What's new
World Wide Stereo

flat panel/on-wall speakers (1 Viewer)

vpulipati

Auditioning
Real Name
vasu
I've been trying to find people's experiences with flat panel/on-wall speakers compared to the regular/deep book-shelves or towers without much luck. As I understand these speakers are primarily made to go with the flat screen lcd/plasma tv's for better looks. My opinion is that when aesthetics take precedence, there's usually a trade-off on the performance. I'm wondering if thats true in this case. There has to be some difference between these 4"-5" thin speakers and the regular 10"-12" deep bookshelves no matter what. Can anyone share their experiences? They probably sound great for hometheater but what about for music listening?
I'm currently looking into Speakercraft Tantras, Def tech mythos, Niles PHDs and Atlantic Tech FS 3200s. I'm going to audition some of these speakers in a few days but I'm very interested in knowing others' opinions as well. Pls share your thoughts. Thanks much.

Vasu

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Ennsio

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
I haven't personally listened to flat panel or on-wall speakers to compare so I can't really them with bookshelves for sound quality, but I would add the Paradigm Millenias and the Martin Logan Vignettes to your list for auditions if you can hear them. I've heard good things about both these speakers and really like the sound of their bookshelves and floor standers.

eaglerider94

Agent
Real Name
Rick
I posted a similar question but didn't get any responses (see my thread below before I figure out how to remove it) . So much for the help in here.
I have been doing some research and listened to the ERA D4's & D'5 monitor speakers and found them to sound very good for their size, especially if your going to use them for both movie watching and music. I just may use these for my LCR. Still have my eye on the KEFF's 6000 though. Give them a listen. There's actually alot of positive reviews on this little dynamo of a speaker. Hope this helps.

pink

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
roger walters
I have a pair of LS-26 from source technologies which is use for my surround rears. You can check them out at index1. go to on walls they are the speakers at the bottom, these are world class, but they do cost $1800.00 a pair and only 5" deep. To get your moneys worth out of these speakers you would need a good processor and amplifier rated at least 350 watts per channel or more, I don't think a receiver would do these speakers any justice. A pair of these with a good 1000 watt sub and that's all you need. Martin Logan also makes a nice pair of flat speakers for around $1100.00, it all depends on how much you want to spend. Good luck...

vpulipati

Auditioning
Real Name
vasu
Thanks for all the responses. I guess these are fairly new types.. that's probably why no real stories about them. I was hoping to audition Mythos at a nearby dealer but just found out that he only has other Def tech speakers setup but not Mythos.. bummer!

I came across Paradigm Cinema series and wondering if anyone has opinions on 110 or 220 or 330 speakers?

Roger, are you talking about a poweful amplifier just for LS 26 or any on-wall speakers in general?

Alan, what would be the matching center and surrounds for MC1?

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
CC2 or CC3 for the center and another pair of MC1's for the surrounds. Before I had two systems as I do now, I used the MC1's as surrounds with a CC3 center and 1.6's for the fronts.....WOW!!

pink

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
roger walters
[ Just for the LS26 because not that they require that power to sound good, but they do sound awesome with a high powered amp. To me all speakers sound better with high powered amplifiers, the more power the better. Not everbody is going to agree with me, but if you have a pair of speakers and drive them with a 100 watt receiver their OK, take the same speakers and drive them with processor and a good amp you would'nt belive it's the same speakers. There are a lot of fine flat panel speakers on the market, like I said bevore it all depends on you budged. Some flat panels sound better than a lot of floorstanding speakers. What else you have to understand is that with low powered receivers and amps 150 watts or less your sound will overlaps, a good amp has the ability to stop the speakers. Now that is the key... Anything makes noise...

vpulipati

Auditioning
Real Name
vasu
Ok, I finally had a chance to listen to Atlantic Tech FS 3200s today. No luck with any other brands I considered initially or the ones others suggested. The local dealers don't have those specifc models available for audition.

I liked the sound from 3200s, but right after that I listened to 4200s which I felt sounded a little better. May be you lose some details with the flat model speakers but not to the point of disregarding them (at least for me). Given that I don't have room for big/deep speakers, I have decided to go with 3200s. Now I'm in a dilemma about the surrounds. Since I wanted in-ceiling speakers (WAF), one option would be 8" ones from Atlantic tech. They are a bit expensive, so I'm wondering if I can go with some other brand like Proficient audio. They have 8" in-ceiling speakers at a much lower price. I know people say that surrounds don't have to match with fronts for HT, but I want to know how would it sound if I'm playing music on all speakers. Any response will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brian13mt
Recent bookmarks