What's new

For something different: Commercials you actually like! (1 Viewer)

DeanR

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
I liked the Hummer commerical were everyone towers over this little guy and at the end he walks by this gorgeous blonde leaning over getting some water. I wonder who she is? Also, the Hemi guy as a director of a Dr. Z commerical was great. Classic 90's commercials with Larry Bird and Micheal Jordan playing horse, and the Little Caeser commercial with the dog in a line dance with people.

Scott_Sch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
This is going to sound dumb, but fairly recently they were playing a Burger King commercial on the radio for their sausage biscuit and they played it off like a fake infomercial. For the life of me I don't know why it always makes me crack up, but I just have to recite along with it when it comes on. It must mesh with my sense of humor or something.

"The sausageiness enhances the biscuit and the biscuitiness enhances the sausage! So, how much does this sausage biscuit cost anyway?...like 50 bucks?...."

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Scott, that reminds me of the new Cingular (I believe) commercial where the mom and daughter are yelling at each other, but they are saying the opposite of what you expect (and the opposite of their attitude).
It's not hysterical, but I found it kind of creative.
For example, the mom yells (at the daughter): "You have NO idea how much this is going to save me!!!!!"
and the daughter angrily yells back "I LOVE YOU!!!!" and storms off to her room...
then the mom responds with "Why you GRATEFUL little..."
I don't know, I thought it was cute.

mylan

Screenwriter
I just saw the Cingular commercial tonight, I actually rewinded TIVO so my wife could hear it due to our two year old neice talking the first time. This has got to be the first time I ever rewound a commercial.

Scott_Sch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Yeah, I just caught that the other day too...like you said, not hysterical but definitely creative...certainly better than the "can you hear me now" crap that verizon has going. I actually like the Alltel commercial simply for the fact that it busts on all the other wireless companies' commercials.

"So where can I get this biscuit sausage...(load booming voice)...NO! Its a sausage biscuit!!!"

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
The latest McDonald's promotion for the Snack Wrap. The wryly observant African American guy, thinking to himself about his co-worker's quirks, such as:
1. The gal using Wite Out to give herself a French manicure.
2. "Adam will be attacked by killer bees in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1..." and then the tubby guy doing this weird dance and waving his arms as though actually fending off killer bees. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Just the tone of the narrator's observations, particularly when Adam is "fending off" the "killer bees" usually has me laughing pretty hard.
Of course, part of this might be because I am a big fan of Mythbusters, and Adam Savage, the co-host, is always doing something weird. I can almost hear Jamie Hyneman making a similar crack about something strange Savage has done on the show.

Kristian

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kristian
The new A Diamond is Forever ad is really beautiful. It's been in heavy rotation during the US Open.
Speaking of which... Does anyone know who performs the song "What Are You Doing the Rest Of Your Life?" in the commercial?

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
I would pay actual cash money for a DVD of Chevron's animated car commercials, which were created by our friends at Aardman.
I love the Meow Mix ad where the carpooler gets extremely excited that his cat Baxter cas called him on the cell phone to sing the Meow Mix theme song to him. The other passengers warn him not to answer and roll their eyes in disgust.
A few months ago, family restaurant Chili's had a commercial with pounding hard-rock music, exploding animated chili peppers and onion rings, and the delightful slogan CONTROL YOUR OWN BURGER DESTINY. The ad mentions a selection of over 30 toppings, including chipotle (which, in my opinion, is the "new salsa").
I also have a soft spot for the current McDonalds ad where the sleeping person gently glides out of bed and along the floor (through the animation technique known as "pixilation") into the shower, then out the front door and all the way to McDonalds, to pick up some freshly brewed coffee, to the tune of soothing piano music, without ever waking up.
The old Wendy's commercial (featuring a fashion show in Russia), and Alaska Airlines (showing how uncomfortable flying on other airlines is) are good too.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I kind of like the new Time-Warner ad where the guy welcomes the girl into his neighborhood, and then has to adjust his dish in the rain.
"My TV went out! My TV went out!"

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Sonic commercials. Even with TiVo, I always stop to watch a new Sonic commercial.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Sonic commercials. Even with TiVo, I always stop to watch a new Sonic commercial.
They were mentioned in the other thread, Commercials that You Hate. You're the first person I've run across that actually likes them. I find them insanely annoying, almost as much as the BK King commercials.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Hey, I like some of them. I like the two dumb guys and the married couple. I'll bet the two dumb guys are among the ones you hate! Actually, it's one dumb guy and a regular guy, and the dumb guy made a cameo on Prison Break's season finale.
Since they brought it back, I'll mention that I like the country music Fruit of the Loom ad. The song sounds better than most real current country music. The one with them playing bongos is pretty good, too.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
The new GIECO commercial with Dan "In a World" Lafontaine doing his best movie trailer voice while a customer is describing her GEICO experience is great.
"This time, payback is for real".

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
BrianW said:
Oh, I watch 'em. And I start to salivate. And then I remember the closest Sonic near me is about 300+ miles away. :angry:
:D

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I've always liked the Nike football ads, whether it was the Brazil national team playing football in the airport, the "battle" Brazil had with Portugal even before official kick-off in the tunnel and the rest of the stadium, or the "cage match" ad and sequel. All available on YouTube, if you're interested.

Recently, there have been ads on the sports channels for Tiger beer that take the piss out of Arsenal and Manchester United, and one that riffs on Barcelona, but I can't find them on YouTube (yet...) I think they're local, or at most regional (South-East Asia, Tiger being a Singaporean beer).

Assuming anyone's interested, for Arsenal it starts in the dressing room pre-match, a Frenchman in a suit (obviously an Arsene Wenger parody) is speaking to his players, and most are, oddly, seated next to another man in a suit. "Wenger" gives his team talk in French-accented English, the players look on blankly, then when he finishes, each besuited man turns to the player next to him and starts translating, in a total babel of foreign languages whilst the players now look on animatedly (this takes the piss out of Arsenal's almost totally non-English squad). The follow up appears to be half-time in the dressing room, and has a man in a track suit talking excitedly (in English) in a strong regional accent (our guess is that it parodies Pat Rice, the assistant manager, who is Irish). None of the players understands him. "Wenger" then simply exhorts "Let's go", and the players stream out all geed up.

For ManU, it appears to be post-match and the manager is screaming at his players. When he yells in their faces, their hair goes flying up (this is a reference to Ferguson's "hairdryer treatment"). One player actually sits down, having showered and in a towel, and his long hair is getting blown-dry in the process. In another ad, it's a similar scenario, but one player actually gets out a tube of hair gel and starts applying it when getting "blasted".

For Barcelona, it simply shows a janitor mopping in the corridors. He then puts on a pair of sunglasses, then opens what must be the trophy room, and when the door opens bright dazzling light streams out at him, and he strides in (presumably to polish trophies).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks