Farscape Canceled

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Beveridge, Sep 6, 2002.

1. Chris Beveridge

Chris Beveridge Second Unit

2. Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter Screenwriter

Yeah, I saw this on Aint-It-Cool-News, and from what's being said over there it's not like this is happening in a month or anything, they're literally gonna start dismantling the sets in a couple of days!!!

I'd like someone to explain to me how this gets cancelled but humongous crap like "Lexx" just keeps going and going. I swear, I can't believe that stupid show lasted a week!

3. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

I'm sure they lost quite a few viewers in the giant 2001 hiatus, and from what I hear ratings this season haven't been as good as before.
    I kind of lost interest in the show when Zhaan was written out but watched periodically through Season 3. I really didn't care for where they took the characters emotionally last season, so I didn't finish the season and haven't seen any season 4 eps. Such a brave and interesting show deserves a conclusion though.... not some unceremonious dumpage! [​IMG]

4. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

Sean,
    As a Lexx fan and a Farscape non-fan, I can see it! The two shows are on completely different levels. I leave it as an exercise to the reader to figure out which is the higher one. [​IMG]
    Martin.

5. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

Everything has to end eventually. Although I had hoped for at least 5 seasons we can't have it all. For me the show has changed and I can understand why viewership has dropped. Seasons one and two were much better than what's been going on in 3 and so far 4. For me most of what I saw of season 4 sucked. I had been very disappointed. But there were some in both seasons that I enjoyed and overall I still enjoy the whole series. I will certainly miss Claudia Black. When they do air the rest of season 4 beginning in January, I hope they wrap up the series nicely and don't end it cold turkey.
    [​IMG]

6. Michael St. Clair

I thought they had already contracted through Season 5.

This surprises me a bit.

You know, there are perpetual 'Farscape Canceled' hoaxes on Usenet, it's kind of become an in-joke.

I'm not sure what to think.

7. Michael St. Clair

From a live chat with Kemper:

8. SpenceJT

SpenceJT Second Unit

Jeff Spencer
    It's also listed on The Digital Bits
    The series has been cancelled (unless the fans can save it). Will the remaining seasons of Farscape ever see the light of day?

9. Eric Sevigny

Eric Sevigny Stunt Coordinator

*sigh
    Just when I thought I had finally found something worthwhile to watch they cancel it (I've been in some kind of sci-fi denial since I stopped watching ST:Voyager - it got dull/boring you name it). At least I have a couple seasons/episodes I never saw to look forward to (I'm just in season 1 I would guess - Have to watch it french-dubbed though, but picked up a couples of R2s DVD too [​IMG] ).
    As for Lexx, I have just got into that one too (first season "movies") and I must say I like it quite a lot. I would call it refreshingly weird. But isn't that serie over? I've read it ended after 4 seasons (maybe it's still showing on Sci-Fi channel in the states?).

10. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

Well, there goes the last TV show that I watch on a regular basis. [​IMG]
    Also, it was the only worthwhile show that Sci-Fi has. (Sorry to the Lexx fans, but I think your show sucks.) I've also haven't been happy with the way Sci-Fi has been treating the show like a bastard stepchild, dividing the season into three parts, with months of dead space in between. For a network that claims to "love" the show, their actions sure don't reflect that.
    I'm also wondering if the unconventional "seasons" were hurting the overall plot structure, not really having much time to develop anything before a hiatus hits, then having to having to write clifhangers in midseason to try keeping people hooked with something memorable.
    I'm sad to hear it. I guess I'm just using my TV to watch football now...
    Jason

11. Wayne W

Wayne W Stunt Coordinator

Here is some contact information if you want to voice your opinions about them cancelling the show:
    http://www.sf-fandom.com/vbulletin/s...threadid=30310
    If they are tearing down the sets then it may be too late to change their mind, but I really hate to see this great show leave.

12. Mike St.Louis

Mike St.Louis Supporting Actor

This is very bad news. Farscape was one of the most imaginative science fiction shows I have ever seen.

So now all that's left is Enterprise?

I am so depressed...

13. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

This is the show that put Sci-Fi on the map, and this is how they treat it? Yeah, lets tear down the sets! Burn it! Trash it! Maybe we can bring back new episodes of The Chronicle!

For those of you who did not like where the series was going lately, remember... it was never predictable Trek. You never knew what was coming, and to me, that always made it very refreshing and often stimulating. Also keep in mind that since they thought they had another whole season, there probably would have been quite a few big pay-offs in season 5. Now we will be left with a cliffhanger. Nice.

I think I'm giving up on the Sci-fi Channel. As far as I'm concerned they can take Taken and the Dune sequel and shove them up their frelling... well, I'm sure you get the point.

Ric

14. Jacob Perry

Jacob Perry Stunt Coordinator

What a pisser.

Im really upset about the timing. At least give everyone a chance to give the show a resolution.

Well... (raises a glass). To my favorite SciFi show ever!

JP

15. Lee Jamilkowski

Lee Jamilkowski Stunt Coordinator

Sci Fi really screwed the pooch on this one. I've already called, however it seems like their voice mail boxes are full and not accepting new messages, but my letter is almost ready... just need to throw in Sci Fi's address and mail it. Plus I've sent e-mails.
    Farscape, for those who think it lost it's "thing" for a while, seems to be getting it back. Season four has definitely been interesting... not to mention, Zhaan has made two appearances this season. Not bad for a dead plant. Same with Crais.
    Crackers do matter...

16. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit

I was never into the show but I wrote the network anyway. I'm still mad as hell about they way they treated Sliders.[​IMG] Fortunately, this the last season for Stargate SG-1.

17. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Actually Stargate may continue another season. I like both shows and im mad as hell farscape is cancelled. There phone mail boxes being full is good news. Keep calling because monday morning someone has to check them out and then they will need refilling :) Send those faxes using the free service and anything else you feel like doing

capt

18. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    Keep checking this website for information. http://farscape.wdsection.com/
    It's probably too late, but David Kemper did ask the fans to voice their disappointment to SciFi Channel. It can't hurt, and you never know.
    Frell!

19. Mike Franklin

Mike Franklin Stunt Coordinator

So far there has never been a show on Sci Fi that has gone past 3 or 4 seasons. I guess they like to keep there shows fresh or something. G vs E and The Invisible man had strong followings and when they cancelled them with out a thought. I just hope they replace it with something worth while.

20. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Yeah they'll replace it with another showing of the "Sci Fi" movie Field of Dreams. Sci fi really does'nt have a clue. They have the worst people in charge of Programming.