What's new

frightening horror movies (1 Viewer)

ChrisTes

Agent
I'm looking for some amazingly scary movies. I just got my surround sound set up. Last weekend I watched "They" it had some great effects which really enhanced the movie. That's what I'm looking for. Other recent films I've seen include "The Ring 2", "Amittyville Horror (2005)", and "The Grudge". I didn't find any of them to be to scary. I'm really looking to be scared like I haven't been in a while. Please fill me in on any movies that you know of that have amazing surround sound effects that will have me looking for something in the corner or trying to answer the phone when it rings on screen. Thanks for your help. Chris

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
There's always The Exorcist. Scariest soundtrack ever recorded, as far as I'm aware. There's even a loud-ass ringing phone for you.

--Jefferson Morris

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I dont know of any movie that really scares adults.
How about the Entity or Burnt Offerings. They are more horror than slasher.

ChrisTes

Agent
Ok well maybe not scary to adults but there are moments when you can be supprised. When something jumps out and you don't expect it etc. more like that I guess. Thanks for your suggestions. Chris

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
Event Horizon
What Lies Beneath
Sixth Sense
Stir of Echos
Candyman

You will not be disappointed by any of these. Promise.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
A few that I consider genuinely frightening:

Black Christmas
The Blair Witch Project
Prince of Darkness
Session 9
Long Weekend (finally on DVD)
The Entity
The Sentinel
Dead and Buried
The House with Laughing Windows
Don't Look Now

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I'm surprised that the anal-retentive word police around HTF haven't given you the riot act on your misspelling of "frightening" in your thread title yet.;)

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit
Not scary overall, but Exorcist III has one of the scariest scenes I've ever seen. I literally jumped out of my seat!

For those who've seen the flick, it's the scene

of a nurse working at a counter, doing her duties when suddenly the baddie is right behind her with a "device". What really sells it is the lack of music and long POV shot right before the baddie shows up.....

8^B

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Kubrick's The Shining was voted 'scariest film ever' in a poll a few years ago.
Certainly up there as one of the most unsettling and creepy horror films ever made. The Shining's arguably the last genuinely great horror film to date IMHO, before the teen horror/slasher market took over.

Sergio Z.

Stunt Coordinator
These are some older ones (Late 70's, early 80's) but they still have the "make you jump" scenes:
John Carpenter's The Thing
Evil Dead
Phantasm
Halloween III: Season of the Witch......
"5 more days to Halloween, Silver Shamrock!" :D

DavidBC

Second Unit
The Changeling
The Haunting (1963)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
Suspiria
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978) - scariest ending ever.
Paperhouse
Candyman
The Others
The Eye has a really scary first 1/2, then becomes very lame very fast.

James T

Screenwriter
Ah, the annual "What's your favourite scary movie" thread.

In no particular order...

Below
Dawn of the Dead(remake)
Session 9(not your typical horror flick)
Evil Dead 2
Alien
The Others

But you said you're looking for "jump out of your seat" scares...then Below is a good choice. It's one of those movies where you expect something to happen, then nothing happens. When your heart rate drops to normal, that's when it gets you.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Not so much a "jump out of your seat" title, but...

one word: MATANGO

If that's not the scariest movie ever filmed, don't tell me about it!

ChrisTes

Agent
Thanks i'm going to have to go hit the video store. I already went tonight but they're lacking some of these great films on DVD and I don't have a VCR player in my dorm room.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
The original "Halloween" scares the crap out of me to this day. There's just something about that expression-less mask that freaks me out. Also, the original "Nightmare on Elm Street" scares me as well. They got sort of campy/funny with the sequels, but I consider the original to be one of the greatest horror films of all time.

While I don't find the re-make of "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" genuinely scary, it did have some good jump moments and was purely sickening and disgusting all around.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett

The third "Nightmare on Elm Street" is excellent as well, as it's kind of a mix between the darkness of the original and the humor that would become more pervasive in the later sequels. I consider it to be better than the original in many respects.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
I agree with DavidBC... 'Paperhouse' is great.

Personally, the scariest film I've ever seen is 'Dream Demon' from 1988 starring Jimmy Nail and Timothy Spall. It captures dream syntax like nothing else (except Rosemary's Baby - another FANTASTIC film).

(Although it's not quite as scary as Jimmy Nail's pop career)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Hey I just saw a scary one on AMC...well, no actually it was the most incoherent hippy trip of a 1973 film I have ever seen: A Name For Evil starring Robert Culp......what can I say about this muddled mess except that Culp look as stoned as I have ever seen him and it had a ghost..or something...and it had a mountain hippy orgy...or something...and the ending was.....something?

Avoid this at all costs, I am so mad that I have lost 90 minutes of my life to something as pointless as this...it didn't even cure my insomnia damn it!!

Jacob McCraw

Stunt Coordinator
Justin_S is right on with "Dead and Buried". Watch that one alone in a dark room. I watched it last year around this time and haven't seen a scarier flick since.

Also, a couple of people have mentioned "The Others". This one has great creepy surround effects and always comes to mind when people are looking for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks