What's new

First Build Suggestions (1 Viewer)

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
The directions were telling me to screw the metal clip. But, I wouldn't be able to screw the metal clip without busting the CPU. So, I gave up on it. Might try it one other day.

Neal_C

Second Unit
Hmm, interesting. I haven't looked at the mounting instructions for that Zalman so I can't really give you any recommendations. Maybe I can find the instructions online.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
Is the cpu cooler much of a big deal? Because it seems to be running cool enough on the stock air fan. Even during games.

The PSU seems to be running hot though, it's the only fan that blows out hot air. But, I'm guessing that's just normal.

Neal_C

Second Unit
What are you using to determine that the cpu is running cool enough? There are some programs you can download, like speedfan, that will give you the temperatures. That is the only way you can be sure that the cpu is running cool enough.

More than likely if you aren't overclocking the stock heatsink/fan will keep the chip cool enough. But you need to download speedfan and check your temps so that you know for sure that the heatsink is installed correctly. If it isn't, you will know in your temps. The Zalman will be quite a bit better than the stock heatsink but if you aren't overclocking you probably won't need it.

You also need to download a program called Orthos and let it run a little bit. This program will run both cores at full load and stress test the cpu. If you have questions about temps, run speedfan and post your temps at idle and then we can go from there.

Neal_C

Second Unit
You might also download and run Coretemp as well. It will measure temps just like Speedfan but its nice to have two programs monitoring in case one of them decides to be flaky as Speedfan is known to do at times.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
Alright, I got them pics! :D

Me next to the computer:
http://img524.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ict0067pn4.jpg

The side window:
]http://img524.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ct0068pe3.jpg]
my.php

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
Shit, shit SHIT!!!

Ohh my god... I'm pissed... I tried putting that heatsink in, and got everything set up... well... so I thought... Turns out the little 4-spoke wire that extends the 20-spoke wire to 24, came out. I plugged it in, and SMOKE came out of the computer... Turns out I fried the motherboard... And I'm PISSED!

Right now I'm on the computer I had last. And, I can see how much faster my new computer was.

Who should I call? What should I tell them? I need to know before I get even more pissed and break something else...

That little light spot in the middle of the chip is the burn mark:

Again, the little light spot:

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Neal_C

Second Unit
Ouch. Sorry to hear and see that. So it is completely toast? Won't boot to Bios or anything?

I'm not sure who you could call. I don't know if you have a leg to really stand on.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
Nope, I turn it on and more smoke... It's completely fried... :frowning:

Chris

Senior HTF Member
ECS *the board maker* policy and almost every seller will not take back a part with physical damage. So, while I know this will -really- piss you off, you basically just ate a motherboard. Don't blame them, though.. Asus, Abit, MSI, Gigabyte, FoxConn, etc.. all of them will reject warranty returns on what they view as "physical damage"

The good news is that 650i motherboards are not that bad. I don't know where you bought parts, but if they have any sort of RMA system, they will reject your return as physical damage. :frowning:

Now, if the 4 pin came just unattached, normally you wouldn't get this.. if it's -partially- unattached, then you would get a grounding issue on the 3V rail, which means outside of your board, I'd be very suspect of the RAM in the system, and before you rely on it, I'd run a memtest 86+ on it.

I don't think there is anyone you'll call who will help in a warranty sense, I think you're just going to buy a new motherboard.

EDIT: I see you powered it up again after you got smoke the one time. I'm hoping main components (CPU, Video Card, memory) were not installed when you did that.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
The first time I powered it on, it wouldn't turn on and I smelt a little bit of burning plastic. But, there wasn't any smoke or fire, so I figured if I turn it off fast enough and fix whatever wire I attached wrong, it'll be just fine. But, after I attached it, that's when smoke, fire, smell became apparent. The mark isn't really all that noticeable, and I'm sure they aren't just going to power it on... So, they may send me a new part before they catch on to what actually happened. I'm going to tell them it didn't work at all. I'll tell them it's a DOA. Do you think they'll buy that?

Neal_C

Second Unit
You could definitely try the DOA route and see what happens. Really, at this point, you wouldn't have anything to lose (sans some ethical integrity perhaps). The mobo is toast anyway. Worse they can say is it shows damage from improper use and deny your return. At that point, you are no worse off than you are right now (except you had to pay some return shipping).

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Yep. You can give it a try.. (just as an FYI, if you used somewhere like NewEgg, Fry's or ZipZoomFly, they will, in fact, do a POST test before accepting the product in return)

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
Crap, iof they test it, they'll DEFINITELY see the smoke/flame/smell... damn it! :frowning:

Chris

Senior HTF Member
It's not a disaster, it's a learning experience. Look, I know it feels like a gut check, but if you come down and it's just the board that's bad, then you're all good. I would do a flight test before you put in another board, though.. get a power supply tester and make sure you didn't get a short across the ground rail (which would cause a PSU to fluctuate) a good tester can be found really cheap (like $15). After you get a build done, do a Memtest 86+ on your memory to verify it.

Take a deep breath. It'll be OK :)

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
I pretty much know it's just the mobo, I didn't connect a wire right, and it fried. I'm going to send it back to newegg saying it never worked in the first place.

Neal_C

Second Unit

Chris is right though. For 15 bucks get yourself a tester and just be sure. $15 is worth the piece of mind that you won't fry your next $100+ mobo.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I would test. Not connecting a wire right that resulted in blowing a board means you should at minimum test your PSU (a small cost) and of course run memtest (Free). If you did get a short across the rails of your PSU, you want to know first, before you start using it or fire up a new system just to cook it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks