What's new

First Build Suggestions (1 Viewer)

Neal_C

Second Unit
You need to download it and burn the .ISO to a cd. Knoppix is a "Live" version of Linux which means you can run it off the CD without installing anything.

Change your BIOS settings to boot from cd/dvd first instead of the hard drive. Put the disc in and reboot. It will boot from the disc and give you the option to run Knoppix or do other things...one of those other things will be Memtest. Run it.

Depending on the mobo and bios, the options for timings may be hidden. On my Gigabyte DS3 I have to push CTRL-F1 at the main Bios menu and then I have timing options. If I dont' push those buttons, my timings options are hidden.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
I can't find a .iso file...

EDIT:
This is annoying... I can't find a .iso file anywhere.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
I'm downloading KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso from knoppix.com.

Tell me if I'm downloading the wrong thing please! :)

EDIT:
The download failed... :frowning:

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
Just copy the whole thing to a CD?

Alright. I Used Win RAR to unpack it, and now I put them all in a folder. What should I do now? Just copy everything in the folder, and paste it inside of a CD?

Neal_C

Second Unit
You want to download the .iso image and then burn that image to a cd or dvd. You don't want to unpack the contents. Just burn the image to a cd.

Neal_C

Second Unit
Burn the .iso and leave the cd in the drive. Reboot your computer and go into the Bios and make the cd/dvd drive the first boot priority. Exit the bios and when it reboots, it will read the cd first and should give you some options one of which should be to run Memtest.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
You're probably not correctly burning the ISO file to the CD. It's not simply burning the ISO file to the CD, but finding the "burn image" option and then point the burning program to the *.ISO file, and then the CD being burned will have the bootup files burnt to it after reading what's inside the ISO file.

For example: I still use Nero 6.0, and to burn an ISO file, I click "Recorder" and then select "burn image..." and then point to the ISO file that I want to burn to the CD. Your CD burning program should have similar ISO burning capabilities.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Bobby-

I really don't mean this to be mean, so please do not take it this way. If you're really new to playing with Linux, burning CDs, etc. Knoppix is probably not what I would suggest.

Ubuntu also probably wouldn't be it, though maybe closer. I'd recommend using a Linux distro that runs exclusively off a CD (bootable) or a pen drive so you can play with it and get comfortable.

Right now, you're wanting to get a bootable disc primarily to do memtest right?

You can download Memtest 86+ free as a burnable ISO:

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

And just run it directly.

Here's my caution I give everyone on overclocking. Try a setting, run a test, in the end, your overclock means far less if you overclock to anything and the heat spikes or you crash all the time. If you do the right testing you can come up with a good "tipping point". Overclocking has all sorts of impacts that can vary based on periphials you have.. for example, I know someone who has a pre-overclocked system they paid a ton for from Dell.. which works fine, except the moment they hook up a USB->Bluetooth dongle, the thing goes apeshit unless they downclock.

So, always remember there are tons of variables, and try to figure out the test as you go.

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
I... Give up... I've gone through 4 CD's, and I still can't get it to work...

bobbyg2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bobby Geiser
I brought the RAM back down to stock speed... And, I changed the timings. My motherboard had the timings on 5-5-5-5-15. While stock timings are 4-4-4-4-12. So, now, I have it running a bit faster, actually. It's running a little faster even when the 5-15 was OCed to 950MHz. And, it's also running cooler.

I'm doing a tiny bit of modding to the case. I took out the metal pieces in the drive bays for more air-flow, used the fan from the stock Intel HSF as an intake fan, took out the air filters from the metal mesh, and rerouted a few wires. My CPU temps went down an additional 7c (idle). Now, I want to do another modification, but this one will be a little hard... I want to take the side window out, and replace it with metal mesh. then, put a few fans there to cool down my soaring GPU and bridge temps.

Does anyone know where I can buy the metal mesh that they use in my case?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks