the link for the import sale? I can find it on my own,but someone reposting it will probably be helpful for everyone.Is there any indication that the Mickey Mouse 3D short will be included? I hear it is absolutely tremendous for pop-out and worth the price of the disc alone.
I really hope that this is not the case. Having kids, a lot of our 3D watching is of Disney discs and I was really looking forward to Frozen in 3D since we didn't get to see it that way in theaters. I really don't want to buy the UK version, but I may have to.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I really hope that this is not the case. Having kids, a lot of our 3D watching is of Disney discs and I was really looking forward to Frozen in 3D since we didn't get to see it that way in theaters. I really don't want to buy the UK version, but I may have to.
Don't take my speculation as gospel. Nobody knows what the situation is.

It's just that, apparently from my understand, Disney 3D sales have diminished.

...that's alarming news from one of the biggest companies producing 3D content.

Based on diminished sales, and the fact that the company would have to spend money on a
second campaign at the end of the year just to sell a 3D release --- we are more inclined to
think that there will not be a 3D release at all.

...but again, it's speculation.

I am with you. I hope that is not the case, but siding with caution, I am taking the risk and
buying the European release. It's region free, so no matter what, it will play on your system.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
Not sure what the argument is, but if there's a 3D version of the film on BD, I'm pretty sure it's coming in the US also.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Jari, there is no argument.

Nobody knows for certain, so we are only speculating.

It just seems odd that Disney would delay a 3D release
and refuse to even talk about it to their PR people.

There's a considerable amount of "hush hush" about this
3D release from Disney. They do not want to talk about it.

...so just take that all in and you now now why we are
debating the issue back and forth.

No arguing.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Here's my pie-in-the-sky hope (not speculation, hope!): This title is being held up waiting for the release of iTunes 3d support on Apple TV. =)Like I said about 10 pages back tho I bought the UK version. Don't remember if it comes with an iTunes code or not, and if it does I wonder if we can redeem it here in the US....

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Here's my pie-in-the-sky hope (not speculation, hope!): This title is being held up waiting for the release of iTunes 3d support on Apple TV. =)
Wow, Sam, I like that. Here's hoping!

Disney could very well be tying the title in with emerging hardware.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Jari K said:
I guess "Free Birds" is the similar case. No 3D listed at this point.
Free Birds came from a small studio, and failed. EPICALLY. (In much the same way Shark Night did.) Frozen did not.
Frozen was pretty much destined for two or three separately covered releases; Free Birds was lucky to get a Blu release, and then probably out of contractual obligation. It's not something Fox wants to spend a lot of output on, especially when they have their own 3D.
Sam Posten said:
Here's my pie-in-the-sky hope (not speculation, hope!): This title is being held up waiting for the release of iTunes 3d support on Apple TV. =)
Well...er....wouldn't that hold up the digital version, which is on schedule? :wacko:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Ronald Epstein said:
Interesting.

Mine is 18.08...how did you get a discount, Ron???? :D Kidding, of course!

If Disney is abandoning 3D, then it may only be for the animated movies. I can't see Marvel films in 2D only...and the new Star Wars films, too.

Something else is strange here: there are three films coming out on March 18 from Disney...Frozen, Saving Mr. Banks and Jungle Book 2. I would never say they are in the same league, but this is an odd "wave" (if we want to call it that). You would think they would want Frozen to stand completely on its own. Maybe it's a PR stunt to prop up the other two. I don't know.

It's just weird to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks