What's new

Frasier (2023) (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I don’t see how this reboot can even approach the original- the supporting cast was as good, or even better than Kelsey. Mahoney’s passing, and Pierce’s non- involvement spells short-lived run, in my opinion.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
After seeing that promotional piece, I also hope the new series can live up to the original.

I put on an episode of Frasier from the new blu ray after seeing that promo, Retirement is Murder. I enjoyed watching that episode, some good stuff.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I don’t see how this reboot can even approach the original- the supporting cast was as good, or even better than Kelsey. Mahoney’s passing, and Pierce’s non- involvement spells short-lived run, in my opinion.
Most great comedies have a stellar supporting cast that often outshines the supposed "star". In fairness, they are shipping him back to Boston and surrounding him with a new cast of characters, so I'm willing to give it a chance if I can find a way to see it (I don't have Paramount+).

I'd be more skeptical if they were retaining the Seattle setting and just trying to move forward in that same world without the familiar cast.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I saw the first episode. It was better than what I was expecting. I had a few chuckles here and there.

Andy Dwyer

Agent
Real Name
Andy
Just finished episode 1. It is a total 180 to the original. Not funny at all, supporting cast is terrible.

They should have left well enough alone.

I'm on episode 2 and if it can't produce some laughs, I'm going back to the classic original to remove the stink from the room.

Andy Dwyer

Agent
Real Name
Andy
Episode 2 completed. Same as 1st, not funny, jokes fall flat or are super predictable, Niles kid is worthless and doesn't need to be there.

Such a disappointment.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I saw the first episode. It was better than what I was expecting. I had a few chuckles here and there.
How was Martin’s death handled? Hopefully it was touching, and well written.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
They do talk about him right from the start and extensively. But I can't explain it. You have to see it for yourself. The thing I didn't quite get from episode 1 was what happened to Laura Linney's character.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
They do talk about him right from the start and extensively. But I can't explain it. You have to see it for yourself. The thing I didn't quite get from episode 1 was what happened to Laura Linney's character.
Meaning they didn’t even acknowledge that relationship, or they don’t adequately wrap it up in a tidy bow?

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
They do talk about her fast in a joke, I didn't understand it. Probably she dumped him.

Also, how many kids Frasier has? Is this kid the same as the one who went through a Gothic phase?

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
They do talk about her fast in a joke, I didn't understand it. Probably she dumped him.

Also, how many kids Frasier has? Is this kid the same as the one who went through a Gothic phase?
I assume Frederick is still the only child of Frasier’s (I know a different actor is playing the role- a shame they couldn’t/didn’t want to bring back the original actor).

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The revival show that felt completely flat to me was That '90s Show. I can't believe how bad and unfunny it is.

This has the DNA of Frasier and things are not completely flat. For example Frasier learning a secret and instead of telling them directly he knows (which would not be that funny), he uses that information against them.

Andy Dwyer

Agent
Real Name
Andy

Frederick is Frasier's kid and the other annoying guy is Niles kid.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Frederick is Frasier's kid and the other annoying guy is Niles kid.
There are opportunities for decent jokes, involving Niles’s son- they could have him liking things his grandfather (Martin) liked, much to the chagrin of Frasier.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes I know he is Niles' son. There is a lazy writing at the beginning, Frasier's friend asks him if his nephew, Niles and Daphne's son is coming. Sounded very forced. Of course Frasier knows his nephew is Niles and Daphne's son! The better writing would have been Frasier introducing him as "this is my nephew, Niles and Daphne's son".

Did you get what happened to Laura Linney?

Dennis_H

Stunt Coordinator
Watched first 2 last night. Laugh track is way too high. Don't need to be told when to laugh. The nephew is more annoying than needed. Yes, he probably should be neurotic, but way too much of a suckup to Frasier. Jokes were weak, but think they were trying to catch everyone up and introduce characters so they were overdone. I think it has potential and will continue it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I watched the first episode last night.

the made a very quick joke about Charlotte, I’m essence, what I heard is they had 20 years together and it didn’t work out so they are apart now. Martin does play heavily in the story.

What I felt was unexpected was how they characterized Freddy. Freddy was more the character with food allergies and not athletic. More the brainiac. Granted it was what Frasier and Lilith wanted for him. So this adult Freddy has rejected all that and went more towards a life that Martin had. So they had that moment with Frasier and Freddy to explain it. A

With David, they had a fresh sheet of paper so they could make him an extreme version of Niles. At least they’ve decided to go that way. Hopefully they will pull that side of the character back. Would be interesting if he takes after Daphne more.

Finally, i thought they may take this series the direction they did with the father-son thing. I went into this episode with an open mind and I was curious what they would do with Frasier. I’ll keep watching. Ina way, it’s sort of like how Picard was done. Some linkages are kept to the past show, but using new characters around him and a new situation.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I loved it. The revivals that have worked best for me in this age of reboots and continuations have been ones that acknowledged the passage of time rather than pretending that nothing has changed.

The original “Frasier” series was as close to perfect as a sitcom gets, and part of that perfection was that it had a beginning, middle and end, with a lot more character growth than you might usually get on a show of this type.

This new revival honors those earlier choices by not reopening them for direct continuation. What we see instead is that Frasier has found himself in a similar position to Martin, suddenly being with an adult son who couldn’t be more different than he is. But rather than turning Frasier into Martin, it was a clever choice to make Freddie carry on the family legacy of public service and blue collar life. It makes perfect sense that Freddie’s ultimate rebellion against Frasier and Lilith was to not be the kind of person they tried to mold him into. Freddie carries their values but not their personalities.

I was my father’s son when the original show aired, and now as this revival debuts I find myself the father of sons. A perfect shift in perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks