What's new

Frasier (2023) (2 Viewers)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I watched the second and third episodes. I’m still a little surprised and not so surprised they are taking it in this direction with the focus on Frasier and Freddy. It was the natural choice.

On the third episode they made the reference to the time Frasier and Niles bought a restaurant. So afterwards, I did watch that episode called The Innkeepers on the new blu ray set. I always liked that episode, Martin was so right.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I always thought during filming of sitcoms, there was a “laugh” sign that lit up after jokes telling the studio audience when to laugh in case the jokes were bad and there was also an “applause” sign that lit when certain characters entered the scene. That would certainly make sense in this case because I didn’t crack a smile during the half episode I watched before turning it off and watching Loki.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Due to the lack of new scripted programming, CBS is airing the first two episodes tonight. So, if you want to try it out without streaming here is your chance.
I'd watch it if it were on CBS. Don't want to pay ransom because Paramount wants to hold the series hostage. Besides, sooner or later it will probably pop up on broadcast...maybe during the next strike.

FrasierGOLDENaluminum

Auditioning
Real Name
RealNameHere Doctor

'Frasier' Revival Greenlit at Paramount+​

Frasier-H-2021-1614187293-928x523.jpg

Dr. Frasier Crane is listening — again.

A revival of classic sitcom Frasier starring Kelsey Grammer is officially a go at ViacomCBS' streaming service Paramount+. The news was announced Wednesday during the company's unveiling of Paramount+.

"Having spent over 20 years of my creative life on the Paramount lot, both producing shows and performing in several, I'd like to congratulate Paramount+ on its entry into the streaming world," said Grammer. "I gleefully anticipate sharing the next chapter in the continuing journey of Dr. Frasier Crane."

more
SOS! Frasier has been trashed! (00.15 star rating) Cannot believe how absolutely effed this show has been treated. Cutmore-Scott is G-level acting, at best, while Salgueiro is wringing out all she can get from a dry, hollowly written character, and Grammer is shamelessly, lazily, under-working a complex character in his (acting and) production. The whole thing is on par with 90's Nickelodeon writing for very young children's shows. No joke -- the writers NEED to be switched out, and the characters need to be respected as the hilarious, richly complex characters with non-tinny plots. The whole thing is vapid, lacks real charm, actual belly laughs, and real issues. Replace Cutmore-Scott immediately (he ought to be on stage with 5th grade performances - fire whoever cast him too -- no, really -- this is a glaring, super obvious mis-cast), improve the David character from a 2-dimensional buffoon to something significantly better which really represents the culmination of two of the best characters ever, Niles and Daphne, and their dynamic merge. So pissed. So disappointed. Clinical Psychologists, professors, attorneys, writers, actors, teachers, etc... watching for HIGH-END HUMOR and rich writing here! Your audience is not only smart, but very smart. Genuinely doing a disservice to Hyde Pierce, Gilpin, and our beloved Mahoney, who were TOP TIER ACTORS, and effin' HILLARIOUS. Don't need to bring back former characters, but do need to respect and honor the show, Frasier realm, and Frasier-specific audience. Hung in there the whole awful first season, hoping producers, Grammer, Russo, and McMahon, would get it together before the end, but it actually never improves. At all. Not in writing, production, acting, comedy, timing, or casting. Without a massive overhaul, these fools will tarnish the whole show. Super rude, disrespectful treatment of the best show of all time. Initially thought the show was on life-support out the gate (at least it's alive?), but nerrrrp, Frasier revival is dead on arrival. Current team: you are not deserving, at this point, of audience returning for another round of witnessing your abuse. For real - Grammer, you really effed this up under your Production purview. Unforgivable. Make better choices or hire someone to do so and step aside. Turn this dumpster fire into the glorious show it is worthy of and still could become, and stop expecting loyalists (lazy brains with rock-bottom expectations) to do so while milking it for money and crutching on desperate watchers pleased for crumbs of an old corpse. Super grossed out by this.

FrasierGOLDENaluminum

Auditioning
Real Name
RealNameHere Doctor
SOS! Frasier has been trashed! (00.15 star rating) Cannot believe how absolutely effed this show has been treated. Cutmore-Scott is G-level acting, at best, while Salgueiro is wringing out all she can get from a dry, hollowly written character, and Grammer is shamelessly, lazily, under-working a complex character in his (acting and) production. The whole thing is on par with 90's Nickelodeon writing for very young children's shows. No joke -- the writers NEED to be switched out, and the characters need to be respected as the hilarious, richly complex characters with non-tinny plots. The whole thing is vapid, lacks real charm, actual belly laughs, and real issues. Replace Cutmore-Scott immediately (he ought to be on stage with 5th grade performances - fire whoever cast him too -- no, really -- this is a glaring, super obvious mis-cast), improve the David character from a 2-dimensional buffoon to something significantly better which really represents the culmination of two of the best characters ever, Niles and Daphne, and their dynamic merge. So pissed. So disappointed. Clinical Psychologists, professors, attorneys, writers, actors, teachers, etc... watching for HIGH-END HUMOR and rich writing here! Your audience is not only smart, but very smart. Genuinely doing a disservice to Hyde Pierce, Gilpin, and our beloved Mahoney, who were TOP TIER ACTORS, and effin' HILLARIOUS. Don't need to bring back former characters, but do need to respect and honor the show, Frasier realm, and Frasier-specific audience. Hung in there the whole awful first season, hoping producers, Grammer, Russo, and McMahon, would get it together before the end, but it actually never improves. At all. Not in writing, production, acting, comedy, timing, or casting. Without a massive overhaul, these fools will tarnish the whole show. Super rude, disrespectful treatment of the best show of all time. Initially thought the show was on life-support out the gate (at least it's alive?), but nerrrrp, Frasier revival is dead on arrival. Current team: you are not deserving, at this point, of audience returning for another round of witnessing your abuse. For real - Grammer, you really effed this up under your Production purview. Unforgivable. Make better choices or hire someone to do so and step aside. Turn this dumpster fire into the glorious show it is worthy of and still could become, and stop expecting loyalists (lazy brains with rock-bottom expectations) to do so while milking it for money and crutching on desperate watchers pleased for crumbs of an old corpse. Super grossed out by this.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Post deleted

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I just caught up with the 7th episode last night. Just in case some have not seen it, spoilers below.

In regards to the review posted above, i would have to say I agree with some of it. Particularly about living up to the Frasier specific audience who have an expectation. I think it’s odd how the Freddy and David characters are presented. I’ve been going back to re-watch the original series episodes that are invoked in my mind after I see one of the new episodes. There was a reference in an early episode of the original series when Frasier and Niles buy a restaurant. That is a great episode.

Back to Freddy, I’m thinking this series is a lot like the new Star Trek shows. They are in the same universe and timeline and yet somethings are different. In the original series, Freddy was made out to be a book smart kid as their parents tried very hard to give him the best education and exposed him to cultural things they liked. And he was made out to be highly allergic to certain foods and not the athletic type. Yet what we see is not that character in the new Freddy as he more masculine and athletic. Similarly, they have made David More like young Freddy. They had a blank slate with Niles and Daphne’s son, so he could have been more like Niles. Or a version of Daphne perhaps.

I can’t say I like the character of Alan. He’s such a downer. And we’ve never heard of him before. I can only guess Grammer wanted to work with him? He seems like a weak and opposite to a Niles replacement as a close friend that Frasier hangs out with.

As for Frasier, he seems the same, and as he‘s matured, of course he will have evolved. I don’t really see a lot different and I like how he has been trying to mend his relationship with Freddy.

The writers did give a pretty compelling reason for Freddy becoming a firefighter and I can respect that Freddy rejected what his parents tried to do for him and move in a direction of his grandfather. I like that aspect. I guess he grew out of his childhood allergies. I think we saw some glimpses of that in the original series.

I‘m ok with the other characters, they are new and they seem fine enough. Olivia was fun as star struck who wanted to get Frasier on the faculty of Harvard.

So this brings me up to the last episode I saw, Freddy’s Birthday. I liked this episode. I liked that they brought back Bebe Neuwirth as Lilith. It had that old spark to it. It did tread familiar territory such as the general dislike Frasier and Lilith have for each other, but each wanting the best for their child, and it worked. I was really hoping they could at this stage bury the hatchet, and it looked like they sort of did. I appreciated that they kissed, but I am not convinced it’s over. I really think they have to keep Lilith around more. I know she’s doing Julia, but maybe they can work out something.

As it’s Thanksgiving, I watched the two Frasier Thanksgiving episodes, A Lilith Thanksgiving and The Apparent Trap. It was nice to see Lilith and Frasier in their prime. And these were great episodes. It keeps reinforcing in my mind that Frasier and Lilith are good together. If the show gets re-tooled for a second season, I hope Lilith replaces Alan

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
But what do you really think? Stop holding back.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I learned something today about Kelsey Grammer that completely shocked me! The series is not that great either and I will probably stop watching sooner than later.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I just caught up with the 7th episode last night. Just in case some have not seen it, spoilers below.

In regards to the review posted above, i would have to say I agree with some of it. Particularly about living up to the Frasier specific audience who have an expectation. I think it’s odd how the Freddy and David characters are presented. I’ve been going back to re-watch the original series episodes that are invoked in my mind after I see one of the new episodes. There was a reference in an early episode of the original series when Frasier and Niles buy a restaurant. That is a great episode.

Back to Freddy, I’m thinking this series is a lot like the new Star Trek shows. They are in the same universe and timeline and yet somethings are different. In the original series, Freddy was made out to be a book smart kid as their parents tried very hard to give him the best education and exposed him to cultural things they liked. And he was made out to be highly allergic to certain foods and not the athletic type. Yet what we see is not that character in the new Freddy as he more masculine and athletic. Similarly, they have made David More like young Freddy. They had a blank slate with Niles and Daphne’s son, so he could have been more like Niles. Or a version of Daphne perhaps.

I can’t say I like the character of Alan. He’s such a downer. And we’ve never heard of him before. I can only guess Grammer wanted to work with him? He seems like a weak and opposite to a Niles replacement as a close friend that Frasier hangs out with.

As for Frasier, he seems the same, and as he‘s matured, of course he will have evolved. I don’t really see a lot different and I like how he has been trying to mend his relationship with Freddy.

The writers did give a pretty compelling reason for Freddy becoming a firefighter and I can respect that Freddy rejected what his parents tried to do for him and move in a direction of his grandfather. I like that aspect. I guess he grew out of his childhood allergies. I think we saw some glimpses of that in the original series.

I‘m ok with the other characters, they are new and they seem fine enough. Olivia was fun as star struck who wanted to get Frasier on the faculty of Harvard.

So this brings me up to the last episode I saw, Freddy’s Birthday. I liked this episode. I liked that they brought back Bebe Neuwirth as Lilith. It had that old spark to it. It did tread familiar territory such as the general dislike Frasier and Lilith have for each other, but each wanting the best for their child, and it worked. I was really hoping they could at this stage bury the hatchet, and it looked like they sort of did. I appreciated that they kissed, but I am not convinced it’s over. I really think they have to keep Lilith around more. I know she’s doing Julia, but maybe they can work out something.

As it’s Thanksgiving, I watched the two Frasier Thanksgiving episodes, A Lilith Thanksgiving and The Apparent Trap. It was nice to see Lilith and Frasier in their prime. And these were great episodes. It keeps reinforcing in my mind that Frasier and Lilith are good together. If the show gets re-tooled for a second season, I hope Lilith replaces Alan
The Apparent Trap is one of the best episodes in the original series. Pierce was so good doing physical comedy, and using his face to accentuate a joke. Frederick goes to the bedroom to inform Niles that Frasier and Lilith are getting back together, and Niles enters the living room a couple of minutes later- the expression on his face resembled his just stepping in dog poo with bare feet. Great stuff. I read somewhere that Pierce wouldn’t rule out making an appearance in the reboot. Hopefully that can be worked out- to not have Frasier and Niles getting together would mean the reboot is incomplete.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
The Apparent Trap is one of the best episodes in the original series. Pierce was so good doing physical comedy, and using his face to accentuate a joke. Frederick goes to the bedroom to inform Niles that Frasier and Lilith are getting back together, and Niles enters the living room a couple of minutes later- the expression on his face resembled his just stepping in dog poo with bare feet. Great stuff. I read somewhere that Pierce wouldn’t rule out making an appearance in the reboot. Hopefully that can be worked out- to not have Frasier and Niles getting together would mean the reboot is incomplete.
Yes! That sequence where David Hyde Pierce comes out to the living room to confront Frasier about the wonderful news was terrific. The look on his face was perfect! Yes, it would be great if Pierce does do a guest spot on the new show.

I had seen the finale episode of the new Frasier and I think the last two episodes actually improved the overall series. It was more clear what Frederick was all about and what kind of person he became. I’ll be watching the next season. I’ll be curious how the series did in terms of audience numbers.

As it’s getting closer to Christmas, I watched tonight, Frasier Grinch, from the third season. What a remarkable thing to watch now as the characters are older now and we see how they evolved verses how they were some 20 years ago. Freddy who just wanted an Outlaw Laser Robogeek! I loved the joke in the toy store where Frasier gives the kid a great line about the one who someday will operate on his prostate. And then the joke about the guy who will sell Frasier the educational toys.

After watching the season of the new Frasier, I’m surprised of my reaction to seeing the cast and thinking how young they look!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks