What's new

The Klansman (1974) on blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Klansman blu.jpg

So, I probably could have posted this in the "obscure movies" thread as I have wanted to see this film for years but did not want to purchase any of the lousy DVD versions of it. This is not a film that has been shown much and I would say for good reason. It's a pretty heinous wallow in pig poop of a film...the kind of thing that a moron like Quentin Tarantino would call a masterpiece. Know that Tarantino feels John Ford was a piece of crap and thinks The Searchers was total garbage. Hey, everybody is welcome to his own opinion and I do tend to enjoy Tarantino's films...in general for his pure exuberance for the art form...but I think the man himself is a complete buffoon and mental midget.

If someone told you there was a film directed by the man that directed Dr. No, From Russia With Love, and Thunderball...three stone cold Bond classics...starring Richard Burton and Lee Marvin you would likely think you might have a minor classic or at least very solid early to mid 1970s action film on your hands.

Um...no, that's not the case.

What this film is notable for, according to legend and many first hand accounts, is the amount of alcohol consumed during the making of the picture and the fact that Burton was often so wasted he had to perform his scenes either sitting or lying down. No, that's not a joke and you can during the film occasionally hear him deliver lines in a drunken slur. Burton by his own admission was drinking at least 3 bottles of vodka a day at this point and Marvin was right there with him in terms of his own consumption however he managed to remain standing and could perform his scenes...but make no mistake when Marvin at one point opens a new bottle of whiskey and chugs from the bottle, that's not a prop. He's downing the real deal.

Watching this picture you have a lot of moments where you think "Who the hell thought this was a good idea?" and you certainly wonder how Terence Young came to the conclusion that it would be a good idea to make a film which put two of the world's greatest drunks together. There are two stories about this film that sum up how insane this was.

First, they rented an entire motel to house crew and some cast (not Marvin and Burton who had rented houses to stay in while apparently Burton was banging some local hausfraus which led to some major issues with his wife, some broad named Elizabeth Taylor) but one of the rooms in the hotel was dedicated entirely to housing floor to ceiling, including the bathroom, cases of liquor. Yes, that's right they had to have a motel room loaded with booze to get Marvin and Burton to even show up.

The second story about this debacle (and this may just be legend but seems like it could quite likely be true) is a few years after making this film Burton and Marvin were at the same party and the host said to them that he knew he did not need to introduce them because they had worked together on a film...at which point both Marvin and Burton denied this and said they had never met before...which later Burton discovered was untrue but he realized the two had been so drunk during the entire shoot that they could not recall making the film together.

Now, that's just the backstage stuff. In terms of what went on in front of the camera I have a hard time believing any of these people read this script and thought "Wow, what a great idea for a film."

First of all a major focus of the film is rape. Like rape for fun, rape as a plot device, rape as revenge and rape between friends or by accident...like "Hey, I tripped and accidentally raped her. It was just a mistake."

Or rape just to teach people a lesson but it was just a friendly rape that you know we didn't mean anything by. At one point early in the film Marvin's sheriff (ah, and he is supposed to be one of the good guys) stumbles upon a group of locals that are standing in a circle having a mentally challenged man rape a woman as just afternoon entertainment and Marvin breaks this up by telling them to knock it off and go home...like this was a common Sunday activity. And the local hicks reply "Oh come on sheriff, we was just havin' a little fun."

So, politically correct this film is not. In fact I think one of the reasons this film has been shown so little is even in 1974 when it was made it was considered fairly vile.

Another hilarious aspect of this film is that women are falling all over the Burton character including a pretty young woman that ridiculously tells him that he is the most handsome man in the county and every woman wants him. I laughed out loud at this as Burton clearly looks like a drunken wreck that most women would cross the street to avoid...not jump into the sack with. The film presses on with the idea that Burton is irresistible to all the local ladies as he sleeps with several of them including one as a "favor" because nobody else will sleep with her because she has been raped.

Saying all this however the film does feel and look like some 1970s drive-in B movie and it is sort of fun to see both Burton and Marvin slumming in this thing. This really does play like some sort of Tarantino dream film with exactly his bizarre style of writing and sleazy sensibilities. Plus there is a scene that Burton performs lying in bed, slurring his words that has to be seen to be believed.

I can't say I would recommend this to anybody except Quentin and anybody that loves sleaze as much as he does.

Last edited:

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
The "Burton fu" scene is hilarious. This was a Sam Fuller script that he was supposed to direct, but it was taken away from him by the Italian co-producers (who had a deal with Young) and changed entirely. Years later Fuller met Young, who confessed that he only made the film to keep his expensive young girlfriend in style. It's atrocious (and I wonder how the American producer, an African-American, felt about this adaptation of a book by a noted civil rights author)--but after years of public domain eyesore copies this is the best way to see it, uncut and with its OAR intact.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Yes, actually it was the fact that Sam Fuller was making this picture that got Lee Marvin to sign on and he wanted out of doing it once Fuller was out and I guess was mighty pissed off about the whole situation. Marvin sort of sleep walks...or I guess you could say drunk stumbles...through this. Not exactly his most animated performance. He basically looks hungover through it all which I am sure was the case.

Oh yeah, and when Burton pulls out the kung fu stuff to dispatch a bad guy things reach a Mystery Science Theater level of hilarity.

You are correct this blu-ray is the best way to see it and I won't lie I had fun watching it due to the heavy 70s vibe and the absolutely insane situations the film presents. I was kind of stunned by how many rape scenes there are and how absolutely sleazy they are. Really, who was this film aimed at besides Quentin Tarantino?

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
The Klansman is one of the very few films that made me walk out of a theater long before the end of the film.

Reactions: PMF

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
The Klansman is one of the very few films that made me walk out of a theater long before the end of the film.

I can honestly understand that. Was it the epic sleaze factor or the generally shoddy production that caused your walk out? Whoever thought it was a good idea to make the focus of this film multiple rape scenes was truly out of their mind. I can't see any actors of today signing on to do this picture UNLESS it was Tarantino that was directing it. He for some reason gets away with this kind of garbage...not sure why as he is pretty sickening to listen to when he talks about it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I assume it was just my post and I actually had several jokes I wanted to work in but left it at that one. Sorry, could not help myself.
I hope you do the next time because posts like that on a non-political forum isn't funny to a certain segment of this forum's membership nor the moderator staff that has to deal with the consequences of what may transpire in response to such a post.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I can honestly understand that. Was it the epic sleaze factor or the generally shoddy production that caused your walk out?

Both. I was just astonished that such an utterly low grade film could be made with name talent attached. The main reason I wanted to see the film was that Luciana Paluzzi was in it.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I hope you do the next time because posts like that on a non-political forum isn't funny to a certain segment of this forum's membership nor the moderator staff that has to deal with the consequences of what may transpire in response to such a post.

It's true, not everybody has a wonderful sense of humor like you and I, Robert. Not trying to make more work for you guys moderating the message boards.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Both. I was just astonished that such an utterly low grade film could be made with name talent attached. The main reason I wanted to see the film was that Luciana Paluzzi was in it.

I believe she is dubbed in the film. I've long been a fan of Burton and Marvin so I wanted to see it because of them. I know Burton was pretty well despised by critics in the 1970s and I know his role in the Exorcist sequel was a big part of that but I wonder if this film played into critics disliking him. He is pretty terrible in this film what with randomly attempting a Southern accent while sometimes just falling into drunken slur and looking like he needed to be carried onto the set each day.

EDIT: looks like Bob beat me to the dubbing comment.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
At age 13, this was, rather unaccountably, the first R rated movie I ever saw... I still tease my mother about how she wouldn't let me see The Exorcist, but let my aunt talk us into seeing this piece of garbage!

Wow, quite a film for your first R rated movie...although I can imagine that a 13 year old would get a kick out of there being a character named "Butt Cut" in the picture. I find it hard to believe that after the rape at the opening of the film your mom and aunt would have wanted to continue sitting there watching this with you...must have been interesting. By the time you reach Butt Cut's twisted rape in the warehouse your mom must have been wondering what she had done to her children. Did she run screaming from the theater with you at that point?

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Reggie W, about those stories concerning Marvin and Burton being drunk.
Are you "Proof" positive?:D

WilliamMcK

Second Unit
Real Name
Biff
Wow, quite a film for your first R rated movie...although I can imagine that a 13 year old would get a kick out of there being a character named "Butt Cut" in the picture. I find it hard to believe that after the rape at the opening of the film your mom and aunt would have wanted to continue sitting there watching this with you...must have been interesting. By the time you reach Butt Cut's twisted rape in the warehouse your mom must have been wondering what she had done to her children. Did she run screaming from the theater with you at that point?
I honestly couldn't say what was going through my aunt's mind. I know my mother still expresses embarrassment that she allowed my brother and me to sit through it. I don't remember too much about it, other than the rape scene with the mentally challenged guy.

I do know that we set out for HARRY AND TONTO (also rated R, but perhaps the most kid friendly R rated movie in the MPAA's history), and my aunt (who was driving) decided at the last minute she didn't want to sit through "that."

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
. . . . except that he doesn't know Goldfinger was directed by Guy Hamilton.

I missed that he said that but the rest of the review is pretty much the reaction to the film I would expect.

Perhaps he was so rattled by his viewing he could not keep straight which films Mr. Young had directed...:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks